Flamethrower, a Public Note to You!

G

Welp, I think I'm finally tired of this bullshit. Does anyone else feel like a forest ranger who spends his time running around to put out all the fires started by Flamethrower?

Flame, I wouldn't have such a problem with you if you would just post your opinion and state it as such. Instead, you believe everything you say is gospel when in actuality it is just more of the bullshit I mentioned above.

You are not only arrogant, but you also take every opportunity to misinform people with some inane sort of new data. Rarely are the sources for the information respected. Most if the drivel you spew comes from your own wacked out head.

Please give it a rest. It appears that the only thing you live for is to rant about something or someone. That is truly a sad state of affairs.

G

Dang, that is kind of harsh. What exactly was that in reference to?

G

I can understand epoth's frustration. I mean, a few weeks ago Flame was praising the Compaq 7020, saying there was absolutely no ghosting whatsoever, and now he is telling people not to get it, saying there is way too much ghosting. The same thing with the MVA thing. But epoth, if you got a prob with him, try private messaging him. Making this a public announcement is.....well, it's freakin stupid to put it frankly. Don't be a hardass.

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

Naw, I figure it's about time I start checking this board once every week or two instead of every morning. I wanted to make sure I got that off of the top of my ahead before I forgot.

It is extremely frustrating to feel like you have to post on every topic simply because someone needs to debunk each new piece of BS that flame comes up with. It's not constructive and is a serious waste of time.

Good week!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Do u want me to leave? Just say so. Wanna know why I'm pissed w/ teh TFT7020? Compaq lied to me. Do u not realize that? Also, I have sadly had to go through 3 TFT7020's, the first was doa, the 2nd was the wrong one, and I'm teh 3rd right now which I'm returning, and just getting my $$ back. Honestly, that is annoying. Do u have any idea how much time I've spent dealing w/ Compaq?? Also, the LCD's varied like crazy. The 1st was mad bright, and there was some ghosting w/ mouse. The 2nd actually seemed to have a better rt, and there was evidently less ghosting, and I actually got teh pic to look great. Then the third which I recieved about a week ago has a beatiful line of brightness on the side, slower rt apparently b/c more ghosting, and I can't put my finger on it, but the pic is always too bright or too dark. It also arrived with a nice, complementary coffee stain on it! This is bs man, and you know it! That is why I don't reccomend TFT7020 anymore. Also, as Buddwm tried the little movie thing for me on a VG191 and said it looked nice. I look at both personal opinions and reviews, but reviews often are not very impartial. Tell me if u want me to leave though, please do.
Edit- this was aimed at Epoth.

Sig of the week.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 03/06/02 12:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

epoth, now you're pissing me off. We don't want to hear your damn public post. I agree that Flame can get under your skin, but it has helped us a lot in a way. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be researching LCD's as much as I do, and as a result I know a lot more than I thoght I ever would. Now go back to your troll cave and you and flame handle this PRIVATELY. This is an LCD forum, and we have no time for such useless posts here.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh, one more thing, I try to tell teh truth as much as possible. Would you rather I just cover up everything important? I try to respect people regardles of title, experience, b/c they have potential to learn- I even respect u, but I guess some just don't like the truth.

Sig of the week.

G

Well, since it's out in the open, I'd like to have my say as well.

I came here looking for advice on what to get for an LCD and on every single thread I saw flame post that there wasn't any question that the TFT7020 was the way to go. I asked very specific questions since he had one, and seemed interested in talking about it, and so I took his opinions to heart.

Now granted, a public forum is not the be-all and end-all for making a decision for purchasing something that costs close to $1000, but it is a good place to get people's real life opinions. For someone to first say one thing enthusiastically and then not only recant what he said but to go in the exact opposite direction, means that he is speaking EMOTIONALLY instead of factually.

I, for one, do not want someone's emotional perspective helping others to make large purchasing decisions such as has happened to me. Now granted, I am perfectly happy with my TFT7020, but a HUGE reason I got it is Flame's postings here. I would recommend that others do NOT take Flame's opinion as anything other than one person's emotional perspective on a subject. Otherwise you will have been misinformed. I do not come to this site to be misinformed.

So I'm sorry if this makes people feel ackward in that Flame is a regular contributor, but realistically I don't want to have what happened to me, happen to anyone else. I think Flame would appreciate this as he has stated that he just wants to be honest and call it as he sees it, which is exactely what I am doing now.

Again, I will reiterate, that I am extremely happy with my TFT7020. I play many graphically intensive games and experience no ghosting whatsoever. There are, however, some people in this forum that have experienced ghosting in 2D situations but I have not. I am quite happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to others.

Obviously, there will be newer models that improve upon what we have today. But I consider the TFT7020 a good all round LCD and value for the money.

Ron

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The reason for my turnaround was the model I recieved a week ago, which seriously sucked, and since I believed that all models should/ would perform more or less the same, I reccomended the TFT7020. However, such a deviation is most unusual, and I don't reccomend it anymore, cause if someone gets something like the latest one I got, they're not gonna like it.

Sig of the week.

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
he he...flame...admit it....u've made everyone here go crazy about the TFT7020...
Guess if it weren't for u....that model would have gone by unnoticed...lol....
so. what's the new one you've got your eyes on??

G

LMAO.....geeze. Only in this forum....

G

Oh come on now Flame, you don't really need to leave. Personally, I have appreciated the enthusiasm with which you state your opinions. While you may not always qualify your opinions as such, anyone who takes an individuals statements as "set in stone" fact needs a reality check. It is up to the reader to take posts with a grain of salt. Otherwise, we would all need to add IMHO to every sentence, that would be just silly.

