Best Photo papers for printers

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 19, 2005 11:18:57 PM

Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid,
with different inkjet printers?

Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.

After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson
serrated roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.

Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?

What papers would be OK on the R800?

Richard
--

More about : photo papers printers

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:18:58 PM

Hi Richard,
I assume you're in the UK if you use Jessops.
Don't know about Epson printers as I am a Canon man myself.
I use Fotojet Professional. from www.choicestationery.co.uk; (don't
use the Fotojet website shop, it's much too expensive!!)
Personally I prefer the heavyweight Satin, but they also do a glossy
if that's what you want.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:47:04 AM

Try FujiFilm Multijet Glossy, I've been using it on an Epson R200 with a
continuous ink system, and I find it great especially at the great price
from 7dayshop.com.
It is just as good on my HP1220c.
The only complaint I have with it is you can't print on the back, it won't
take any form of printing unlike Epson and HP papers.

David

"Richard Taylor" <Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid, with
> different inkjet printers?
>
> Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
> with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
> some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>
> After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson serrated
> roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>
> Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>
> What papers would be OK on the R800?
>
> Richard
May 20, 2005 3:52:42 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:18:57 +0100, Richard Taylor
<Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid,
>with different inkjet printers?
>
>Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
>with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
>some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>
>After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson
>serrated roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>
>Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>
>What papers would be OK on the R800?

Just about anything. If you want a good selection online at good
prices try:

http://www.on-linepaper.co.uk/

They have some papers at MX2 as well (you might like to try the
Somerset papers):

http://www.mx2.co.uk/

As for names well, Hahnemuhle, Somerset, Permajet, Olmec, Ilford,
Epson... I could go on but I'd have to make it a pdf. ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

> I use Fotojet Professional. from www.choicestationery.co.uk; (don't
> use the Fotojet website shop, it's much too expensive!!)
> Personally I prefer the heavyweight Satin, but they also do a glossy

I second this. Fotojet (made by Folex) gives great results and is now my
paper of choice.
I also use Choicestationary for my supply. They also sell 6x4 boxes of 100.
Although not stated on their site this is Folex Fotojet pro glossy - at
least that's what I receive when I order it.

--
Patrick
Anonymous

Hecate wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:18:57 +0100, Richard Taylor
> <Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid,
>>with different inkjet printers?
>>
>>Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
>>with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
>>some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>>
>>After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson
>>serrated roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>>
>>Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>>
>>What papers would be OK on the R800?
>>

> Just about anything. If you want a good selection online at good
> prices try:
>
> http://www.on-linepaper.co.uk/
>
> They have some papers at MX2 as well (you might like to try the
> Somerset papers):
>
> http://www.mx2.co.uk/
>
> As for names well, Hahnemuhle, Somerset, Permajet, Olmec, Ilford,
> Epson... I could go on but I'd have to make it a pdf. ;-)
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

Thanks all!

Choice have a save the VAT offer this week, so I'll get some of their
paper as well as cartridges. At least I'll have saved some money.

I'll also try the Fuji.

I've a feeling the epson printers need the resin coating.

For those not aware, epson STILL use a roller with metal serrated wheels
to precision place the paper. These wheels can dig into the paper
surface and the ink then fails to fill the holes leaving "tram lines".

Regards,
Richard
May 21, 2005 3:44:29 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:46:21 +0100, Dickie mint
<richard_taylorspam01@trapyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks all!
>
>Choice have a save the VAT offer this week, so I'll get some of their
>paper as well as cartridges. At least I'll have saved some money.
>
>I'll also try the Fuji.
>
>I've a feeling the epson printers need the resin coating.
>
>For those not aware, epson STILL use a roller with metal serrated wheels
>to precision place the paper. These wheels can dig into the paper
>surface and the ink then fails to fill the holes leaving "tram lines".
>
>Regards,
>Richard

Yes. Look up "Pizza wheels" on Google for various methods to solve the
problem. The easy way is a little gadget [produced by Permajet
(www.permajet.com).

