Sign in with
Your question

nzxt Apollo (orange) Psu enough?

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2006 12:02:09 AM

Lemme preface this post w/this statement: I am building my first system and im pretty solid on everything except for power supplies (i have no clue) , im using

AMD 64 x2 4200 (AM2)
eVGA 256-P2-N567 Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB 7200 16MB SATA150
SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE

the power supply that comes w/the case is 400w but is it any good? Should i buy the case w/o the PSU and buy one?

More about : nzxt apollo orange psu

July 24, 2006 1:17:28 AM

Quote:
the power supply that comes w/the case is 400w but is it any good? Should i buy the case w/o the PSU and buy one?

What is the case? Can you please post a link to it?

Generally, power supplies that come with cases aren't very good, so I'd buy a case w/o the PSU and buy a seperate PSU made by a good brand (Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Enermax, Cooler Master, FSP Group, etc.)
July 24, 2006 1:22:12 AM

Im Getting this one: NZXT Apollo

I would really love to use the stock PSU but i also want a good system, so im willing to put down the money if i need to (50-60$ would be optimal). Do you have any direct suggestions? I am very in the dark over here. Thanx so much btw!
Related resources
July 24, 2006 1:32:12 AM

Hmm...

I've been engaged in alot of debate about PSU's recently, personally I'm generally for the 'better to have more than you need than learn the hard way' camp.

I just replaced my 430w NeoHE Antec for the 550w version just to be safe with my X1900XT.

All logic would say that a 400w PSU is enough to power your system. In terms of watts, even at 70 percent efficiency you should be fine.

However more likely to be an issue is the power draw on the +12v rail that graphics card is going to place on your PSU.

I personally wouldn't trust a generic 400w PSU to supply enough power on this rail for a modern overclocked graphics card amongst the rest of your system.

Maybe not go for something especially expensive - I reckon a 450w Antec or higher (TruePower series, for instance) would do you quite nicely. Alternatively, if you aren't as concerned about noise (Antec's are pretty quiet), you can pick up a high-powered unit from Thermaltake for less money.
July 24, 2006 3:12:43 AM

Quote:
Ok how about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item...

What does dual rail mean?

Yuck; a crap no-name brand PSU. Don't get it. Look for a PSU made by Antec, OCZ, Cooler Master, or another well-known brand.

Also, I'd look at other cases; I've never heard of NZXT, and I don't know how good quality they are. $90 is a LOT of money for a case made by a company with a questionable reputation for quality. Lian-Li are generally considered the best cases you can buy, but they're expensive. I'd take a look at Antec.
July 24, 2006 3:22:35 AM

Quote:
Ok how about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item...

What does dual rail mean?

Yuck; a crap no-name brand PSU. Don't get it. Look for a PSU made by Antec, OCZ, Cooler Master, or another well-known brand.

Also, I'd look at other cases; I've never heard of NZXT, and I don't know how good quality they are. $90 is a LOT of money for a case made by a company with a questionable reputation for quality. Lian-Li are generally considered the best cases you can buy, but they're expensive. I'd take a look at Antec.

NZXT is good.

i have the Lexa. Apollo is also a good case.
July 24, 2006 3:59:45 AM

Allright, im gonna go w/that one then. Thanx for all your help.
August 1, 2006 12:57:29 AM

Hello Themonitor!
I know this thread's a bit old but i just want you to feel comfortable about your decision to purchase the NZXT Apollo. We pride ourself in building quality products and if there are any problems we are 100% behind our customers. :)  I think you'll find that the Apollo is a good mixture of cooling ( two 12cm included ) and styling ( i'm guessing you like it :)  ). If you have any problems or concerns with your purchase, send me an email at designer@nzxt.com and i'll take care of it right away. Thanks, and i hope you like the case.
August 1, 2006 2:52:08 AM

Hey thanks a lot, the case looks awesome and i cant wait 2 pop my new hardware into it.
!