um... no disk attached?!

Genji

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
i've researched this like eight times with no real solution. so here goes.

i purchased a new - mobo
cpu
psu
graphics card
harddrive and ram

i set my old cd-rom drive as primary master. the new harddrive as secondary master. set bios to boot from cd-rom drive. got a WinXp setup disk.

when i powered on my newly built computer. i heard the POST beep. all 512Mb of ram checked out. my cd-rom and new harddrive were recognized. everything works.... but then the message of DEATH comes up " NO DISK ATTACHED "

i have no idea how to solve this. i've read it might be a conflict between the IDE harddrive i'm using and the preset bios of the mobo (Machspeed pt88as) to use a SATA harddrive instead.

I've tried two different processors and two different types of ram

i've also tried to boot from a live boot disk (Knoppix). no luck there.

Is there anyone that knows how to resolve this?! I mean... does this stuff only happen to me?

Mondoman

Splendid
Try setting your hard disk as primary master and the optical drive as secondary master. More details on *exactly* what is happening after the BIOS boot would be nice.

Genji

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
no setup at all. when it should boot into windows (i tried using my old harddrive as well) or start the Xp setup it flashes a black for a second then displays the no disk attached message. no matter what i do

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
One common reason for the problem you are experiencing is caused by the boot order settings in the BIOS.

Most new motherboards have both IDE and SATA interfaces. Very often the BIOS' default is set to boot from the SATA device. Going into the BIOS and changing the boot device priority setting to boot from the IDE interface corrects the problem.

Hopefully that will be the solution to the problem.

Genji

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
yeah. i bought the original parts a year ago on July 31st.

Ultra / Socket / 478 / Intel Pentium 4 up to 3.06GHz / Ball Bearing / CPU Cooling Fan (ULT31424)

Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Blue / Modular Power Supply (ULT31558)

Chaintech XGI Volari V3 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card (C460-8006)

Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-133 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive (THD-160MM8)

Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88AS Via Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with an Intel Celeron D 340 2.93GHz & 512MB DDR Memory (MCM-PT88AS-340)

i swapped the cpu and the ram thinking that matter be the problem. currently using a: 2.8C GHz Intel P4 800MHz 512KB L2 478pin HT-Tech and
Kingston ValueRAM 128MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR266X64C25/128 - Retail

okay. so the message says -

Via Technologies Inc. Via VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility v4.50
Copyright (C) Via Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved.

Scan Devices, Please wait...
No Disk Attached

then the screen goes black and nothing happens

i've researched this like eight times with no real solution. so here goes.

i purchased a new - mobo
cpu
psu
graphics card
harddrive and ram

i set my old cd-rom drive as primary master. the new harddrive as secondary master. set bios to boot from cd-rom drive. got a WinXp setup disk.

when i powered on my newly built computer. i heard the POST beep. all 512Mb of ram checked out. my cd-rom and new harddrive were recognized. everything works.... but then the message of DEATH comes up " NO DISK ATTACHED "

i have no idea how to solve this. i've read it might be a conflict between the IDE harddrive i'm using and the preset bios of the mobo (Machspeed pt88as) to use a SATA harddrive instead.

I've tried two different processors and two different types of ram

i've also tried to boot from a live boot disk (Knoppix). no luck there.

Is there anyone that knows how to resolve this?! I mean... does this stuff only happen to me?

Genji. Ask this guy.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-31259-Motherboard-of-DOOM--and-godzilla.html

Mondoman

Splendid
440bx is right. Look at the message:
"...Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility v4.50 "
Your computer is trying to boot from the Serial ATA; since you have no SATA drive(s) attached, it fails and gives you the message. Set it to boot from IDE or PATA or whatever your BIOS calls it.

Your computer is trying to boot from the Serial ATA; since you have no SATA drive(s) attached, it fails and gives you the message. Set it to boot from IDE or PATA or whatever your BIOS calls it.

Yes. Genji, this is the answer to get it up and running!

Why'd you wait a year to tell him?

Mondoman

Splendid

Hey, 440bx was the one who took so long! :lol: :p :twisted:

Genji

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
um.... i'm not sure if i've made progress.

I've disabled the Via Sata fuction. Set all scsi devices to boot first. the harddrive (the new one) is Primary Master. Optical drive is secondary master. place the Xp setup disk in.

....and now nothing happens... just a black screen.. wtf?!

Hey, 440bx was the one who took so long! :lol: :p :twisted:

It'll be great for him to finally get it going. Then He'll want to know why windows is so slow. Tell him for me. A 128 DIMM of Kingston PC2100 Value RAM will not run windows XP. Tanks Mondoman.

If you have another IDE cable (the wide one) try putting your IDE hard drive on the first cable (without the CD as a slave). Then take a second IDE cable and put it on IDE 2 on the MB and attach your CD ROM seperately from the hard drive.

Mondoman

Splendid
If you have another IDE cable (the wide one) try putting your IDE hard drive on the first cable (without the CD as a slave). Then take a second IDE cable and put it on IDE 2 on the MB and attach your CD ROM seperately from the hard drive.
My interpretation of his setup (primary master & secondary master) is that that's the way he has it setup. If not, Genji, definitely set it up as badge described.

Sounds like He's tried everything He knows. Having the CD on number one and HD on number two makes no difference. Maybe it's time for a clearing of the CMOS. And I know this is stupid, but he's getting a video signal (error message), some boards require the delete or f1 f2 key to display bios. Recent boards I've worked with just go to BIOS screen without being prompted on first boot up. I wish I could tell him what to do. Hhe's gotta be frustrated after a year. I would have already broken it for good.

Genji

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
yeah. i have two ide cable setup like that. i guess i'll try the video signal thing. i plugged in my speakers to listen for anything. but right now the screen is still black.

but yeah. you guys have been a great help. i would've tried to solve this a year ago but between school and work and frustration i just forgot.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
yeah. i bought the original parts a year ago on July 31st.

Ultra / Socket / 478 / Intel Pentium 4 up to 3.06GHz / Ball Bearing / CPU Cooling Fan (ULT31424)

Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Blue / Modular Power Supply (ULT31558)

Chaintech XGI Volari V3 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card (C460-8006)

Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-133 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive (THD-160MM8)

Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88AS Via Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with an Intel Celeron D 340 2.93GHz & 512MB DDR Memory (MCM-PT88AS-340)

i swapped the cpu and the ram thinking that matter be the problem. currently using a: 2.8C GHz Intel P4 800MHz 512KB L2 478pin HT-Tech and
Kingston ValueRAM 128MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR266X64C25/128 - Retail

okay. so the message says -

Via Technologies Inc. Via VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility v4.50
Copyright (C) Via Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved.

Scan Devices, Please wait...
No Disk Attached

then the screen goes black and nothing happens

judging by the last section of your post, it looks as if its attempting to boot from a raid array, but its not detecting one, because there isnt one set up (and you cant have raid with one drive anyhow)... so nothing happens... ...i suppose it would then primarily have to do with the bios configuration then (as other people have suggested), but i dont think its primarily the order of the devices that would matter either... ...i think though, that if you disable the Via VT8237 Serial ATA RAID in your bios setup, that it *should* allow your hdd to be detected then

hopefully...

it could also possibly be (however unusual) that maybe the raid controller is enabled by default (even with the drive showing up in the post), so even after clearing the cmos... the raid controller might still be active