Newbie: DNS Setup in Two Locations

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Hello,
I want to setup DNS Servers in two locations A and B. These two
locations are connected via Point-Point with FULL T1. Two networks are
192.168 and 172.20 respectively.
I have setup a DC with a.abc.com (Frist Server in the network). Now
how do I create b.abc.com? To creat child domain I donot see parent
domain. Will a.abc.com will act like a parent domain?
Please help.
Thanks
Kris
26 answers Last reply
More about newbie setup locations
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I want to setup DNS Servers in two locations A and B. These two
    > locations are connected via Point-Point with FULL T1. Two networks are
    > 192.168 and 172.20 respectively.
    > I have setup a DC with a.abc.com (Frist Server in the network). Now
    > how do I create b.abc.com?

    You would have to DCPromo the server at location B as a "New Domain in an
    existing forest."
    This would not be a child domain, it would be a new domain tree in an
    existing forest.

    > To creat child domain I donot see parent
    > domain.

    To create a child domain, and be able to resolve a.abc.com you have to
    forward b.a.abc.com DNS to a.abc.com, then create a delegation named b in
    the a.abc.com, using the DNS at b.a.abc.com as the Name server.

    > Will a.abc.com will act like a parent domain?

    Only if the location B domain is named b.a.abc.com.

    If you want users at site A to have access to resources at site B and
    Vice-versa without having to assign explicite permissions at each site,
    DCPromo the server at Site B as a replica Domain Controller. This will make
    Administration much easier because you would not have to configure
    permissions separately for each site.

    You could still set a connection specific suffix for each site's members so
    that each sites resources are kept in separate DNS zones. That would be
    a.a.abc.com at site A and b.a.abc.com at site B. You would not have to
    create any separate zones this way, your zone would basically look like
    this: (Plus the AD folders)
    a.abc.com
    \a
    \b

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin,
    Thank you for the response.
    But here are some questions based on your recommendations and some misread
    due to my wording sorry for that.
    NOTE: All I'm using Win2KAdv DNS server is only for DNS purpose nothing else
    (atleast at this time).
    a. In order to make b.abc.com a "NEW Domain in existing forest" I need to
    provide "Network Credentials" and What domain name should be inputed?
    b. Since I have created a DC with a.abc.com now my forest starts at
    a.abc.com? Not abc.com? If I do want to create abc.com and a.abc.com in the
    same server since its located at location A and create b.abc.com part of
    abc.com would I then still create DC for b and under abc.com forest and I
    would be able to see abc.com?
    c. misread part: will a.abc.com will act like a parent domain? Is actually
    releated to part of B question since its ONE server (thought abc.com and
    a.abc.com)
    Thanks
    Kris
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > Thank you for the response.
    > But here are some questions based on your recommendations and some
    > misread due to my wording sorry for that.
    > NOTE: All I'm using Win2KAdv DNS server is only for DNS purpose
    > nothing else (atleast at this time).
    > a. In order to make b.abc.com a "NEW Domain in existing forest" I
    > need to provide "Network Credentials" and What domain name should be
    > inputed?

    You need to use the credentials for the Administrator account of the
    existing forest.

    > b. Since I have created a DC with a.abc.com now my forest starts at
    > a.abc.com? Correct
    Not abc.com? Correct

    If I do want to create abc.com and a.abc.com
    > in the same server since its located at location A and create
    > b.abc.com part of abc.com would I then still create DC for b and
    > under abc.com forest and I would be able to see abc.com?

    You have already created a.abc.com, it will be your Forest Root domain, its
    children will be child.a.abc.com.
    Or you can create a new tree b.abc.com, but a.abc.com will still be the
    forest root.

    I don't think it will let you start a new tree at abc.com, but I could be
    wrong. Usually abc.com would be the forest root, and its children would be
    a.abc.com and b.abc.com and so on.
    You could also start a new tree at abc.net for example, but a.abc.com would
    still be abc.net's forest root.

    > c. misread part: will a.abc.com will act like a parent domain?

    Not necessarily parent, forest root. A forest root can be a parent domain,
    but it does not have to be, it can also be in a different tree. For istance
    you can create a new tree named b.abc.com, for which a.abc.com is its forest
    root.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Also please NOTE: IP networks are different
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kevin,
    What domain name should I provide in Network credentials?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > What domain name should I provide in Network credentials?

    I already said, the Forest root Administrator account. Probably
    Administrator@a.abc.com if that is your forest root, I'm not sure what your
    Forest Root domain name is.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kevin,
    If I had to redo the servers what is the correct procedure?
    a. Create abc.com w/DC
    b. Create a.abc.com domain in DNS (they are one server abc.com and
    a.abc.com).
    c. Create b.abc.com domain in DNS (w/DC?) in separate server located at site
    b.
    d. What about IP networks wouldn't that be a issue? 192 network to 172
    network?

