Sign in with
Your question

Its Official!! AMD now owns ATI : Deal is done

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2006 10:23:05 AM

Well all the rumours are true.

The INQ was dead right. this time.

This is huge.... Baron's nightmare is a reality...Intels nightmare is reality.[/list]

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33223

Quote:
AMD CONFIRMED its acquisition of ATI this morning, three days after the >

While we doubted the chip-maker could afford to buy out the Canadian graphics chip firm, it turns out CEO Hector Ruiz went cap in hand to his bankers and borrowed a cool $2.5 billion.

Ruiz crowed the deal would "reinvent our industry," as he appeared in New York with ATI CEO Dave Orton. At 4.30AM? No wonder Dave Orton looks a bit tired.

AMD agreed to acquire all of the outstanding common shares of ATI for a combination of $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock, based on the number of shares of ATI common stock outstanding on July 21, 2006.

The total comes to $5.4 billion.

AMD said the deal was 'unanimously approved' by the board of directors of each company, but it is still subject to ATI shareholder approval.

AMD said it had obtained a $2.5 billion term loan commitment from Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. to help it finance the deal which has captured the imagination of industry-watchers everywhere.

Crowed Hector: "Bringing these two great companies together will allow us to transcend what we have accomplished as individual businesses and reinvent our industry as the technology leader and partner of choice. We believe AMD and ATI will drive growth and innovation for the entire industry, enabling our partners to create differentiated solutions and empowering our customers to choose what is best for them."

Dave Orton, President and CEO of ATI claimed all of the companies' product lines would benefit. "Joining with AMD will enable us to innovate aggressively on the PC platform, and continue to invest significantly in our consumer business to stay in front of our markets," he reckoned

Orton will join AMD as an executive vice president of the ATI business division, reporting to the AMD office of the CEO, comprising Ruiz and president and chief operating officer Dirk Meyer.

But hundreds of other employees will lose their jobs as the new giant seeks to cut operating expenses by around $75 million by the end of 2007.

The combination of AMD's processor expertise with ATI's 'strengths' in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics, would result in a "new and more formidable company," the pair claim.

The combined company would have achieved approximately $7.3 billion in total consolidated sales during the last four quarters with a workforce of approximately 15,000 employees, according to the joint statement today.

ATI will pay AMD a termination fee of $162 million should the deal yet founder. The transaction is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2006. µ
July 24, 2006 10:43:55 AM

After all the benches with CONROE and CROSSFIRE.....

now... no crossfire for intel

thats rich
Related resources
July 24, 2006 10:57:11 AM

Quote:

thats rich

Hehe.
July 24, 2006 11:03:05 AM

Quote:

This is huge.... Baron's nightmare is a reality...Intels nightmare is reality.

Well, I don't if it's good for AMD or ATI or for both of the company. I guess AMD won't be able to take Intel to court for reasons of monopolizing the market.

So does that make Intel and Nvidia become a partner one day?
[/list]
July 24, 2006 11:04:26 AM

Nvidia has serious beef with INTEL

and vice versa

so i dont know what going on there

plus SLI sucks on INTEL ....
July 24, 2006 11:06:15 AM

Quote:

What gave you that absurd notion, SLI performs exactly the same on an AMD/Intel system, if the processors were identical in performance that is.
July 24, 2006 11:07:41 AM

Quote:

What gave you that absurd notion, SLI performs exactly the same on an AMD/Intel system, if the processors were identical in performance that is.MMM told him, silly. :wink:
July 24, 2006 11:16:08 AM

Quote:

What gave you that absurd notion, SLI performs exactly the same on an AMD/Intel system, if the processors were identical in performance that is.MMM told him, silly. :wink:

Or maybe 9inch?
July 24, 2006 11:21:01 AM

ya, thats real smart. alienate yourself from over 80% of your potential customers. Great idea!
July 24, 2006 11:23:13 AM

Quote:
ya, thats real smart. alienate yourself from over 80% of your potential customers. Great idea!

