Should I Do this Trading thing??

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Okay, so
This guy has posted on the internet that, as his two sons are going to university, he is in short of money and his current business, a small computer store in BC wasn't going too well. So he decided to close it.

He gave me this deal,
AMD 3800+ AM2
Asrock Mobo
Corsair 1gb Dual Chen 6400 800ghz
BFG 7900gt
Silverstone SG01
OCZ 600w GameXTreme PSU

for 725 CANADIAN!!!

It is an amazing deal.

BUT here's the thing, he wanted me to pay 400$ over Western Union system ( I DONOT know what this is but is it safe???)

Before, sending the items to my address.
AND once the products COME IN, then i can pay the rest later.

Is this safe?? Should i Risk it?
I don't think hes' lying though...
:?

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
yeh, pms in Gotfrag.com gaming site.
But isn't there a way to sue 'em back if they don't send it since i would know their bank account sutff?

Is Western Union well-known?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Western Union is well known around the world as far as money transactions are concerned. But, I'd be careful because you don't know who you are talking to. Western Union has nothing to do with bank accounts. The way it works is that you go to some place that has a Western Union office (it could be a grocery store or gas station even) and give them $$$$$ (cash, not checks or anything) and it would be wired to whatever Western Union station he told you to send it to. He'd be there and would pick it up (he would be given real cash) and then you'd have to rely on his honesty. Obviously he is interested in getting it as fast as possible because, other than Bid Pay or PayPal, it's the fastest method. However, unlike Bid Pay or PayPal, you are not protected from fraud. Pay Pal, especially, is serious about things like that.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Is Western Union well-known?

Yes. But I'd check with Western Union to make sure that they have some form of money-back guarantee in case the guy scams you.

When you say AMD 3800+, do you mean the Athlon 64 3800+, or the Athlon 64 X2 3800+? The X2 is a dual-core processor, which means that you'll be more future-proof than with a single core processor.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I agree with the duck on this issue. However, I have sent money via Western Union before and they didn't really require much from me beyond identification. I mean, if a criminal investigation were to ensue they could give you the indetification info that he gave them but how do you know if it is real? I would most definitely question Western Union about any money back guarantees or if they hire out ninjas to track an offender down.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Okay, so
This guy has posted on the internet that, as his two sons are going to university, he is in short of money and his current business, a small computer store in BC wasn't going too well. So he decided to close it.

He gave me this deal,
AMD 3800+ AM2
Asrock Mobo
BFG 7900gt
Silverstone SG01
OCZ 600w GameXTreme PSU

for 725 CANADIAN!!!

It is an amazing deal.

BUT here's the thing, he wanted me to pay 400$ over Western Union system ( I DONOT know what this is but is it safe???)

Sounds like a classic Western Union scam to me. YOu lose $400.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Okay, so

He gave me this deal,
AMD 3800+ AM2
Asrock Mobo
BFG 7900gt
Silverstone SG01
OCZ 600w GameXTreme PSU

for 725 CANADIAN!!!

It is an amazing deal.

I tried selling my old old camera thru a newspaper ad. The guy was in Africa. I did some Google searches and found out I was about to be scammed. I also got emails from "Western union" but they were not from them. It contained fake tracking numbers and the images were really bad quality. THERE WERE ALSO TONS OF SPELLING MISTAKES!!!! Be careful...

-qwazzy

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'd ask the guy if he'll accept paypal. If I'm not mistaken, they offer some sort of protection against smammers. Or if you pay with most kinds of credit cards, they offer protection, as well. Western Union money orders seem kinds risky.

I tried selling my old old camera thru a newspaper ad. The guy was in Africa.

ROFL; how'd someone in Africa see your newspaper ad?

Okay, so

He gave me this deal,
AMD 3800+ AM2
Asrock Mobo
BFG 7900gt
Silverstone SG01
OCZ 600w GameXTreme PSU

for 725 CANADIAN!!!

It is an amazing deal.

Sounds like a classic Western Union scam to me. YOu lose $400.

yep.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I will ask about paypal, but i dont even know anything about it,

In the list, he means 3800+ single core.

But for $725 Canadian, i think its a great deal.

If he accepts paypal... then should i go and do it?

Hes like...
"I want the deposit first because once i open the packages to send it by UPS, I lose the MFR warranty(?), so incase you don't want the products, i cannot resell them... :S"

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
In the list, he means 3800+ single core.

But for $725 Canadian, i think its a great deal.

For that price, it is a great deal.

If he accepts paypal... then should i go and do it?

