Can I use Dell E510 case for upgrade?

tootall123

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hello,

I am kinda new to all of this, but I know enough to build my own computer. I am wondering if I could use a Dell E510 case with the power supply that comes with it, to build my own? Does the E510 only allow you to put in motherboards and drives that come from Dell? Or could I put 3rd party parts in it?

I am looking at building something similar to the $500 gaming machine that is here http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/14/the_/. Will at least the motherboard and video cards from the gaming machine in the link fit into the Dell E510?

Thanks.

sturm

Splendid
I wouldnt trust the power supply to power your new rig. Dell power supplies are wired different as far as I know. So if you plug them in to a non dell board your fry it. Plus the case probably wont have the correct mounting holes for the new board.
Dell, HP, Compaq, etc all use proprietory parts. They dont work well other that in their own systems.
Do your self a favor and get a new case. Use the old computer for downloads or file server.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i second that, I would never skimp out on the PSU (afterall it is connected to every one of your parts) do yourself a favour and buy a decent ~£60 PSU Seasonic are good. as far as a case goes get something Plain dont worry bout extras (i.e. ignore cases that come with psu) probably gonna use a TT VB1000BNS for my next build @ £47 its a very good buy (Overclockers). on the other hand if you are on a shoestring then i would say that the DELL probably will fit your motherboard but you would be best off in a new one (do you really want your mates to think you are using a Dell still rather than gawp at your Self build?)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
They sometimes use proprietary form factors, but almost always the PSU will have a strange pin arrangement and will be about 10w rated higher than the draw of the parts that Dell have put in. They'll probably not let you replace the ATX backplate, either, so unless you're lucky your new board won't fit anyway.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
So if you plug them in to a non dell board your fry it.

....wtf....lie.

anyways

the Dell case is made for mATX motherboards. so you would need a mATX motherboard.

Finally. I dont recommend you use it. Look for Antec cases + PSU bundles. they are cheap and good around 60 dollars.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I used my Gateway case when I upgraded my mobo, cpu and ram. It took the mATX board without a problem. It's actually a pretty nice case too. Not many expansion bays, but very solid, completely tooless, side panel comes off with the push of a button. Needs some cooling improvements though, I'm thinking dual 80mm fans on the side panel, one 80mm blow hole, and one maybe two front intakes. Anyways, this has nothing to do with your question, just ranting.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
So if you plug them in to a non dell board your fry it.

....wtf....lie.

anyways

the Dell case is made for mATX motherboards. so you would need a mATX motherboard.

Finally. I dont recommend you use it. Look for Antec cases + PSU bundles. they are cheap and good around 60 dollars.

QFT about the power supply incompatibility myth. Dell stopped using proprietary power supplies in their tower cases sometime around 1998 to 2002.

HOWEVER, the Dell E510 is a BTX case, so no mATX board will work, only another BTX board. The only problem using an aftermarket board in a Dell is that the front panel connectors will probably need new ends to connect to the new board, and the fact that the OEM Windows XP won't work with a new board (needs Dell bios to prevent product activation).

Coming from someone who has done it, totall123 would be better served by following Pengwin's advice and getting a more compatible ATX case.

Narutofan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would also recommend getting another btx mobo with PSU, there is a slim chance the PSU will work with a new one. (Ive had to replace PSU in dells before, the systems varied from the Dim 3000 to the Optiplex and a couple of XPS machines, i would recommend buying a 500w PSU (no less than 400) because even if the PSU will work, most Prop. companys like Dell will put a PSU that will barely run the machine and leaves no room for upgrading.

The front panel connector as well will not work on another board except the dell mobo. because on this model dell it uses a plug similar to the floppy or ide connector for the front panel buttons and devices (usb, mic...).

Antec is a really good brand to use. I have a Antec SOHO case with glass side and a 480PSU with no problems whatsoever.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd have to see the case: Some Dell motherboards use Intel's OEM front panel connector, so in theory could work with another Intel board with the OEM style front-panel connector. I think Intel uses it on most of its boards since around 2002.

Anyway, I've rewired the front panel connectors on many systems, it's usually not too difficult :p

Narutofan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you do a ebay search for the mobo, sorry, cant get a link to the mobo pic, if you look at the memory slots, If you are looking at the board with the memory slots at the bottom facing you, its that black IDE looking connector, under the floppy and ide connectors on the board.

It might work. Ive only used AMD and dell doesnt make amd comps cept for servers (coming soon).

Thanks,

Kenneth Knight.

G

TO your Question -- YES

For god's sake people just get the e510 MB off of ebay slap it inthere and boom a computer.. jeez was that so hard..

Also be mindfull of what video card you put in it. Being a BTX the video card is put in upside down... also a 8800gtx will not fit due to this issue. Looks like there is 1 to 2 inches of clearence beyond the PCIEX slot to the cpu heat sink case deal altho this is the stock stuff so if you use a different heatsink you may be able to fit more... I would get nothing bigger than 1.5 inch beyond the PCIEX slot to be safe.

Also it uses lga 775 CPU's and I presume ddr2 but I'm not a 100% on that. In 2010 This would be very doable for around $500

Expect to pay about $120 for the MB with shipping.