Maybe an idiot of the scale of Sharikou/9inch finally got their hands on AMD?
July 24, 2006 11:23:14 AM

Quote:
Poor ATI.....being bought out by a sinking ship. :?
July 24, 2006 11:27:11 AM

Quote:

While we doubted the chip-maker could afford to buy out the Canadian graphics chip firm, it turns out CEO Hector Ruiz went cap in hand to his bankers and borrowed a cool $2.5 billion.

Ruiz crowed the deal would "reinvent our industry," as he appeared in New York with ATI CEO Dave Orton. At 4.30AM? No wonder Dave Orton looks a bit tired.

AMD agreed to acquire all of the outstanding common shares of ATI for a combination of $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock, based on the number of shares of ATI common stock outstanding on July 21, 2006.

AMD said the deal was 'unanimously approved' by the board of directors of each company, but it is still subject to ATI shareholder approval.

AMD said it had obtained a $2.5 billion term loan commitment from Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. to help it finance the deal which has captured the imagination of industry-watchers everywhere.

Crowed Hector: "Bringing these two great companies together will allow us to transcend what we have accomplished as individual businesses and reinvent our industry as the technology leader and partner of choice. We believe AMD and ATI will drive growth and innovation for the entire industry, enabling our partners to create differentiated solutions and empowering our customers to choose what is best for them."

Dave Orton, President and CEO of ATI claimed all of the companies' product lines would benefit. "Joining with AMD will enable us to innovate aggressively on the PC platform, and continue to invest significantly in our consumer business to stay in front of our markets," he reckoned

Orton will join AMD as an executive vice president of the ATI business division, reporting to the AMD office of the CEO, comprising Ruiz and president and chief operating officer Dirk Meyer.

But hundreds of other employees will lose their jobs as the new giant seeks to cut operating expenses by around $75 million by the end of 2007.

The combination of AMD's processor expertise with ATI's 'strengths' in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics, would result in a "new and more formidable company," the pair claim.

The combined company would have achieved approximately $7.3 billion in total consolidated sales during the last four quarters with a workforce of approximately 15,000 employees, according to the joint statement today.

ATI will pay AMD a termination fee of $162 million should the deal yet founder. The transaction is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2006. µ
[/list]

My only nightmare is having to listen to idiots all day.
July 24, 2006 11:28:25 AM

Quote:

[/list]

My only nightmare is having to listen to idiots all day.Then, try not talking to yourself for a change.
July 24, 2006 11:30:34 AM

You should stop talking then.
July 24, 2006 11:59:16 AM

Quote:
My only nightmare is having to listen to idiots all day.

Too bad, with you ignorance you know everything and you listen to nothing. You have no idea what a nightmare is reading your BS.
July 24, 2006 12:17:19 PM

It really is interesting to listen to all of you b**** about each other :roll:

But what does this mean for AMD and ATI now that they're conjoined?
July 24, 2006 12:18:20 PM

Oh, that site is never right they all say here.
July 24, 2006 12:18:28 PM

"But hundreds of other employees will lose their jobs as the new giant seeks to cut operating expenses by around $75 million by the end of 2007."

That is unfortunate. I feel bad for the employee's at ATI, it would suck to get bought out and sacrificed.

I am curious what this will do for AMD's stock? They got KILLED on Friday to the tune of -16 percent. I am curious if this will cause a major rebound, or continued selloff?

I am also curious how this will affect Intel's stock.....

Today should be pretty interesting.
July 24, 2006 12:19:01 PM

Good for Intel and nVidia, bad for AMD/ATi

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
Too bad... Ive really liked ATi, since theyve always made the better GPUs, but now it seems that Ill have to boycott them (I was gonna do that anyway cause Im gonna jump on the Linux bandwagon)
July 24, 2006 12:22:30 PM

Quote:
Good for Intel and nVidia, bad for AMD/ATi

Why is it bad for AMD and ATi? Seems like they'll be able to make systems that are more compatable...
July 24, 2006 12:31:36 PM

ATi will definitely lose chipset orders by Intel (if there are chipset shortages again), they lose all the promotion they get by Intel showing Conroe systems paired with CF.
AMD will lose nVidia as their partner, they will at least lose Quad-SLi support maybe even normal SLi support (big loss of prestige), what has been nForce 4 SLI IE will now become nForce 500 AE (=> a crappy chipset).

