Where to Point DNS on Backup DC/DNS Server

Hi,

I just set up a second AD/DC for redundancy on our network (thanks to those
who replied earlier to help me get this done).

This new server is called DC2 (192.168.1.2). I have made it an AD server
with Global Catalog.

I have also installed DNS and enabled zone transfers so my new DNS server
can talk to the old one.

My question is -- how should I configure the DNS settings on each domain
controller now that I have two DNS on my network?

Previously on DC1 (192.168.1.1) I had pointed _its_ primary DNS to
192.168.1.1 and the secondary DNS to 192.168.1.1 because that's all I had
available. (Please note that I am talking about the DNS settings on the
servers themselves, not on client machines.)

Now that I have created DC2, should I point the primary DNS to 192.168.1.1
and the secondary to 192.168.1.2? Should I do this for both servers? It
makes sense to do this for all the clients, but I'm not sure if it's what
I'm supposed to do for both servers.

Thanks

you are right.
primary DNS: local ip address
secondary DNS: the other DC

of course there are arguments to do this different ... but this will work
just fine.

Also a good ideea will be to make your dns zone AD Integrated.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net