Move DC to the new machine

Hi,
I need to move window 2000 domain conotroller (also DNS server and GC
server) from one old machine to the new server then retire the old one. It
sounds easy but I screwed it up before so I must be careful for that. Anyone
can show me the article about the step by step procedure for that task ?
very apprecaited,
Henry

What you need to do is install a member server in your domain and install
dns services, Select Active Directory Integrated DNS on the current dc.
promote the member server to a dc, promote it to a gc, transfer the fsmo
roles (Or if you choose not to at demotion time the old dc will transfer
them for you), point all client to the new dns server (WINS?). Demote the
old dc.

You might want to think about leaving the old dc as a little bit of fault
tolerance. Move the fsmo roles but leave the old guy up and running.

FSMO Transfer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000

GC:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

DNS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814591
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323383

"Henry Lee" <lhenry@dynamiceng.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I need to move window 2000 domain conotroller (also DNS server and
> GC server) from one old machine to the new server then retire the old one.
> It sounds easy but I screwed it up before so I must be careful for that.
> Anyone can show me the article about the step by step procedure for that
> task ?
> very apprecaited,
> Henry

Thanks for all inputs !!
VERY APPREICATED !!
Henry

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> What you need to do is install a member server in your domain and install
> dns services, Select Active Directory Integrated DNS on the current dc.
> promote the member server to a dc, promote it to a gc, transfer the fsmo
> roles (Or if you choose not to at demotion time the old dc will transfer
> them for you), point all client to the new dns server (WINS?). Demote the
> old dc.
>
> You might want to think about leaving the old dc as a little bit of fault
> tolerance. Move the fsmo roles but leave the old guy up and running.
>
> FSMO Transfer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000
>
> GC:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994
>
> DNS:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814591
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323383
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "Henry Lee" <lhenry@dynamiceng.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I need to move window 2000 domain conotroller (also DNS server and
>> GC server) from one old machine to the new server then retire the old
>> one. It sounds easy but I screwed it up before so I must be careful for
>> that. Anyone can show me the article about the step by step procedure for
>> that task ?
>> very apprecaited,
>> Henry

Latest posts