I mean... AMD does need ATis help, but it wont get them far, it may eventually throw both companies back.
July 24, 2006 12:58:23 PM

Now, the road is clear for multi-type processors on the same machine on a socket style. You can have a X64 CPU and a GPU side by side, on a Hypertransport link! Speed and multiple solutions will soon arive :D 
July 24, 2006 12:59:08 PM

Quote:
Now, the road is clear for multi-type processors on the same machine on a socket style. You can have a X64 CPU and a GPU side by side, on a Hypertransport link! Speed and multiple solutions will soon arive :D 

Now THAT is wishfull thinking.
July 24, 2006 1:05:55 PM

So many changes this year. This will change pc's forever.
Wishfull thinking indeed! :D 
July 24, 2006 1:11:07 PM

I think this is good. Really good.
AMD will expand like it has never done before. :trophy:

Nvidia will continue to support AMD. Remember this is bussiness. If (the necessary amount of) money is in the way, there's no name or brand that can change that. Money is what matters.

About the future of ATI... Undoubtedly ATI cards will perform better with AMD (thinking about a whole platform here...). So long for the AMD/Nvidia performance partnership. :cry: 
(My PC will be a relic in a year or two... A very very RARE relic... :wink: )
July 24, 2006 1:24:29 PM

Quote:
It really is interesting to listen to all of you b**** about each other :roll:

But what does this mean for AMD and ATI now that they're conjoined?

It isfunny sometimes, but they have no life.

Anyway, it's hard to say what this actually means. I guess the next ste pis ot bringnVidia in and assure them that the relationship in no way changes the partnership they have.

It loks like ATi will be a division of AMD with it's own branding, so nVidia doesn't have to worry about an AMD chipset or GPU. Thsi does change the entire landscape of the industry though. If tsi goes through FTC and CB it iwlll eave intel really as an island in the industry.

I realize that nVidia would be giving up too much to all of a sudden slow support for AMD but I hoep AMD maintains the relationship. It will give AMD the ability to produce their own server chipsets under the ATi brand, while nVidia will still mantain their wksta/small server 2 way chipsets.

It woul also give them an in-house GPU chipset to get working on HTX or cHT. It seems more liek AMD just wanted a larger company as fast as possible. With ATi now outof the Core 2 chipset game, that will mean Intel needs to supply all of the chipsets from here on out. They will be in direct competition with nVidia though which won't be good because Dell needs Quad SLI for their high end desktops.

This is like a stab in the heart, not for nVidia but for Intel. nVidia will be fine. They still own the CC market and the enthusiast chipset market. ATi may start to focus more on high end server and mobile chipsets while nVidia is providing the desktop and wksta/small server market. That is actually the current market position of the two.

I just hope to hear Dirk or Hector reach out to nVidia thsi week.
July 24, 2006 1:30:52 PM

STFU & STOP MAKING US NIGHTMARES, YOU BORING JACKASS!
July 24, 2006 1:32:15 PM

You cant have too many 1-star-posts, eh?
July 24, 2006 1:43:26 PM

Oh no, baby. I want Conroe + Crossfire.
July 24, 2006 1:46:22 PM

Well, now you'll have to get Conroe + SLI. :tongue:
July 24, 2006 2:03:07 PM

Hmmm does that mean ATI will release the DirectX10 part and maybe one more additional GPU, and then flip all their stuff to an on-chip (on the AMD chip) type graphics core? LOL
July 24, 2006 2:04:44 PM

Wait, but I like Intel + ATi. Do I have to like SLI now? Do I have to hate ATi? I'm so confused!!!

:lol: 

All BS aside this is awesome. ATI will become a serious threat to nVidia now. AMD's benefit is a little more risky, as they've just put their entire CPU business on "4x4" and co-processors. Let's hope that pans out, for all our sakes.

AMD is again going to change the game and take the battle to new turf. When intel was pushing clock speeds, AMD went after Performance per Watt/Clock. Intel was forced to bring their battle there. Now AMD is trying to throw multiple processors on the same bus, and Intel's going to have to follow them there, too.

I just hope Intel puts this on their roadmap. I'd hate to see the same battle between AMD and Intel get re-hashed over the 3 years, with AMD playing the game in a completely different court while Intel struggles to play catch-up.

