Aiming the picklock

Hi

I was just wondering -- I'm trying to play morrowind on the xbox and
the frustrating part for me (as a beginner) is trying to aim that
stupid picklock thing so that I can open doors/chests within the first
couple of tries -- I hate wasting a picklock key thingy because it
takes 15 tries.

I know I can just save and keep loading until I get it within the
first couple of times, but that gets real frustrating after a while,
coz you're forever reloading your game.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how they find
the best way to aim the thing is -- anyone :) Is there a certain point
to aim for, or mathematical equation to figure out (maybe not, I
wasn't that good at math :))?

Currently, my security skill is only 21 (I say only coz it doesn't
seem like much) -- will the aiming improve as that increases.

Ahh, the joys of learning a new game :)

Thanks for your help :)

PS ... I did a quick visual scan through the past couple hundred
posts, and also did a keyword search, but if this has been already
asked plenty, sorry :)

alex

You don't aim the lock picking (or probes) as such, other than pointing it
at the door/chest/whatever. The reason it fails is because it takes your
skill, the multiplier from the quality of the tool and your luck, then adds
a random element, akin to rolling a dice in table top role-playing. As your
skill improves, you will fail less on the low level locks. Bare in mind that
as long as it doesn't say "Lock too complex" when you try, then you stand
'some' chance of opening it.

Good luck

Alex

"No Idea :" <hmnftw@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering -- I'm trying to play morrowind on the xbox and
> the frustrating part for me (as a beginner) is trying to aim that
> stupid picklock thing so that I can open doors/chests within the first
> couple of tries -- I hate wasting a picklock key thingy because it
> takes 15 tries.
>
> I know I can just save and keep loading until I get it within the
> first couple of times, but that gets real frustrating after a while,
> coz you're forever reloading your game.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how they find
> the best way to aim the thing is -- anyone :) Is there a certain point
> to aim for, or mathematical equation to figure out (maybe not, I
> wasn't that good at math :))?
>
> Currently, my security skill is only 21 (I say only coz it doesn't
> seem like much) -- will the aiming improve as that increases.
>
> Ahh, the joys of learning a new game :)
>
> Thanks for your help :)

> PS ... I did a quick visual scan through the past couple hundred
> posts, and also did a keyword search, but if this has been already
> asked plenty, sorry :)

"No Idea :" <hmnftw@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering -- I'm trying to play morrowind on the xbox and
> the frustrating part for me (as a beginner) is trying to aim that
> stupid picklock thing so that I can open doors/chests within the first
> couple of tries -- I hate wasting a picklock key thingy because it
> takes 15 tries.
>
> I know I can just save and keep loading until I get it within the
> first couple of times, but that gets real frustrating after a while,
> coz you're forever reloading your game.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how they find
> the best way to aim the thing is -- anyone :) Is there a certain point
> to aim for, or mathematical equation to figure out (maybe not, I
> wasn't that good at math :))?
>
> Currently, my security skill is only 21 (I say only coz it doesn't
> seem like much) -- will the aiming improve as that increases.
>
> Ahh, the joys of learning a new game :)
>
> Thanks for your help :)

> PS ... I did a quick visual scan through the past couple hundred
> posts, and also did a keyword search, but if this has been already
> asked plenty, sorry :)

I don't know about xbox. On PC I got better results when I found the
keyhole and aimed at it. Also got much easier when I got master picks and
probes. I got better results from actually picking the locks than finding a
master. There are a few books that will boost your security skill.

When you've got a Security rating of 21, then you will be able to open
locks, say, 21 per cent of the time. When your Security rating is 50,
you'll be able to open locks, maybe, 50 percent of the time. When your
Security rating is 100, you'll be able to open a lock each time you
try. In this particular game, it has nothing to do with aim.

I'm just giving those figures as a rough example for comparison, not an
accurate estimate, though they seem accurate enough from my experience
with locks. Of course having a better picklock boosts your ability to
open them.

Also, I soon found that I was able to get a spellmaker to make me a
spell that opened all locks up to 100, which worked every time I
successfully cast the spell, which was most of the time. I called the
spell "Spirit of Houdini" and it was really cheap, and easy to get near
the beginning of the game.

