Display Name in AD

I went into the properties of a user account in Active Directory users and
Computers and changed the users's first name from Janette to Jan and the
display name from Smith, Janette to Smith, Jan but the display name still
shows as Smith, Janette. WHy is this and how do i resolve it. Her name
appears correctly in the Exchange Contact ist though.
2 answers Last reply
More about display

    George,

    What your seeing is most likely the "Full Name" attribute in the GUI I
    think. Depending on how and where you try to change the full name and
    display name you actually get different dialog boxes.

    1, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "properties".

    2, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "rename", change the name
    and click somewhere else with the mouse and you get the rename use box
    (which has the full name, unlike the properties dialog).

    3, Use find to get the user, highlight the user in the GUI and select rename
    and the same dialog from 2 above automatically opens.

    I'm not sure why MS chose to leave this important attribute out of the
    properties dialog. The Full Name attribute is what uniquely identifies the
    user in the directory (there are others that are tied to this and change
    automatically when you change one of them) and most people like to keep them
    the same as the display name to keep the directory clean and organized.

    Sean

    "George Schneider" <georgedschneider@news.postalias> wrote in message
    >I went into the properties of a user account in Active Directory users and
    > Computers and changed the users's first name from Janette to Jan and the
    > display name from Smith, Janette to Smith, Jan but the display name still
    > shows as Smith, Janette. WHy is this and how do i resolve it. Her name
    > appears correctly in the Exchange Contact ist though.

    Hi George,

    Did you try Sean's suggestion? Please help me know the status of the issue
    at your earliest convenence. If you have any questions or concerns, please
    feel free to let us know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Sean M. Loftus" <sean(remove me)@loftus.org>
    | Subject: Re: Display Name in AD
    | Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:47:43 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    |
    | George,
    |
    | What your seeing is most likely the "Full Name" attribute in the GUI I
    | think. Depending on how and where you try to change the full name and
    | display name you actually get different dialog boxes.
    |
    | 1, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "properties".
    |
    | 2, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "rename", change the
    name
    | and click somewhere else with the mouse and you get the rename use box
    | (which has the full name, unlike the properties dialog).
    |
    | 3, Use find to get the user, highlight the user in the GUI and select
    rename
    | and the same dialog from 2 above automatically opens.
    |
    | I'm not sure why MS chose to leave this important attribute out of the
    | properties dialog. The Full Name attribute is what uniquely identifies
    the
    | user in the directory (there are others that are tied to this and change
    | automatically when you change one of them) and most people like to keep
    them
    | the same as the display name to keep the directory clean and organized.
    |
    | Sean
    |

    | "George Schneider" <georgedschneider@news.postalias> wrote in message
    | >I went into the properties of a user account in Active Directory users
    and
    | > Computers and changed the users's first name from Janette to Jan and the
    | > display name from Smith, Janette to Smith, Jan but the display name
    still
    | > shows as Smith, Janette. WHy is this and how do i resolve it. Her name
    | > appears correctly in the Exchange Contact ist though.

Active Directory Microsoft Windows Displays