How do I convert asf files into something editable?

Montymouse

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Got a little Medion camcorder which produces asf files. These capture but I have had to then download a codec tag 45 from internet to get any sound. This works, but only on the machine with this codec. Then I try to convert them using a freeware converter into avis or mpeg2s (or even windows media files and I get no sound. How can I get a the sound file to work, so that I can edit it in Premiere?
Regard Montymouse

Montymouse

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
No, fraid not. Its a cheap Medion camcorder about £200, my first foray into video. I am now buying a BIG computer system to edit my files on, which is great, but the camera will only output asfs. Any ideas?
Montymouse

aoxue

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Have you tried Windows Movie Makeer? I remember one of my friends was doing that the other day.

Use the Movie Maker to open your files and when save, choose other formats. It should do.

tehue

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Try Windows Media Encoder 9. Not sure, but I think it works. Clic
here.

Hey, are you from England? I love that girl from "Sugar Rush", the chubby one. :D

grizzman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You might try Video Edit Magic (search using Google). The problem is the asf format is a highly compressed streaming video format. Compressed files normally don't have enough information left in them to edit worth a dang. The best solution is to try and capture in as high a quality capture setting as possible from your device and use that video as a master for editing and compressing.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I currently use Pinnacle studio 9 plus which does not support asf conversions but I understand newer versions will/do conversions of asf files.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+Plus+version+10_5+Titanium+Edition+Documents/Trial+Download/

Good luck