Paper always beats rock, but strategy doesn't always beat huge globs of money. This is such a great battle we have unfolding before us. 8)
July 24, 2006 2:10:19 PM

I'll tell you what to do, since you're so confused.
Hate ATI, Intel, Nvidia, AMD!!!
Get a VIA C3 CPU with VIA chipset!!! :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

VIA rocks!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Oh, I forgot!! All that with the S3 IGP!!
July 24, 2006 2:12:54 PM

Quote:
You cant have too many 1-star-posts, eh?

I don't post for praise. I post to provide input and receive some.
July 24, 2006 2:32:19 PM

Quote:

[/list] Jesus. I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown.

AMD Buying ATi: 5.4 Billion USD

Realizing Every Fanboy Has A
Certain Betrayal Threshold: Absolutely positively Priceless. Damn you ATi. Damn you straight to hell. :x **Sells ATi and AMD stock**
July 24, 2006 2:41:58 PM

I actually believe it'll be the best for AMD, and it'll hurt Nvidia the most; Intel is really fine either way with the release of Core 2 and they're more than large enough to take care of themselves. ATI has done a lot of great things in the past and usually seems to have a better product than Nvidia, but surprisingly even with all they’ve done, Nvidia has a larger revenue and profit each year.
July 24, 2006 2:58:25 PM

Youve been told often enough that your... "input"... isnt worth a pair of used pants >_>
July 24, 2006 3:00:32 PM

Yes..AMD and ATI merger means something to industry future. AMD will take Intel out of monopoly soon. 2008 is the target.
July 24, 2006 3:03:09 PM

Quote:

thats rich

Here is an AMD patent titled "CPU and graphics unit with shared cache"
Pat#7023445 here: http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat7023445.pdf
It was filed in April 2004 and granted in April 2006. Have a good read!! :lol: 
July 24, 2006 3:16:25 PM

Quote:
Nvidia has serious beef with INTEL

and vice versa

so i dont know what going on there

I thought Intel motherboard can't run SLI without a hack? I know my Gigabyte Nforce 4 SLI mobo is great with my 7800GTX SLi.
July 24, 2006 3:23:08 PM

Quote:

[/list]

I couldn't care less BUT lordpoop is vandalizing the forumz. How many threads are you going to open for this ATI/AMD crap you moron?
July 24, 2006 3:41:36 PM

I don't know why everyone is suddenly saying that everyone is doomed and nobody wil work with each other any more. Fortunately most of the time the people making decisions in these companies are in it to make profit, occassionally by innovating by selling stuff to us and to each other.

Morgan Stanley don't want to ruin Intel or Nvidia. They want a secure return on their investment as agreed.

AMD has certainly bought some headlines. The most interesting thing now is that AMD's big and first available answer to Core 2 Duo will be?.......

A DX10 graphics card!
July 24, 2006 3:45:57 PM

Well its looks like u the only @(*#hole who has a problem with this thread

lighten up.... u need a woman or something

go buy one for an hour
July 24, 2006 3:46:50 PM

This is really bad for ATI, if they intend on alienating the whole intel market segment by doing only onboard chips.
I hope these amd ceos realize that by selling intel crossfire and graphic cards they'd be making a profit offa intel's product.
Unless sharkioubob is in charge now, then to hell with profits.

On a side note, MMM will have to become an ATi fan boy... or switch over to the intel side. :lol: 

Yes, damn ATi to hell.. smashes video card and goes to the store to buy a Geforce. NOT
July 24, 2006 3:49:52 PM

Quote:
On a side note, MMM will have to become an ATi fan boy... or switch over to the intel side. :lol: 

I'm sure he'll manage to create a bizarre hybrid to keep his AMD/Nvidia fanatism... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
July 24, 2006 3:52:08 PM

Quote:
Well its looks like u the only @(*#hole who has a problem with this thread

lighten up.... u need a woman or something

go buy one for an hour

Look who is talking! Is this what you say to the tough guys in your school? Learn how to use the forumz idiot. You open 1 thread and you update it instead of opening a thread on every update.

July 24, 2006 3:52:38 PM

I'm sure he'll spend big bucks to have this hybrid made too.
!