Sign in with
Your question

Building my first system soon and wanna do it right.

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2006 11:23:02 PM

Hi this is the first time i'm building my own system and have a few questions before i buy anything.
Here r the parts:
CPU AMD 64 x2 4200 (socket AM2)
MOBO ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
GPU eVGA 256-P2-N567 Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked
RAM Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Case NZXT Apollo, w/power supply

Those are the main components, now to the questions.
1) Will the stock power supply w/my case be enough? or should i buy one
2) I've heard that some RAM doesnt work w/my mobo, do you think the ram i have listed will work?
3) Should i be worried about cooling for my graphics card?
4) Are their any other things i should be looking into? [/u]

More about : building system wanna

July 23, 2006 11:50:57 PM

The only thing you should worry about is the PSU, the GPU should be fine if you aren't overclocking.
July 24, 2006 12:59:52 AM

i would definatly replace the power supply as the stock are never any good. also i would get an x1800xt as it is generlly faster an slightly cheaper
Related resources
July 24, 2006 11:13:18 AM

I dont understand, my friends were all telling me to go w/AMD after i had initially started out w/an intel processor. whats so great about Conroe?
July 24, 2006 11:28:32 AM

Conroe is the brand new and soon to be released Intel CPU architecture.
Performance is MUCH better than previous Intel options.
I cannot find any Conroe CPUs for sale today, but should be available by next week.
The impact of Conroe on the market can best be shown as follows:

AMD drops desktop processor prices by 47% Tom's 07/23/06
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/23/amd_slashes_desktop_processor_prices/

If you can wait a couple of weeks for the market to better sort itself out, I believe you will win no matter which brand you buy.
July 24, 2006 4:32:11 PM

Conroe's are already available for pre-order (i've only seen the X6800 and the E6600 though). But don't preorder them.... wait until they hit retail shelves. The prices are expected to drop on them once this happens....
July 24, 2006 7:51:12 PM

but is there any outstanding advantage to core duo 2? i mean does it have some brand new technology or is it just a faster, newer dual core processor? And will it be more expensive? My budget is really past the breaking point and the fact that the AMD processor im looking at just shed half of its price tag is really a g-d send.
July 24, 2006 7:59:28 PM

Check the benchmarks.... the E6600 (at stock) provides you with FX-62 level performance at 1/2 the price. Tom's has done some benchmarks... Anandtech has also benched it.... and about 10 other reputable sites as well.... I believe Tom's links to some of these....
!