Sign in with
Your question

IS Core Duo 2 a 64bit processor? use 32 bit 64 bit xp pro.?

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2006 1:38:02 AM

If yes, what is the main advange of using a 32 bit xp pro. than 64bit xp pro?
July 24, 2006 1:52:33 AM

Quote:
If yes, what is the main advange of using a 32 bit xp pro. than 64bit xp pro?
No benifit Only able to address up to 8 gigabytes of RAM And special programs able to use the 64-bit processing. None avalible yet. Not worth it at this ponit of time because nobody created 64-bit progreas or filters to xconvert
Related resources
July 24, 2006 2:58:09 AM

I have a 32 bit Win XP Intel system and a 64 bit Win XP AMD. I've had several driver and application problems with 64 bit. It's pretty stable, but some nagging issues mean it's not quite ready for prime time, although it's getting better. BTW, these aren't MS problems. but rather 3rd parties being slow to adopt 64 bit.

If I only had one computer, I'd wait a while for 64 bit Windows to mature.
July 24, 2006 3:28:10 AM

Vista 32 and Vista 64 won't help much in the future lol
probably 65 percent of people are running non 64 bit CPU's so you know the 32 bit drivers will get more support maybe, (I hope i'm wrong) i want a 64 bit OS, so i can add 4-8 Gig of memory.
July 24, 2006 4:19:50 AM

Quote:
Vista 32 and Vista 64 won't help much in the future lol
probably 65 percent of people are running non 64 bit CPU's so you know the 32 bit drivers will get more support maybe, (I hope i'm wrong) i want a 64 bit OS, so i can add 4-8 Gig of memory.

well, the conflict between people upgrading their current OS to vista 64bit, and really any midrange computers purchased inside of the last 3+ years that only have a 32bit OS (but do have 64bit capable cpus)... is that with computers purchased that recently, they more than likely wont be upgrading their OS, and will stick with 32bit, because an OS upgrade is similar to a hardware upgrade, and most consumers just dont/wont do that... ...the easiest way for them to get a 64bit OS, is by completely replacing their computer after vista replaces xp (and so theyll automatically receive the 64bit and 32bit support anyhow)... ...and this part im not sure about, but i *think* the commercial release of vista comes as both 32bit/64bit capable in the same installation (much like 16bit and 32bit are supported in many windows versions, but 16bit support was dropped in the release of xp pro x64)... ...but, if theyre forced to make a choice between 32bit or 64bit when upgrading their whole computer... then, yeah... that more or less tosses my post out the window, lol... ...but making people choose also introduces more unnecessary complications, that could only serve to hinder the adoptance/acceptance of 64bit IMO

and... more speculation anyhow, but, if vista is released supporting both 32bit/64bit in the same installation... i suppose that all that would be needed to provide additional 64bit driver/software support, is through windows updates/service packs... and, where theres not 64bit driver support, i would think that the existing 32bit drivers would still offer basic support nonetheless... but, thats just speculation on my part.
!