computer overheating on startup?

have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp pro and when I power up my
computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
start up next time.. I also have MacAfee Antivirus. This started about 3
weeks ago. I have removed all software and reinstalled win xp pro
and it is still in a cycle of restarting. The only thing I can think of is
the cpu is overheating?

Any thoughts

Tim

Tim, open the case and look at the blowers, are they all running ?
It probably needs a good blowing out of all the accumulated dust bunnies.

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"Gauthier" <sandigauthier@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:%236VZbX8qEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp pro and when I power up my
> computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
> sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
> start up next time.. I also have MacAfee Antivirus. This started about 3
> weeks ago. I have removed all software and reinstalled win xp pro
> and it is still in a cycle of restarting. The only thing I can think of is
> the cpu is overheating?
>
> Any thoughts
>
> Tim

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I'm just guessing, but if it eventually runs, it probably isn't overheating.
But just to make sure, you might do what was suggested and also check your
fans to make sure nothing is keeping them from running. Make sure you have
an area where the hot air doesn't hang around the computer.

Otherwise, have you done a memory check? There may be some driver that is
giving you fits. Try starting in safe mode to see if any difference. Also
check your Event viewer to see if any problems show up. Have you installed
any new software or hardware since just before the problem started?

There was a worm a couple of months ago that would make your computer reboot
and not allow access to the microsoft update site. I don't remember the
name but you might check the Symantec site. If you don't know you might try
the fix to see if it helps. There are settings in Windows about how it
handles problems during boot. Device manager-System
Properties-Advanced-Startup and Recovery.

Clark

"Gauthier" <sandigauthier@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> have a Pentium 4 computer running win xp pro and when I power up my
> computer it will go thru the power up and then start all over again (
> sometimes 10 times ). I am afraid to power my machine off in case it won't
> start up next time.. I also have MacAfee Antivirus. This started about 3
> weeks ago. I have removed all software and reinstalled win xp pro
> and it is still in a cycle of restarting. The only thing I can think of is
> the cpu is overheating?
>
> Any thoughts
>
> Tim

TRENDING THREADS