    Thanks
    Kris
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > If I had to redo the servers what is the correct procedure?
    > a. Create abc.com w/DC

    I would put both DCs in the same domain. you really need two DCs per domain,
    anyway. Creating child domains and new domain trees don't help for failover.

    > b. Create a.abc.com domain in DNS (they are one server abc.com and
    > a.abc.com).

    This would work, but it only gives you one DC per domain.

    > c. Create b.abc.com domain in DNS (w/DC?) in separate server located
    > at site b.
    > d. What about IP networks wouldn't that be a issue? 192 network to 172
    > network?
    No issue, you would set up static Routes between the two subnets. So that
    each router is aware of the other subnet and how to get to it.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kevin,
    At network credentials:
    Username: administrator@a.abc.com
    password: pwd
    domain: a.abc.com
    when clicked next I get :
    The domain "a.abc.com" is not an active directory domain or domain
    controller for the domain could be contacted"
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Kris
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > At network credentials:
    > Username: administrator@a.abc.com
    > password: pwd
    > domain: a.abc.com
    > when clicked next I get :
    > The domain "a.abc.com" is not an active directory domain or domain
    > controller for the domain could be contacted"

    The machine must use the address of the first DC for DNS only.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kevin,
    You are right I was trying to create failover type system but anyway can you
    provide me steps please since my mind is confused I cannot catch your point
    so easily.
    This DNS domains and Active Directory domains are confusing me out. Please
    provide step-by-step instructions.
    Thanks
    Kris
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > The machine must use the address of the first DC for DNS only.
    in other words ....
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > You are right I was trying to create failover type system but anyway
    > can you provide me steps please since my mind is confused I cannot
    > catch your point so easily.
    > This DNS domains and Active Directory domains are confusing me out.
    > Please provide step-by-step instructions.
    > Thanks
    > Kris

    For best failover reliability.

    First get static routes on your routers set up so you can ping IP addresses
    in both subnets.
    Set up your first DC using your choice of domain name, when you promote the
    second DC, it must use the first DC for DNS only.
    Promote it as a replica DC
    After AD has fully replicated, your zone should exist on both DNS servers.
    Turn off round robin, Turn on Enable Netmask Ordering (Advanced tab)

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris

    It not really possible for you to be provided a step by step guide until you
    explain clearly and precisely what you want and even then technet and the MS
    support site are the best resources for specific deployment info

    It is confusing and needs some careful planning, but if you have a specific
    question let us know

    Unfortunatly the only way this subject becomes less confusing is reading,then
    reading, a wecast or two, a technet art, reading - you get the idea.
    Webcasts are cool cus you can just sit there and have some one explain it to
    you - better than reading

    Good Luck

    Simon

    Kris wrote:
    >Also please NOTE: IP networks are different

    --
    Simon Whyley
    MCP XP,2Kpro

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I want to setup DNS Servers in two locations A and B.
    > These two locations are connected via Point-Point with
    > FULL T1. Two networks are 192.168 and 172.20 respectively.

    Before you try anything else, ensure that you have network
    connectivity between the two locations. Use ping and other
    tools.

    > I have setup a DC with a.abc.com (First Server in the
    > network). Now how do I create b.abc.com? To creat child
    > domain I donot see parent domain. Will a.abc.com will
    > act like a parent domain?

    I would set up your server as a standalone server. Setup its
    NIC with the DNS of the first Domain. Check that you can
    connect to the DNS on the first Domain over the network. You
    don't have to login or anything - just use nslookup. If you
    first Domain server is set up to query the Internet DNS,
    that's good. Use the first Domain's DNS to look up, say,
    www.microsoft.com.

    If all is OK, run DCPROMO on the new server, tell the AD
    setup that this is a new tree in an existing forest, and it
    should connect to the DNS in the existing Domain and do the
    upgrade.

    With Domains a.abc.com as root and b.abc.com as a new tree
    you have two disjoint DNS spaces - they don't overlap - so
    you have to have a new tree

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris wrote:

    > Also please NOTE: IP networks are different

    This is of no consequence.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris wrote:

    > Also please NOTE: IP networks are different

    Sorry, this is of no consquence if the two networks
    can communicate. Test this with tools like 'ping'

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Simon,
    As I explained in the first post that I want to have two DNS servers in two
    locations and share the resources (view them in network neighbourhood).
    Regards,
    Kris
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Enkidu,
    Thanks for the responses.

    Two networks can ping each other no problems.
    I will put DNS entry of Server A into Server B and see what happens.

    But how would you setup/plan out with what I want to achieve;
    Two DNS and share the resources (view in Network Neighbourhood).

