AD with tiny sites

I am trying to get a handle on setting up very small sites (one to four
workstations, and maybe a printer or two) in an 2003 Active Directory
domain. Some are only occupied a few days a week or even a month.
These sites do not justify their own domain controller. Some sites
have DSL others only dial-up. DSL sites are connected Via VPN

I am wondering, are there resources available on the Internet that have
tips for AD client configuration for tiny remote sites ? Essentially,
I want to use AD for its centralized support and admin capabilities,
locally cached file services etc. Some of the information aimed at the
"road warrior" or the at home worker could also apply.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or their own tips, I
would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

--
Matt Hickman
'Velocity' is the first derivative, the differential of

Hemo, Jr!

While this is for a WIN2000 AD environment you might want to take a look at
the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/branchoffice/default.mspx

This link below, however, is for WIN2003 AD:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9353A4F6-A8A8-40BB-9FA7-3A95C9540112&displaylang=en

I included both for your 'reading pleasure'!

There are some in here who will put a Domain Controller in a Site if there
are five or more users. Most others will use 10 as their magic number.

I think alot of how you set it up is better determined by how things will be
done in the offices. What you are describing to me sounds like a really
good situation for Terminal Services. Shoot, the users in the 'tiny'
offices could simply have an older machine with WIN2000 loaded and the RDP
client ( or maybe ICA Client if you are going to make use of Citrix ). Or,
they could even have a thin client. Let's go with the 'older WIN2000
system' here, though. All of the systems could be joined to a workgroup (
maybe named after the city or the street location of whatever ) and they log
on local ( no domain user account here ), fire up the RDP Client and create
a TS Session. This could also be good for those 'road warriors' with
laptops....

But, that could create a situation for you where you need several Terminal
Servers ( you do not really tell us how many locations....you could have
three or four users in 500 locations!!!! or simply 10 locations!!!! ).

Also, we would need to know the connection speed of the DSL! Dialup would
be a disaster!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012