Hope this helps

In article <ef1798af.0408170440.f3d0b8@posting.google.com>, No Idea :
<hmnftw@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was just wondering -- I'm trying to play morrowind on the xbox and
> the frustrating part for me (as a beginner) is trying to aim that
> stupid picklock thing so that I can open doors/chests within the first
> couple of tries -- I hate wasting a picklock key thingy because it
> takes 15 tries.
>
> I know I can just save and keep loading until I get it within the
> first couple of times, but that gets real frustrating after a while,
> coz you're forever reloading your game.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how they find
> the best way to aim the thing is -- anyone :) Is there a certain point
> to aim for, or mathematical equation to figure out (maybe not, I
> wasn't that good at math :))?
>
> Currently, my security skill is only 21 (I say only coz it doesn't
> seem like much) -- will the aiming improve as that increases.
>
> Ahh, the joys of learning a new game :)
>
> Thanks for your help :)

> PS ... I did a quick visual scan through the past couple hundred
> posts, and also did a keyword search, but if this has been already
> asked plenty, sorry :)

Thanks, everyone, for your replies -- they all made things clearer
(and less frustrating??) for me :) Now, I'm off to enjoy the game
again :)

El Ramon <elramon@myway.com> wrote in message news:<220820041612283258%elramon@myway.com>...
> When you've got a Security rating of 21, then you will be able to open
> locks, say, 21 per cent of the time. When your Security rating is 50,
> you'll be able to open locks, maybe, 50 percent of the time. When your
> Security rating is 100, you'll be able to open a lock each time you
> try. In this particular game, it has nothing to do with aim.
>
> I'm just giving those figures as a rough example for comparison, not an
> accurate estimate, though they seem accurate enough from my experience
> with locks. Of course having a better picklock boosts your ability to
> open them.
>
> Also, I soon found that I was able to get a spellmaker to make me a
> spell that opened all locks up to 100, which worked every time I
> successfully cast the spell, which was most of the time. I called the
> spell "Spirit of Houdini" and it was really cheap, and easy to get near
> the beginning of the game.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> In article <ef1798af.0408170440.f3d0b8@posting.google.com>, No Idea :
> <hmnftw@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I was just wondering -- I'm trying to play morrowind on the xbox and
> > the frustrating part for me (as a beginner) is trying to aim that
> > stupid picklock thing so that I can open doors/chests within the first
> > couple of tries -- I hate wasting a picklock key thingy because it
> > takes 15 tries.
> >
> > I know I can just save and keep loading until I get it within the
> > first couple of times, but that gets real frustrating after a while,
> > coz you're forever reloading your game.
> >
> > Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how they find
> > the best way to aim the thing is -- anyone :) Is there a certain point
> > to aim for, or mathematical equation to figure out (maybe not, I
> > wasn't that good at math :))?
> >
> > Currently, my security skill is only 21 (I say only coz it doesn't
> > seem like much) -- will the aiming improve as that increases.
> >
> > Ahh, the joys of learning a new game :)
> >
> > Thanks for your help :)

> > PS ... I did a quick visual scan through the past couple hundred
> > posts, and also did a keyword search, but if this has been already
> > asked plenty, sorry :)

"El Ramon" <elramon@myway.com> wrote in message
> When you've got a Security rating of 21, then you will be able to open
> locks, say, 21 per cent of the time.

-Snip

> When your Security rating is 100, you'll be able to open a lock each time
you
> try. In this particular game, it has nothing to do with aim.
> Also, I soon found that I was able to get a spellmaker to make me a
> spell that opened all locks up to 100, which worked every time I
> successfully cast the spell, which was most of the time. I called the
> spell "Spirit of Houdini" and it was really cheap, and easy to get near
> the beginning of the game.

I call mine "DoorKicker", but the same idea. Hell, it's cheap in comparison
to a whole boatload of other ones, and if you're in tight with the Mage
Guild ("Introducin' ma Homs, Trebabious D!") it's cheaper still.

And everytime you get the urge to B&E, it'll juice up your, uh,
"Alteration?" magic skill.

For an added benefit, make it a ranged cast with a target area. REALLY
useful for throwing it about if you're in a hurry to get out...

-neh.