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Dickie mint wrote:

> I've a feeling the epson printers need the resin coating.
>
> For those not aware, epson STILL use a roller with metal serrated wheels
> to precision place the paper. These wheels can dig into the paper
> surface and the ink then fails to fill the holes leaving "tram lines".
>
> Regards,
> Richard

There is a row of serrated metal wheels that holds the paper down a few
centimeters after it exits where the print heads run across. I think
the tram lines happen after printing - not before. I have read
somewhere that selecting RPM mode, but deselecting bi-directional
printing slows the print down, allowing additional time between the
print hitting the paper, and the fresh ink hitting the rollers.
Ambient temperature, humidity, and absorbtion rate of the paper etc will
influence the severity of this. It doesn't seem to be a problem with
epson papers.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:09:08 PM

I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as an
example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change their
supplier at any time, and change the formulation.

You may be able to get an educated list of suggestions of 3rd party
papers that work well with your printer by directing the question to one
of the several Epson specific Yahoo groups, simply because they will
have more members using your printer.

Art

Richard Taylor wrote:

> Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid,
> with different inkjet printers?
>
> Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
> with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
> some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>
> After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson
> serrated roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>
> Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>
> What papers would be OK on the R800?
>
> Richard
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:11:08 PM

In Canada, Fuji markets (or at least did a few months back) two separate
papers, one is designated for HP printers, the other for Epson, Canon
and I believe, Lexmark.

Art

tenchman wrote:

> Try FujiFilm Multijet Glossy, I've been using it on an Epson R200 with a
> continuous ink system, and I find it great especially at the great price
> from 7dayshop.com.
> It is just as good on my HP1220c.
> The only complaint I have with it is you can't print on the back, it won't
> take any form of printing unlike Epson and HP papers.
>
> David
>

> "Richard Taylor" <Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid, with
>>different inkjet printers?
>>
>>Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very pleased
>>with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday snaps and put
>>some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>>
>>After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson serrated
>>roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>>
>>Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>>
>>What papers would be OK on the R800?
>>
>>Richard
>>--

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:14:30 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.

This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.

> You may be able to get an educated list of suggestions of 3rd party
> papers that work well with your printer by directing the question to
> one of the several Epson specific Yahoo groups, simply because they
> will have more members using your printer.
>
> Art
>
> Richard Taylor wrote:
>
>> Is there a website listing the papers to use, and the ones to avoid,
>> with different inkjet printers?
>>
>> Been using Jessops Photo Glossy with my Epson R800 and am very
>> pleased with results. Ran out when printing off loads of holiday
>> snaps and put some Kodak paper in. Got it on a buy one get one deal.
>>
>> After just a few prints started to suffer from the classic Epson
>> serrated roller tram tracks. Bought some more Jessops and all OK.
>>
>> Now the Jessops paper is resin coated, which may help?
>>
>> What papers would be OK on the R800?
>>
>> Richard

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:01:07 PM

Hecate wrote:

> Yes. Look up "Pizza wheels" on Google for various methods to solve the
> problem. The easy way is a little gadget [produced by Permajet
> (www.permajet.com).

Hmm £25 for a bit of metal plate, I think I'd rather spend the money on
paper that does work OK!

Thanks for that info though!

Regards,

Richard
May 22, 2005 11:04:53 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as an
> example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change their
> supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>
> You may be able to get an educated list of suggestions of 3rd party
> papers that work well with your printer by directing the question to one
> of the several Epson specific Yahoo groups, simply because they will
> have more members using your printer.
>
> Art

Ta!

I did some research on Google, and remember the roller problem from a
few years back. Disappointing that Epson have done nothing to cure it.

I will now email Jessops to check on how they specify their paper and
look for specific Epson groups.

Regards,
Richard
May 22, 2005 11:06:57 PM

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>

> This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.

Thanks for the info.

Bearing that in mind I only buy Epson Ink for the R800.

The older 880 seems OK on ink from Choice Stationery!

Regards,
Richard
May 22, 2005 11:06:58 PM

Richard Taylor wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>>

>> This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.
>>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Bearing that in mind I only buy Epson Ink for the R800.

I have seen a professional print from the R800 done on Epson Premium
Glossy Paper. It look nice. Still, most people claim that dye base
prints are more vibrant and provide more snap. For portraits that might
no make a big difference.

Have you tried Cost/Kirkland paper with OEM R800 or other non Epson
papers? If so how do the results compare. It would get very expensive
to use Epson pigmented inks and then have to use Epson papers to get the
best results. And spending what the R800/1800 costs you would want to
get the very best you can or why buy it.

