"AMD Earnings Q2 2006 Conference Call"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Seekingalpha has transcripted AMD's conference call. You can read the whole story here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/14001

Once again, OldBlue from XtremeSystems had something to say about it:

AMD Conference Call Specifics

Here is the transcript of the call. It's lengthy, so here are some relevant excerpts:

65 nanometer

From Dirk Meyer's opening statement:

...we are on plan to ramp 65-nanometer production in the second half of this year. We expect to do so at mature yields.
And later when asked for more detail about the 65nm rollout, Bob Rivet replied:

We will start ramping the factory in the second-half of this year, and ship into the market our first parts by the end of the year.
Nothing really new here. 65nm seems to be on schedule.

Quad-Core

The first mention of quad-core is in Dirk Meyer's opening statement:

Leveraging the scalability of the direct-connect architecture, we also plan to demonstrate our next generation microprocessor core in a native quad-core implementation before the end of the year.
One of the analysts, Mark Lipacis from Prudential, picked up on this, and later asked:

Dirk, I thought in the beginning in your comments, you talked something about a native quad-core, and I missed that. Would you be so kind as to review what you were talking about? Is that a change of the production schedule for quad-core?
Meyer's reply:

High level is not really a change. It is really an amplification to what we said at the analyst conference in June. We have a new core under development. The first instantiation of which will be in a quad-core form, to be launched roughly mid '07. What I said is we will demonstrate that by the end of the year.
The native quad-core that was discussed at the June analyst conference is K8L. So it sounds like K8L is still on schedule, with the quad-core to arrive first.

There was no mention of any rev. G quad-core. But maybe....

Secret Q3 and Q4 plans?

If you want something fun to speculate about, consider the following eyebrow-raising exchange, starting with a question by Krishna Shankar from JMP Securities:

My follow-up question is, everybody read the reviews on the competitor's new product line. Do you folks have any comment on what you have seen in terms of the trade reviews and what your upcoming AMD two socket will do in terms of the advancement in performance and power?
Henri Richard's reply:

Of course we are looking at all of those reviews. As you know, the main feature that the AM2 socket is bringing to the market is the support of DDR2 memory. We have never presented it as a performance improvement.

We are going to continue to provide faster products to our partners. I am not going to disclose at this point in time our Q3 and Q4 plans. We are looking at what the competition is doing and they seem to be innovating at the core. We are going to continue to innovate, both at the core and at the platform level.

Read the whole thing here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1593144&postcount=1