Conroe vs. Woodcrest

andrnils

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Hello,

I'm soon going to buy a new computer, and since Intel now claims the performance title i figure i'll go with Intel. But should i go with a conroe or a woodcrest?

I'd like to see some benchmarks of the woodcrest 5120 vs. Core Duo E6300 and E6600 (equal frequence and about equal price). Perhaps you could do the regular gameing benchmarks, and perhaps throw in how they do at scientific computing (perhaps matlab och maple or some such...) as i sometimes will throw that task at them.

It would also be nice if you could test the overclocking potential of the above mentioned processors.

Best regards
andrnils

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well first off since you're doing gaming you'll probably want to get a Conroe since Woodcrest is designed for servers and thus probably won't give you the same performance when it comes to gaming.

Secondly, as far as overclocking goes you'll probably get a slightly higher clock out of the Conroe, but not too much higher than the Woodcrest. As far as benchmarks go I can't find any that have the procs you're looking for. The only Woodcrest I've seen reviewed is the 5160 which pretty much anihilates a pair of Opty 285's.

ewart

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
here, here. Where are toms on this? I see a LOT of requests for this across different forums, serveral on this one alone.

Has anyone at all seen a review showing the performance difference between the new Intel Xeon 51XX ranges and the Core 2 Duo? I'd like to read an objective review rather than opinion as comparison for a range of business apps and perhaps some games.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well I've seen benchmarks for both but I haven't seen any benchmarks that have included the SAME benchmarking tools. For woodcrest I read the article "birth of a new king" and that was against some optys. And then of course they have the benchmarks for the conroes everywhere now. The only problem is that they didn't use stuff like PCMark05 or 06 for the woodcrests.