Also the Epson Premium Glossy seems heavier than non Epson Glossy.
Could this be because of the extra weight of pigmented inks and the
gloss optimizer?

> The older 880 seems OK on ink from Choice Stationery!
>
> Regards,
> Richard
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 12:25:43 AM

measekite wrote:

> I have seen a professional print from the R800 done on Epson Premium
> Glossy Paper. It look nice. Still, most people claim that dye base
> prints are more vibrant and provide more snap. For portraits that might
> no make a big difference.
>
> Have you tried Cost/Kirkland paper with OEM R800 or other non Epson
> papers? If so how do the results compare. It would get very expensive
> to use Epson pigmented inks and then have to use Epson papers to get the
> best results. And spending what the R800/1800 costs you would want to
> get the very best you can or why buy it.
>
> Also the Epson Premium Glossy seems heavier than non Epson Glossy.
> Could this be because of the extra weight of pigmented inks and the
> gloss optimizer?

(Here in the UK) Jessops paper was rated No.1 in a magazine review last
year. As Discount retailers they often have Buy one, get one free
offers, which they did late last year. I bought 1 box of 50, getting
another free. Thought 100 sheets was enough for ages. Until now! with
300 photos to print from a jaunt around the world. Otherwise I'd be
blissfully unaware of any problem. Hence the post!

I don't want to go to the expense of running trials myself, and I'm not
in the proper set up to comment expertly.

I was hoping to gleam the collective experience of newsgroup folk.

The thread replies here have been useful though, thanks to all.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:31:47 AM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:01:07 +0100, Richard Taylor
<Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hecate wrote:
>>

>> Yes. Look up "Pizza wheels" on Google for various methods to solve the
>> problem. The easy way is a little gadget [produced by Permajet
>> (www.permajet.com).
>

>Hmm £25 for a bit of metal plate, I think I'd rather spend the money on
>paper that does work OK!
>
>Thanks for that info though!

You miss the point - it's not the paper it's the printer.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:25:43 +0100, Richard Taylor
<Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>measekite wrote:
>

>> I have seen a professional print from the R800 done on Epson Premium
>> Glossy Paper. It look nice. Still, most people claim that dye base
>> prints are more vibrant and provide more snap. For portraits that might
>> no make a big difference.
>>
>> Have you tried Cost/Kirkland paper with OEM R800 or other non Epson
>> papers? If so how do the results compare. It would get very expensive
>> to use Epson pigmented inks and then have to use Epson papers to get the
>> best results. And spending what the R800/1800 costs you would want to
>> get the very best you can or why buy it.
>>
>> Also the Epson Premium Glossy seems heavier than non Epson Glossy.
>> Could this be because of the extra weight of pigmented inks and the
>> gloss optimizer?
>

>(Here in the UK) Jessops paper was rated No.1 in a magazine review last
>year.

Too thin. Not particularly good coating. YMMV.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Look up the pizza wheel issue on MIS ink web site. Last year I read of a
correction for one of the Epson printers that cost just a few cents. Small
stainless washers that raised the Pizza wheel assembly slightly.

> Hecate wrote:
>>

>> Yes. Look up "Pizza wheels" on Google for various methods to solve the
>> problem. The easy way is a little gadget [produced by Permajet
>> (www.permajet.com).
>

> Hmm £25 for a bit of metal plate, I think I'd rather spend the money on
> paper that does work OK!
>
> Thanks for that info though!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
May 23, 2005 5:27:15 AM

Burt wrote:

>Look up the pizza wheel issue on MIS ink web site. Last year I read of a
>correction for one of the Epson printers that cost just a few cents. Small
>stainless washers that raised the Pizza wheel assembly slightly.

I heard it mentioned ( do not know if it was accurate ) that the cure
for the pizza wheel problem is Epson ink on Epson paper. That is a
costly cure. Not so much the ink but not being able to select other
papers. Epson papers are quite good.

>"Richard Taylor" <Richard_Taylor01@spamtrapyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Hecate wrote:
>>

>>>Yes. Look up "Pizza wheels" on Google for various methods to solve the
>>>problem. The easy way is a little gadget [produced by Permajet
>>>(www.permajet.com).
>>>

>>Hmm £25 for a bit of metal plate, I think I'd rather spend the money on
>>paper that does work OK!
>>
>>Thanks for that info though!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard
>>--

May 23, 2005 2:16:49 PM

measekite wrote:

> Also the Epson Premium Glossy seems heavier than non Epson Glossy.
> Could this be because of the extra weight of pigmented inks and the
> gloss optimizer?

