Asterisk IVR has very poor voice quality

For comparison purposes, I set up two very similar IVR systems. One is
a traditional IVR based on a Dialogic voice board while the other is a
software-only IVR based on Asterisk.

The quality of the voice in the Asterisk IVR is awful.

If I add some hardware, will the quality improve??

-Ramon
4 answers Last reply
More about asterisk poor voice quality

    "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in news:1126059491.007757.66840
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > For comparison purposes, I set up two very similar IVR systems. One is
    > a traditional IVR based on a Dialogic voice board while the other is a
    > software-only IVR based on Asterisk.
    >
    > The quality of the voice in the Asterisk IVR is awful.
    >
    > If I add some hardware, will the quality improve??

    You can add a zaptel compatible card or use ztdummy. This should improve
    your quality.

    --
    Andreas

    "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> writes:

    >If I add some hardware, will the quality improve??

    Why even add hardware? Is there a problem with using the Dialogic
    hardware under Asterisk?

    --kyler

    Kyler wrote:

    > Why even add hardware? Is there a problem with using the Dialogic
    > hardware under Asterisk?

    There is indeed a problem using Dialogic hardware under Asterisk.
    For obvious reasons, the hardware support is extremely biased toward
    Digium boards. The Dialogic support is somewhere between "lacking" and
    "none".

    -RFH
  4. Hello,

    Concerning measuring Asteriks voice quality for various connections, we have developed a software that is
    successfully used by some of our customers who have Asteriks installed and
    perform voice quality monitoring quite easily on their own hardware in
    this manner:

    1. Originate a call on the monitoring server, using Asterisk manager
    interface, to a server which is running an echo application
    2. Monitor both inbound and outbound legs of the call, and save as wav
    files.
    3. Use AQuA (our product) to compare the wav files.

    We would be happy to hear from those who are interested in such solution and will
    be looking forward to your feedback. Thank you!

    Kind regards,
    Sevana Oy
    http://www.sevana.fi

vpn Networking