another oblivion predicament

mala1s3

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
ok im gettin my x800xl agp in 2 weeks. but the system im putting it on is a 2400+ sempron, 1GB kingston value ram system. what i wanna know is, should i play and install oblivion now, or hold off for maybe 4 months for my athlon64 3500+, asrock dual sata II upgrade (same x800xl migrated to that system). how much would i miss gameplay-wise if i played oblivion now?

garnin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
4 months?!? That's a long time to wait. If you're gonna keep the same video card, I don't think it'll make a huge difference. You'll mostly notice the main difference in loading times.

I'm playing on a Northwood 3.06 GHz, 1 gig of whatever cheap ram dell gives, and x800 GTO and it's fine for me, just gotta play on medium settings.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I just bought the same graphics card as the one you are waiting for and our systems are almost the same except for the mobo. Oblivion runs just fine at the high-mid range settings :)

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
If you are not going to use your new graphics card, you might as well have whaited 4 mounths buying it.
I say use the card while it is new. It will play Oblivion fine on medium settings.
I know that Oblivion is supposed to be hard on the CPU, but I still think that you are more limited by your grapgics card.

mala1s3

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
what difference would a faster processor - as in a a jump from a sempon 2400+ to an athlon64 3500+ (all other variablles considered constant) actually make for oblivion?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well, u have a pretty old version of a B-type CPU.. I dont think that even fits the minimum system specs, and even though GPUs matter far more in games, u cant take the Brain of ur PC too lightly, i mean it does do a fair ammount or else u wouldnt need it.
Not to mention that an X850 wouldnt be that great on Oblivion. Youd only be able to run it on Medium+ anyway, so why not just get a less powerfull CPU in 4 months and get a better card now, such as the X1900/X1800 or perhaps something from Nvidia, like the 7900 GT. Those are the only cards worth buying now adays anyway. I mean 64-bit sucks and u can do with a few CPU cycles less.

mala1s3

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Well, u have a pretty old version of a B-type CPU.. I dont think that even fits the minimum system specs, and even though GPUs matter far more in games, u cant take the Brain of ur PC too lightly, i mean it does do a fair ammount or else u wouldnt need it.
Not to mention that an X850 wouldnt be that great on Oblivion. Youd only be able to run it on Medium+ anyway, so why not just get a less powerfull CPU in 4 months and get a better card now, such as the X1900/X1800 or perhaps something from Nvidia, like the 7900 GT. Those are the only cards worth buying now adays anyway. I mean 64-bit sucks and u can do with a few CPU cycles less.

cant do that. im still on agp, as i will also be playin COD2 and Splinter Cell: CT on it when i get that X800XL (those games i've held off playing, too, till i get rid of this 9600xt). So, question stands, at least for you: would you start playing Oblivion on a Sempron 2400+, X800XL system in 2 weeks, or wait for an Athlon64 3500+, X800XL system in more or less 4 months then stat playing Oblivion?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

cant do that. im still on agp, as i will also be playin COD2 and Splinter Cell: CT on it when i get that X800XL (those games i've held off playing, too, till i get rid of this 9600xt). So, question stands, at least for you: would you start playing Oblivion on a Sempron 2400+, X800XL system in 2 weeks, or wait for an Athlon64 3500+, X800XL system in more or less 4 months then stat playing Oblivion?

Yeh, i know what ur question was and im at the same place u are now.. except i have a good CPU. So what im going to do is buy a new Motherboard wich PCI-E and but the X1900XT/7900GT because buying anything else isnt worth my money. Its like HDDs, or anything that comes in quantity for that matter, u pay less for every extra GB, so that buying a 250GB HDD is better then buying a 160GB HDD.
But if u want an answer, then play it now, because it will probably be the same now and in 4 months.