I can sympathise with Flame's frustration in his quest for a nice monitor. I myself have been discouraged again and again by CRTs that I have purchased and subsequently returned because of varying quality issues. Some CRTs that I purchased were top of the line and was still not happy with their performance. Problems with the CRTs ranged from mild/severe misconvergence, poor focus, geometry flaws, and other various issues. A few monitors I tried included the NEC FE950+, LG 915FT+, Samsung 955DF and 950p, CornerStone p1460, and KDS AV195TF. NONE of these monitors came close the a decent LCD in terms of convergence, focus, and geometry from corner to corner. That is why I decided to abandon CRTs and try some LCDs.

On a side note, the p1460 was IMHO the nicest overall of the bunch, I almost wish I had of kept that one, almost.

LCDs have their own flaws but for me they are less annoying than CRTs flaws. As long as ghosting is very minimal as on my own LCD and viewing angles are decent, I personally would use a nice LCD over any CRT any day of the week.

YMMV, IMHO, take it with a grain of salt, etc...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by eviscerate on 03/06/02 08:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Poster: flamethrower205
"...the 2nd was the wrong one..."
"The 2nd actually seemed to have a better rt, and there was evidently less ghosting, and I actually got teh pic to look great."

I'm just curious as to what monitor this second "wrong" one was? Why didn't you keep that one? Would you reccomend it?

G

"I myself have been discouraged again and again by CRTs that I have purchased and subsequently returned because of varying quality issues."

eviscerate
I think you hit the nail on the head... in a sort of way??
The thing is with CRT's is you can buy them local and take them back if you dont like them but with LCD's you have to RMA ect and that whole thing scares the heck out of people if they have to do it 2 or 3 times. Thats why I think so many people are mad about him saying how great it was and then doing a 180 and saying it sucked. Should he leave.... heck no! Should he think about how many people will take his post as fact... yes.

Just my 2cents.

G

My post above is based on the fact that the LCD’s in the stores around my town sell the older models… not the latest and greatest.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I will try to explain myself again, and please, I implore you to READ THIS THOROUGHLY before flaming me again. The first TFT7020 I recieved had a pixel processor/ backlight issue, so I asked for replacement. The TFT7020 w/ speakers was on backorder, so I was given one w/o speakers as temporary replacement. That was a great LCD! Ghosting in games was none, lighting and contrast were perfect, and viewing angle wasn't even that bad! I wanted to keep it, but my dad wanted one w/ speakers, so a few weeks later I got one w/ speakers as final replacement. I assumed it would perform the same as the speakerless one. Boy was I wrong. It had more ghosting, and there was some wierd brightness coming out of it. Then I found out response time was 40ms, and decided to return it, cause first I had a bad LCD, and also Compaq lied to me (I sent em emails asking confirmation that total response time was 25ms, and they said yes). So I am in teh process of returning it now. This is why I'm not reccomending it- the speaker model isn't that good. Now, if you have read this thoroughly, go ahead and flame accordingly, say what u believe, but I feel I've just gone through too much shitt w/ Compaq to ever want to hear/ deal w/ them again.

Sig of the week.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 03/06/02 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Still is amusing seeing someone not only put their pom-pom's away, but reversing their opinion on a product/company, regardless of the circumstances. And the fact remains that two monitors, even from the same company, even the same damn model (or screen in this case), will not necessarily perform the same. That's why monitors are the toughest damn thing to buy. Personally, I stuck with CRT's because the weaknesses of the LCD's outweighed the weaknesses of CRT's to me, but everyone is different. Also, I use a CRT at work and it's just too hard to go from one type to another on a dialy basis. And everyone is drooling over FFD, but what's the scoop on the flat CRT technology I've heard about?

G

Flame,

I'm sorry if my tone was kinda tough. I understand completely your situation, and I'm sure it was frustrating as hell to have to go though. You have all the reasons to be pissed and not recommend them based on your experience.

The fact that Compaq "lied" about their response times does not cause LCDs to start ghosting all of a sudden, which is what you were infering (at least that's how I read it). At first you seemed to be saying that you were really upset because they lied to you. Then you kind of changed it to the third monitor your received had "more ghosting", and you attribute that to the 40ms response time. It's confusing the hell out of people including me.

If you like, I'm sure we're all perfectly happy dropping the whole subject. However, if you are going to maintain that the TFT7020 has ghosting issues, I would request that you please explain the specific problem that you experienced. Additionally, would you please explain the "strange lighting" problems that you experienced so that others can decide if it's an issue for them? If you explain this more factually, I'm sure everyone will feel more comfortable with your recomendations and opinions.

Personally, I have not experienced any ghosting issues or lighting strangeness whatsoever with the TFT7020. The only thing that I've noticed is that the image quality is not quite as cleanly cut as a CRT which I expected from an LCD, but totally acceptable. Additionally, I have found that their claim of 170 degree viewing angle is somewhat a stretch, but the functional viewing angle is WAY more than acceptable for anything other than an acadamic discussion.

In any case, you might want to just simply say that you had a bad experience with Compaq. Others that have bought it seem to be pretty happy with the TFT7020.

Ron

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
QUOTE:
The 1st was mad bright, and there was some ghosting w/ mouse. The 2nd actually seemed to have a better rt, and there was evidently less ghosting, and I actually got teh pic to look great. Then the third which I recieved about a week ago has a beatiful line of brightness on the side, slower rt apparently b/c more ghosting, and I can't put my finger on it, but the pic is always too bright or too dark. "

I have nothing against you personally, but I remember very very clearly that you "always" mention there is absolutely no ghost with your compaq while you bash MVA lcd!! from the beginning right till you decide to send your latest one back and do a 180!! what happen to absolutely no ghost? what happen to even at 300fps! absolutely no image/ghost problem?

I don't believe you right from the start, but shouldn't you be more honest?? oh, I just love your "put aside $2000 for the next "cpu" upgrade"!!

you are cool!