AMD to Make Significant Corporate Announcement (ATI DOOM)

killa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Now this is the part where AMD fanboys starting dancing for joy saying that ATI is now the ultimate company.

At the end of the day I doubt we will see much of a change in either sector.

Its probably more of a future investment for AMD then anything else, and it may give ATI a bit more cash to up production.

Panther_V

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I have a bad feeling that AMD may destroy ATI high end GPU sector and we see Nvidia win the war and became the sole provider in that sector.
If you believe that, then you're stupid.

yes calling me an stupid just makes you stupid :( the irony

Before calling other people stupid , explain yourself!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060723/20060723005033.html?.v=1

ARRR :( ITS FREAKEN HAPPENING :( I can't take this anymore.

I have a bad feeling that AMD may destroy ATI high end GPU sector and we see Nvidia win the war and became the sole provider in that sector.

on the other hand picture gpus and cpus being produced with the same tech (eg 65nm) - higher clock speeds, cheaper gpus (or bigger faster and evenly priced) - more like a good combo if you ask me?

pauldh

Illustrious
It's not like AMD has show any desire to cater to the enthusiast elite, so it makes sense they will drop the high end cards and not care about the crown. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Hey, the Inq's been calling it a merger, so it's got to be true. Way to go Fudo!

AMD buys/merges with Ati: makes sense, as:
- both complete each other very well: AMD has CPUs (x86-64 and ARM-types if I'm not mistaken) and Ati has chipsets and graphics - plus it makes its own boards
- Ati has a big share of the enthusiast market, and valid products in the integrated/server graphics markets
Now, why Ati and not Nvidia?

Nvidia sells chips too, and very complete solutions, except it doesn't make boards out of test/reference samples.

By acquiring Ati, AMD reaches a level of integration eqivalent to Intel's that it would only have approached by buying Nvidia out - And with Nvidia buying out Sis, that left only Ati (Via already has a complete offering, inlcuding the C3 x86 CPU).

On a pure platform perspective, the move is sound; but I guess all Linux users feel like I do: that we'll soon be forced to buy Intel chips to power our Nvidia OpenGL graphics cards...

Except if this leads to Ati developing/giving specs for a better OpenGL driver for their most recent cards. Then I can't wait :D

Not that it comes as much of a surprise, or that anyone cares, but I hate this deal. :x

I think better for their future ATi shoulda hooked up with Intel, not because I care about their CPUs, etc., but because they have complimentary areas of focus, and somewhat similar views of the media/video side of the equation, heck Intel made LCOS TV chips.

This IMO benifits AMD more than ATi, it's just what AMD needed (enterance into market they have nothing in [graphics of course, pocket PC, smartphone, MoBos, media chips, etc.]).

And this kinda kills the ATi Conroe solutions future doesn't it, but I guess the licensing agreement jumble will need to be fixed before we know what's what.

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't like the deal either. I'm not sure AMD would have been dead in 5 years like the Inq says, but it definatelty seems like it favors AMD and it's intel battle, doing little (in my eyes) for ATI.

And this kinda kills the ATi Conroe solutions future doesn't it

Yeah, and I already had thoughts of crossfire ready or even 3 pci-e 16x size slots for my future DX10 conroe/R600 build. (I'm assuming R600 will outperform G80; if not I jump ship). You've just got to have a geek dream and Conroe+R600+crossfire mobo was staring in mine. :roll:

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Now, why Ati and not Nvidia?
Too much green. Green/green is boring. Buying ATI makes for a pretty green/red combo perfect for the upcoming holiday season. Maybe big Blue will make a move on NV. 8O :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Blue? IBM? :roll: :lol:

Besides, green + green = Super green! The greenest thing on Earth! :lol:
Eco-Hardware! :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that, I just had to let it go... I'm laughing SO hard right now... :lol: :lol:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060723/20060723005033.html?.v=1

ARRR :( ITS FREAKEN HAPPENING :( I can't take this anymore.

What a load of knee jerk reactionary crap...win the war, that's funny...sole provider, even funnier!
...you're stupid.
He's right, you are stoopid!

You've just got to have a geek dream and Conroe+R600+crossfire mobo was staring in mine. :roll:

No but you already knew that mine did involve Merom and an MRX1650-1800GTO with HD-DVD, so I'm a littler worried about that future, because IMO TurionX2 is nowhere near the chip that Merom is.

Oh yeah BTW, this should've happened last year when Red+Green equals best Xmas present possible. Now IMO Red+Green equals something brown that stinks.