Sign in with
Your question

Turning On Computer Problem. Please Help!

Last response: in Memory
July 24, 2006 3:37:21 PM

Hello,

I have had my computer for about a year now. I am having a major issue with my computer. Everytime time I turn on my computer, nothing happens. All the fans, hard drives, video card, dvd, floppy, and cpu power up, but the computer doesnt boot up. My monitor says no signal and turns off. I have to reset the computer and then it boots up and works perfectly fine. I have switched out power supplies, video card, but it still has the same problem. I have also changed the CMOS battery and updated the bios. I have narrowed it down to 2 things. It is eather is a ram or motherboard issue! Do you think it could be the new bios?

Does anybody know what is causing this problem? Anything I can do to fix this? Any tests I can run?

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker
Logitech MX518 - 1600 dpi Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech Media EliteBlack Wired Keyboard
July 24, 2006 4:10:49 PM

well have you run mem test 86 yet if not do so, it will tell you if your ram is bad.

but from the sounds of it with the power on nothing then reset it works It might be a faulty hard drive too, have you tried getting a new hdd and install windows on to it.
July 24, 2006 6:20:51 PM

Quote:
well have you run mem test 86 yet if not do so, it will tell you if your ram is bad.

but from the sounds of it with the power on nothing then reset it works It might be a faulty hard drive too, have you tried getting a new hdd and install windows on to it.

No, it cant be the hard drive. Because I can unplug the sata cables and the comptuer will still go through 2 screens before saying no hard drive present.

I am going to run mem test 86. Do you know how long it takes to run that test?

Thanks
Related resources
July 25, 2006 9:08:00 AM

Not too long, depends on platform and memory speed/size.
I Just let it run overnight on my systems.
If you have a knoppix cd you can boot from that and then just type memtest and hit enter.
July 25, 2006 1:23:05 PM

one more thing to try, but you might have already tried, is to remove all unneeded stuff like your sound card ide drives everything. just leave the video card in, one stick of ram at a time (and test all 4 of your sticks), and of course the cpu. not hdd no nothing and see if you can get it to boot to the no boot disk or get into your bios on the first cold boot.

then start adding in stuff one thing at a time and booting to see if maybe you have some other falulty hardware. But from the sounds of things you have prolly alredy tried this.

let us know how that mem test turns out, it could likely be a bad stick that you can just give back to corsair for a new stick. lets hope anyway
!