I would think not! The total weight of the ink and optimiser on a sheet
would be best measured in milligrams per m2 after the ink has dried.
May 23, 2005 2:47:21 PM

Richard Taylor wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>>
>> You may be able to get an educated list of suggestions of 3rd party
>> papers that work well with your printer by directing the question to
>> one of the several Epson specific Yahoo groups, simply because they
>> will have more members using your printer.
>>
>> Art
>

> Ta!
>
> I did some research on Google, and remember the roller problem from a
> few years back. Disappointing that Epson have done nothing to cure it.
>
> I will now email Jessops to check on how they specify their paper and
> look for specific Epson groups.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

If you want to save a few bucks on paper (but remember that even with
OEM Epsom Paper at normal retail price, the paper cost is less than half
of the ink cost), then Lyson Pro Colour Photo Gloss seems okay on an
R1800. I have had no problems with it.

It isn't necessarily disappointing that Epson haven't "done anything to
cure it".
Read you manual, and please direct me to anything that Epson, or any
other consumer inkjet manufacturers say that fully endorse use of their
printers with third party papers. You have just found out that the
reason for this isn't all cynical profiteering.
Epson's ink technology is quite different from most others - for very
specific reasons. I have no doubt that they are aware of the "problem",
and their "decision" "not to cure it" is based on sound technical reasoning.

If you want to persist in using unsuitable papers, then have you tried
the suggestion to disable bi-directional printing to slow the speed down?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:47:22 PM

Frederick wrote:

> Richard Taylor wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.

Just like a 3rd party ink vendor. Same philosophy.

>>> You may be able to get an educated list of suggestions of 3rd party
>>> papers that work well with your printer by directing the question to
>>> one of the several Epson specific Yahoo groups, simply because they
>>> will have more members using your printer.
>>>
>>> Art
>>

>> Ta!
>>
>> I did some research on Google, and remember the roller problem from a
>> few years back. Disappointing that Epson have done nothing to cure it.
>>
>> I will now email Jessops to check on how they specify their paper and
>> look for specific Epson groups.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard
>

> If you want to save a few bucks on paper (but remember that even with
> OEM Epsom Paper at normal retail price, the paper cost is less than
> half of the ink cost), then Lyson Pro Colour Photo Gloss seems okay on
> an R1800. I have had no problems with it.
>
> It isn't necessarily disappointing that Epson haven't "done anything
> to cure it".
> Read you manual, and please direct me to anything that Epson, or any
> other consumer inkjet manufacturers say that fully endorse use of
> their printers with third party papers. You have just found out that
> the reason for this isn't all cynical profiteering.
> Epson's ink technology is quite different from most others - for very
> specific reasons. I have no doubt that they are aware of the
> "problem", and their "decision" "not to cure it" is based on sound
> technical reasoning.
>
> If you want to persist in using unsuitable papers, then have you tried
> the suggestion to disable bi-directional printing to slow the speed down?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 6:53:18 PM

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>

> This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.

I think we've been through this at least half a dozen times. You know
the expression "flogging a dead horse..."

I just recently was informed by someone who spoke to Formula in
California about who they supply ink to. Apparently, they are the major
supplier for dye colorant ink to the 3rd party filled cartridge
manufacturers, most of which come from Asia (China).

So, chances are, if your buy a "made in China" cartridge, it is more
likely to have their ink in it, than not.

