need help!! dropped a thumbscrew in my comp

cronic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
basicly i had the panel off my comp an i dropped a thumbscrew on the soundcard(stupid thing to do i know) and now my gfx card, sound card, an mobo are all fried. i am wiery of testing any of the componts and i wanted to know if the ram and power supply could have broken too(along with anything else). i do want spend as little money as possible replacing the broken parts and i do not want to brake any new parts i ge

Mondoman

Splendid
Assuming that what fried stuff was the thumbscrew shorting out conductors, I would replace the PS for peace-of-mind. Even if it seems OK, there might be subtle damage, and a new PS is relatively cheap.
Normally, I would expect the RAM to be OK, but you say the graphics board and MB got fried *in addition to* the sound card. I'd keep the RAM, but run memtest86 on it in your new system before fully trusting it.

basicly i had the panel off my comp an i dropped a thumbscrew on the soundcard(stupid thing to do i know) and now my gfx card, sound card, an mobo are all fried. i am wiery of testing any of the componts and i wanted to know if the ram and power supply could have broken too(along with anything else). i do want spend as little money as possible replacing the broken parts and i do not want to brake any new parts i ge

Usually when I do that I smell the processor burn up.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't understand, you actually had the case open and were fooling around with things with it turned on?

I would replace the components that you know are bad first then try it, replace something else try it again.... keep going until the damn thing works. See if you can do this by borrowing parts from another computer instead of buying them.

Mondoman

Splendid
...had the case open and were fooling around with things with it turned on?
Hey, it can happen. :lol:

I would replace the components that you know are bad first then try it, replace something else try it again.... keep going until the damn thing works. See if you can do this by borrowing parts from another computer instead of buying them.
I agree with the exception of the power supply. Since we already know bad things (likely shorts) happened on 2 plugin boards & the MB, I'm worried that the PS has been damaged. Even if it seems to work, regulation or behavior under extreme conditions could be a problem, so I'd just replace it right off the bat.

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Man you are one wet finger from a bad hair-do 8O ! Why would you have the power on and your hands in your case at the same time? If your hands get wet from your soda, beer, water, and you put your hands in your case and ZZZAAAAP!!!

You got of lucky this time, you only need to replace a few parts in your PC.