Sign in with
Your question

I cant uninstall a program on window 7 windows installer

Last response: in Windows 7
May 7, 2011 5:39:35 PM

Hello, I'm having problems with my Windows Installer. I have been to the forum here and have tried the various options discussed. When I look at "services" I found the Windows Installer on "manual" and "stopped." I clicked the "Start button and received this error message: "WINDOWS COULD NOT START THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER. ERROR 2: THE SYSTEM COULD NOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED."

I'm afraid to mess around with this anymore without some knowledgeable assistance.

Thanks, Sharon
May 7, 2011 6:29:45 PM

FYI, so as not to waste anyone's time, I have also done the

"Run then MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER and REGSERVER" suggestion, but no change.

I ran an administrative sfc/scannow command and it DID report finding and fixing errors (nothing specific listed). I re-booted, then tried to install (and also uninstall) and same error messages appear.

I tried to update windows with the "14 important updates" which downloaded fine, but will not, of course, install due to the same problem, or so I assume.

I also restored the system to a point a month earlier than today, but that did not seem to help. Maybe I didn't go back far enough?
m
l
May 24, 2011 5:14:37 PM

Win7 definitely has increased the complexity factor for errors like this.

Personally, I think "system restore" is a virus. You have no idea what Microsoft will restore, and it is a complex relationship between files and the registry.

Restore half of the combination, and you have a mess on your hands.

I use the Win7 Backup "image" to capture a consistent state, so that I can restore everything on a previously working system.

Even "working system" is subject to interpretation ... some things worked, other things were broken (but you weren't accessing them at the time of the backup).

I have lost weekends and months in recovering Windows machines.

The half-life of the knowledge gained in such activities has the "shelf life of a banana" -- Scott McNealy
m
l
Related resources
!