Art
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:30:36 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know of a specific list, and the problem is that Jessops, as
>>> an example doesn't make the paper they sell, so they might change
>>> their supplier at any time, and change the formulation.
>>

>> This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.
>>

> I think we've been through this at least half a dozen times. You know
> the expression "flogging a dead horse..."
>
> I just recently was informed by someone who spoke to Formula in
> California about who they supply ink to. Apparently, they are the
> major supplier for dye colorant ink to the 3rd party filled cartridge
> manufacturers, most of which come from Asia (China).
>
> So, chances are, if your buy a "made in China" cartridge, it is more
> likely to have their ink in it, than not.
>
> Art

I spoke to a well known ink vendor's purhasing agent (I will not
disclose who they are) who told me in confidence who their Chinese
supplier is and it is not Sensinent. They went to an engineering house
in Denver who formulated a product that they have produced and filled in
China. They are going to consider Sensinent here.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:41:14 PM

I didn't state that every Chinese cartridge manufacturer is using
Sensient's Formulab inks, but many, in fact, possible most, are. I
understand the "rainbow" cartridges coming out of China use their inks
and having used them myself, I can say that the color rendition and
basic qualities are quite similar to Epson OEM dye inks.

In my case, the savings were very substantial, in fact, the filled
cartridges cost less than buying fluid inks from most local vendors.

Art

From Sensient's website:

Desktop Printing

Sensient's Formulabs division supplies a limitless range of inks
specially formulated for use in desktop inkjet printing applications.
Designed for use in business, home and educational settings, our aqueous
pigmented inks and dyes can be modified to fit custom ink delivery
systems and other special requirements.

Our fully-equipped laboratories allow for timely, quality ink
development; consistent, high-quality ink performance is assured through
our rigorous product development procedures and standards criteria.

Formulabs Services Customer Benefits

Exact color matching - Predictable print performance

Reduced foam formulas - Trouble-free cartridge filling

Tested cartridge compatibility
and long shelf life - Quality performance over time

Evaluation of international
media - Proven performance on commonly
available materials

Dedicated desktop technical
support team - Expedient, effective troubleshooting

Experienced selection,
sourcing and balancing of
raw materials - Sharp text, minimal color bleed, and

drying time

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>

>> measekite wrote:

>>> This is true of all 3rd party ink vendors also.
>>>

>> I think we've been through this at least half a dozen times. You know
>> the expression "flogging a dead horse..."
>>
>> I just recently was informed by someone who spoke to Formula in
>> California about who they supply ink to. Apparently, they are the
>> major supplier for dye colorant ink to the 3rd party filled cartridge
>> manufacturers, most of which come from Asia (China).
>>
>> So, chances are, if your buy a "made in China" cartridge, it is more
>> likely to have their ink in it, than not.
>>
>> Art
>

> I spoke to a well known ink vendor's purhasing agent (I will not
> disclose who they are) who told me in confidence who their Chinese
> supplier is and it is not Sensinent. They went to an engineering house
> in Denver who formulated a product that they have produced and filled in
> China. They are going to consider Sensinent here.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:05:09 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I didn't state that every Chinese cartridge manufacturer is using
> Sensient's Formulab inks, but many, in fact, possible most, are. I
> understand the "rainbow" cartridges coming out of China use their inks
> and having used them myself, I can say that the color rendition and
> basic qualities are quite similar to Epson OEM dye inks.

I believe PC World says otherwise. If that were truethen why are there
so many low grade inks out their screwing up printers?

> In my case, the savings were very substantial, in fact, the filled
> cartridges cost less than buying fluid inks from most local vendors.

And who's filled carts do you buy?

> Art
>
> From Sensient's website:
>
> Desktop Printing
>
> Sensient's Formulabs division supplies a limitless range of inks
> specially formulated for use in desktop inkjet printing applications.
> Designed for use in business, home and educational settings, our
> aqueous pigmented inks and dyes can be modified to fit custom ink
> delivery systems and other special requirements.
>
> Our fully-equipped laboratories allow for timely, quality ink
> development; consistent, high-quality ink performance is assured
> through our rigorous product development procedures and standards
> criteria.
>
> Formulabs Services Customer Benefits
>
> Exact color matching - Predictable print performance
>
> Reduced foam formulas - Trouble-free cartridge filling
>
> Tested cartridge compatibility
> and long shelf life - Quality performance over time
>
> Evaluation of international
> media - Proven performance on commonly
> available materials
>
> Dedicated desktop technical
> support team - Expedient, effective troubleshooting
>
> Experienced selection,
> sourcing and balancing of
> raw materials - Sharp text, minimal color bleed, and
> drying time
>
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Arthur Entlich wrote:

>>> I think we've been through this at least half a dozen times. You
>>> know the expression "flogging a dead horse..."
>>>
>>> I just recently was informed by someone who spoke to Formula in
>>> California about who they supply ink to. Apparently, they are the
>>> major supplier for dye colorant ink to the 3rd party filled
>>> cartridge manufacturers, most of which come from Asia (China).
>>>
>>> So, chances are, if your buy a "made in China" cartridge, it is more
>>> likely to have their ink in it, than not.
>>>
>>> Art
>>

>> I spoke to a well known ink vendor's purhasing agent (I will not
>> disclose who they are) who told me in confidence who their Chinese
>> supplier is and it is not Sensinent. They went to an engineering
>> house in Denver who formulated a product that they have produced and
>> filled in China. They are going to consider Sensinent here.