    Thanks
    Kris
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Enkidu,
    After applying DNS entry of Server A into Server B BINGO!!!! I was able to
    pass thru' Network Credentials window.
    I was wondering what type of config will this be:
    In ServerA --- put DNS entry of Server B
    In ServerB --- put DNS entry of Server A
    Do I need forwarders (DNS Mgmt) then?

    Thanks
    Kris
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Kris wrote:
    > Enkidu,
    > After applying DNS entry of Server A into Server B BINGO!!!!
    > I was able to pass thru' Network Credentials window.
    > I was wondering what type of config will this be:
    > In ServerA --- put DNS entry of Server B
    > In ServerB --- put DNS entry of Server A
    > Do I need forwarders (DNS Mgmt) then?

    I guess you mean into the NIC DNSes. Glad it worked.

    In order to decide what to define where, consider what is
    going to happen a) when it is working and b) when one of the
    DNS servers fails or goes down. If both servers are working
    the clients can look up the necessary information and
    register themselves in DNS in either of them, which then
    propogate the information. It is therefore useful to have
    them both defined in each client, but it doesn't matter in
    which order.

    A DNS server is also a DNS client, and therefore should have
    both. When Server A comes up it might be beneficial if it
    could do its login etc with the other DNS since its own DNS
    may not be fully functional at that stage. Therefore it
    might be best to put the other server *first* in the
    server's NIC definitions. Same for the other server, as a
    client.

    As far as forwarders goes, they are used to forward request
    to an external DNS for Internet access. If you want your
    clients to access Internet sites, then you will need to
    configure forwarders to point to some Internet DNS.
    Alternatively you can let the DNS use 'root hints' to
    recursively look up Internet addresses.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Cliff,
    Are you saying I never have to configure anything under forwarders as well
    as reverse lookup section in DNS Console (unless Inet lookups)? It should be
    blank? Everything (local) gets resolved via DNS services (nic's having dns
    ip numbers)?
    Thanks
    Kris

    "Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
    > Kris wrote:
    >> Enkidu,
    >> After applying DNS entry of Server A into Server B BINGO!!!!
    > > I was able to pass thru' Network Credentials window.
    >> I was wondering what type of config will this be:
    >> In ServerA --- put DNS entry of Server B
    >> In ServerB --- put DNS entry of Server A
    >> Do I need forwarders (DNS Mgmt) then?
    >>
    > I guess you mean into the NIC DNSes. Glad it worked.
    >
    > In order to decide what to define where, consider what is going to happen
    > a) when it is working and b) when one of the DNS servers fails or goes
    > down. If both servers are working the clients can look up the necessary
    > information and register themselves in DNS in either of them, which then
    > propogate the information. It is therefore useful to have them both
    > defined in each client, but it doesn't matter in which order.
    >
    > A DNS server is also a DNS client, and therefore should have both. When
    > Server A comes up it might be beneficial if it could do its login etc with
    > the other DNS since its own DNS may not be fully functional at that stage.
    > Therefore it might be best to put the other server *first* in the server's
    > NIC definitions. Same for the other server, as a client.
    >
    > As far as forwarders goes, they are used to forward request to an external
    > DNS for Internet access. If you want your clients to access Internet
    > sites, then you will need to configure forwarders to point to some
    > Internet DNS. Alternatively you can let the DNS use 'root hints' to
    > recursively look up Internet addresses.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Also I'm getting error Event ID: 7062
    The DNS Server encountered a packet addressed to itself -- IP address
    192.168.xxx.xxx(my dns server ip address).
    Please help.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    In news:uxRLQJOrFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> made this post, which I then commented about
    below:
    > Also I'm getting error Event ID: 7062
    > The DNS Server encountered a packet addressed to itself -- IP address
    > 192.168.xxx.xxx(my dns server ip address).
    > Please help.

    A forwarder will normally eliminate that error. It can also be due to a
    delegation misonfiguration or the domain controller is multihomed.

    Here's more info on it:
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7062&eventno=479&source=DNS&phase=1

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    =================================
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Ace,
    Its not multihomed.
    I found one suggestion in google search to put a check for Disable Recursion
    under Advaced Tab of Server properties.
    I have no more messages of it.
    Thanks
    Kris
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    In news:O6mFMWjrFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Kris <k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> made this post, which I then commented about
    below:
    > Ace,
    > Its not multihomed.
    > I found one suggestion in google search to put a check for Disable
    > Recursion under Advaced Tab of Server properties.
    > I have no more messages of it.
    > Thanks
    > Kris

    Disable recursion under the adv tab eliminates it from allowing anyone else
    to use this machine as a forwader, but also stops it from looking elsewhere.

    If you reenabled recursion and confgured a forwarder, does it work? In my
    experience, a forwarder eliminates that error.

    Ace

Domain Active Directory Windows Server DNS Microsoft Windows