Where is the template stored for the setting of a new user

When I start a new user account in AD. Where are the default settings drawn
from?

I need to change a new user to use the profile of an existing user as the
default when creating the new user without typing in the UNC.

Rob
4 answers Last reply
More about where template stored setting user

    I think the setting you are talkin about come from the schema, and you
    don't want to play with that ! You are better off using a script or
    something similar to setup new users.

    sorry I didn't read your question very carefully. The profile your user
    will load comes from the default user on the workstation the newly
    created user will first logon. Usually all workstations within an
    organization come from a similar source (thinking about RIS or Ghost)
    so you should be able to handle it.

    Rob Bergstrom wrote:
    > When I start a new user account in AD. Where are the default settings drawn
    > from?
    >
    > I need to change a new user to use the profile of an existing user as the
    > default when creating the new user without typing in the UNC.
    >
    > Rob

    Use the copy feature to copy the existing user in AD. It will try to
    use the same settings for profile path but it tries to be a bit smart
    about it. If the username is at the end of the profile path it will
    substitute the new username after you copy. It does not copy the other
    users profile directory over or anything like that so the user will
    still log in with a fresh profile. It just copies some of the fields of
    the user records in AD users and groups from the previous user records
    you are copying from.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

    I can put a path in the profile of an active directory user as
    \\servername\sharename\%username% for every user to have a roaming profile.
    I can even do this in one shot for all current users in AD.
    The question is: I have a sample user, say George, that I want to use his
    profile as the default profile for any newly created users.
    So when I create a new user, the default profile is the one that George had.
    The only way I know how to do this is create a folder on a DC in the
    NETLOGON share named Default User and copy the profile there. That way on
    their first login the new user would use that profile instead of the one for
    the default user on the workstation.
    I don't have that to make that folder in the NETLOGON share so I am looking
    for another way to do it in Active Directory Users and Computers.

    Thanks,
    Rob

    <barabba72@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > sorry I didn't read your question very carefully. The profile your user
    > will load comes from the default user on the workstation the newly
    > created user will first logon. Usually all workstations within an
    > organization come from a similar source (thinking about RIS or Ghost)
    > so you should be able to handle it.

Default Microsoft Active Directory Windows