Hes like...
"I want the deposit first because once i open the packages to send it by UPS, I lose the MFR warranty(?), so incase you don't want the products, i cannot resell them... :S"

I don't understand why he'd need to open the packages to send it by UPS. Does he mean that he's going to open all the boxes and throw all the components in one big box and ship it via UPS? For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy it.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
hes gon prebuild the parts so that there's less shippin nd handling or something since he's paying for the s/h.

Also, i think he wants at least alil bit of a deposit before becuase he think imma get the parts and run away with it....

EVEN THOUGH he has my mailling adrress.... :?
But if you Actaully read my pms,.... it REALLY sounds like hes honest...
which makes it more suspicious.. hah.

tekturk

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Don't do it. Another sneaky bastard trying to pull the Western Union scam. Thousands of people get scammed by this incredible scam technique every year. Save yourself a $400 and/or add couple hundrend dollars more then go get a new system.

Simply Do not do it.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Dude, this deal IS too good to be true. It is too cheap. Go over to the eBay forums and Western Union is regarded as a scammers best friend. Hardly any ID is needed, just a trasaction number (I believe).

I would personally go with reliable Escrow service over Paypal. I would never deal with Western Union is such a deal. Only use Western Union with your best friend, but run a background check, just in case ;)

Western Union + Great Deal = SCAM

No offense, but why would he pick you out of the entire user database? Why not use eBay, that PC would sell for loads more than 700 Candian. There are small fees, of course, but they are tiny. No reason at all. SCAM, stay away. I'd report this guy to a Mod, shut him down.

~Ibrahim~

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
he posted first actaully,
saying that he is closing down hes store

he gave a list of products with VERY LOW prices for each.

and i just gave him my build form before and it was way cheaper.

Hes like
" im visiting Ontario soon for my sons university so, we can arrange a meeting there and trade..."

I guess im only going to trade in person.. and f*** Western Union.
:)

Oh, man dude follow everyones advice and RUN from this like it was the plague. First rule of thumb, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
If you send money to this guy via Western Union, about all that will happen is he will have your $400 and you will have no way of getting it back.
Sending Western Union is just a fast way to get cash from point "A" to point "B". Period.
Always, ALWAYS buy with a Bank Card or Credit Card. If it's a scam, or you do not get what you paid for, you can have your card company reverse the charge and get your money back.
If he won't take a Credit Card, just shut the door on this deal and look elsewhere for reputable reseller. It ain't gonna cost you that much more, and at least you know you'll be getting what you paid for.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If you are doing a pick-up, that is much more careful. If possible, make sure you can test the machine so he doesn't run off, but if he is willing to do a pickup, it makes him sound better

I'd bring a beefy friend, just in case things get ugly.

~Ibrahim~

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Like others have said, it sticks out like a sore thumb, meaning it is more likely to be a scam than anything else.

Also, think about it. He is trusting you to send him the remainder of the money once you get the system. I am not saying you are not honest but I am saying that no honest to goodness merchant would ever do that.

Call Newegg and tell them that you'll send them $400 for a system configured like that and, that after you get it you'll send them the rest :wink: Point out to them that they know where you live - I'm sure that will comfort them a great deal :wink:

I forgot to mention, the only people that "knowing where you live" is a guarantee you will pay, don't sell computers! :wink:

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I'd bring a beefy friend, just in case things get ugly.
Best, safe advice, :wink:

The Only Way imma trade is if he actually comes here wiith ALL the parts in the Retail Boxes....

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I know it's disappointing and no one would blame you for being a bit down about it because spending money on computer parts can get expensive.

Everything everyone is saying is good advice and no one wants to see you get ripped off.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I thought this a good time to tell a horror "great deal" story.

A few years ago, I saw on eBay a P4 2.8Ghz with a GeForce Ti 4600 and 1GB of RAM for only $1400. A great deal, so I thought. OK, it was a great deal back then, judging by the video card you can see how old that really was. So I win the bid, Paypal the money over. A week passes by, nothing. I write numerous emails, no response. I get frustrated and threaten legal action. Then he FINALLY responds telling me that he is working through college and it is taking him to time to build it. I was amazed! He wrote in the description that he had the computer for a while and realized he didn't need it! I used some legal action, and he gave some excuse that he was through college, blah blah blah. Turns out he was trying to scam me, he didn't even have the parts for it.

Be happy this won't become you.

~Ibrahim~

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you can meet the guy in person, and test the computer to make sure that it works, then it becomes more serious. If he brings with all the components in their original boxes, with all the warranty information, etc., and then put it together to prove that it works, I think that you should take the deal.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If you can meet the guy in person, and test the computer to make sure that it works, then it becomes more serious. If he brings with all the components in their original boxes, with all the warranty information, etc., and then put it together to prove that it works, I think that you should take the deal.

Well my only worry then would be the parts are hot.