May 24, 2005 9:54:51 PM

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I didn't state that every Chinese cartridge manufacturer is using
>> Sensient's Formulab inks, but many, in fact, possible most, are. I
>> understand the "rainbow" cartridges coming out of China use their inks
>> and having used them myself, I can say that the color rendition and basic
>> qualities are quite similar to Epson OEM dye inks.
>
> I believe PC World says otherwise. If that were truethen why are there so
> many low grade inks out their screwing up printers?

Implication is that 1) most inks are low grade and 2) these inks all screw
up printers. No proof or sources stated. No experience behind your
statement. Only your bias and attempt to disuade new potential third party
ink users. The way you have worded this statement/question is akin to the
question, "so, when did you stop beating your wife." Only source I've seen
you present is an old PC mag article, Consumer's article, and an older
Wilhelm research project, none of which did tests on the inks mentioned by
experienced users on this and other forums. I trust that Consumers is
unbiased, but I can tell you of several purchases I've made based on their
recommendations that proved to be poor choices.

>> In my case, the savings were very substantial, in fact, the filled
>> cartridges cost less than buying fluid inks from most local vendors.
>

> And who's filled carts do you buy?
>

>> Art
>>
>> From Sensient's website:
>>
>> Desktop Printing
>>
>> Sensient's Formulabs division supplies a limitless range of inks
>> specially formulated for use in desktop inkjet printing applications.
>> Designed for use in business, home and educational settings, our aqueous
>> pigmented inks and dyes can be modified to fit custom ink delivery
>> systems and other special requirements.
>>
>> Our fully-equipped laboratories allow for timely, quality ink
>> development; consistent, high-quality ink performance is assured through
>> our rigorous product development procedures and standards criteria.
>>
>> Formulabs Services Customer Benefits
>>
>> Exact color matching - Predictable print performance
>>
>> Reduced foam formulas - Trouble-free cartridge filling
>>
>> Tested cartridge compatibility
>> and long shelf life - Quality performance over time
>>
>> Evaluation of international
>> media - Proven performance on commonly
>> available materials
>>
>> Dedicated desktop technical
>> support team - Expedient, effective troubleshooting
>>
>> Experienced selection,
>> sourcing and balancing of
>> raw materials - Sharp text, minimal color bleed, and
>> drying time
>>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I spoke to a well known ink vendor's purhasing agent (I will not
>>> disclose who they are) who told me in confidence who their Chinese
>>> supplier is and it is not Sensinent. They went to an engineering house
>>> in Denver who formulated a product that they have produced and filled in
>>> China. They are going to consider Sensinent here.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:17:16 PM

Burt wrote:

>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>

>>>I didn't state that every Chinese cartridge manufacturer is using
>>>Sensient's Formulab inks, but many, in fact, possible most, are. I
>>>understand the "rainbow" cartridges coming out of China use their inks
>>>and having used them myself, I can say that the color rendition and basic
>>>qualities are quite similar to Epson OEM dye inks.
>>>

>>I believe PC World says otherwise. If that were truethen why are there so
>>many low grade inks out their screwing up printers?
>>

>Implication is that 1) most inks are low grade and 2) these inks all screw
>up printers. No proof or sources stated. No experience behind your
>statement. Only your bias and attempt to disuade new potential third party
>ink users.

ATTN: NG READERS THESE ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE AFTERMARKET CLUB

>The way you have worded this statement/question is akin to the
>question, "so, when did you stop beating your wife." Only source I've seen
>you present is an old PC mag article, Consumer's article, and an older
>Wilhelm research project, none of which did tests on the inks mentioned by
>experienced users on this and other forums. I trust that Consumers is
>unbiased, but I can tell you of several purchases I've made based on their
>recommendations that proved to be poor choices.
>

>>>In my case, the savings were very substantial, in fact, the filled
>>>cartridges cost less than buying fluid inks from most local vendors.
>>>

>>And who's filled carts do you buy?
>>

>>>Art
>>>
>>>From Sensient's website:
>>>
>>>Desktop Printing
>>>
>>>Sensient's Formulabs division supplies a limitless range of inks
>>>specially formulated for use in desktop inkjet printing applications.
>>>Designed for use in business, home and educational settings, our aqueous
>>>pigmented inks and dyes can be modified to fit custom ink delivery
>>>systems and other special requirements.
>>>
>>>Our fully-equipped laboratories allow for timely, quality ink
>>>development; consistent, high-quality ink performance is assured through
>>>our rigorous product development procedures and standards criteria.
>>>
>>>Formulabs Services Customer Benefits
>>>
>>>Exact color matching - Predictable print performance
>>>
>>>Reduced foam formulas - Trouble-free cartridge filling
>>>
>>>Tested cartridge compatibility
>>>and long shelf life - Quality performance over time
>>>
>>>Evaluation of international
>>>media - Proven performance on commonly
>>> available materials
>>>
>>>Dedicated desktop technical
>>>support team - Expedient, effective troubleshooting
>>>
>>>Experienced selection,
>>>sourcing and balancing of
>>>raw materials - Sharp text, minimal color bleed, and
>>> drying time

May 25, 2005 6:54:34 AM

> Burt wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>I believe PC World says otherwise. If that were truethen why are there
>>>so many low grade inks out their screwing up printers?
>>>

>>Implication is that 1) most inks are low grade and 2) these inks all screw
>>up printers. No proof or sources stated. No experience behind your
>>statement. Only your bias and attempt to disuade new potential third
>>party ink users.
>
> ATTN: NG READERS THESE ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE AFTERMARKET CLUB

And you are the sole member of the misinformation, libel, and foul language
club. Anyone who wants to join the Aftermarket club is certainly welcome.
The good news is that, not only are there no dues or initiation fees, you
actually save a ton of money in this club.

>>The way you have worded this statement/question is akin to the question,
>>"so, when did you stop beating your wife." Only source I've seen you
>>present is an old PC mag article, Consumer's article, and an older Wilhelm
>>research project, none of which did tests on the inks mentioned by
>>experienced users on this and other forums. I trust that Consumers is
>>unbiased, but I can tell you of several purchases I've made based on their
>>recommendations that proved to be poor choices.

>>>And who's filled carts do you buy?

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 10:06:48 AM

Burt wrote:

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Implication is that 1) most inks are low grade and 2) these inks all screw
>>>up printers. No proof or sources stated. No experience behind your
>>>statement. Only your bias and attempt to disuade new potential third
>>>party ink users.
>>>

>>ATTN: NG READERS THESE ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE AFTERMARKET CLUB
>>

>And you are the sole member of the misinformation, libel, and foul language
>club. Anyone who wants to join the Aftermarket club is certainly welcome.
>The good news is that, not only are there no dues or initiation fees, you
>actually save a ton of money in this club.

foonzah

>>>The way you have worded this statement/question is akin to the question,
>>>"so, when did you stop beating your wife." Only source I've seen you
>>>present is an old PC mag article, Consumer's article, and an older Wilhelm
>>>research project, none of which did tests on the inks mentioned by
>>>experienced users on this and other forums. I trust that Consumers is
>>>unbiased, but I can tell you of several purchases I've made based on their
>>>recommendations that proved to be poor choices.

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:18:51 PM

First of all, I am not convinced "so many" 3rd party inks are "screwing
up printers". As you have been told by at least a dozen people, both
OEM and 3rd party inks clog printers. It's the nature of the technology.

I have bought several "brands" of ink cartridges, but I use a lot of the
Rainbow boxed one for dye inks. They look about an generic as they
come, and I don't even think they have an address on them. They do
mention having been made in China.

Rumor is they use Formulab inks. I have found them reliable, less
likely to cause clogs than the OEM inks, and showing good color
equivalence. I can't attest to fade resistance, as I have not done long
enough samples, and they would be very unscientific.

Art

!