NTFRS errors after rebuilding DC

I have a network with 2 DC's on it DC1 and DC2. DC1 crashed and needed to be
rebuilt. I gave the new DC the same name DC1 since I did a metadata clean up
I thought it would be ok. I am getting the following errors

Event ID 4319

Source NetBT

A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of
the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command
window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

Event ID 8005

Source MRxSmb

The browser has received a server announcement indicating that the computer
DC1 is a master browser, but this computer is not a master browser.

Event ID 13508

Source NtFrs

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from DC2
to DC1 for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name dc2.domain.com. FRS will
keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name dc2.domain.com from this
computer.
[2] FRS is not running on dc2.domain.com.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
connection has been established.

The rebuilt domain controller is not acting as a full blown DC since it
isn't replicating NTFRS. What can I try to get it back to its intended
status.

Does this have the same IP address as it used to? Check WINS.

Also:

Try running netdiag, repadmin and dcdiag. Look for fail, error and warning
errors.

If you don't have the tools installed load them from your install disk.

d:\i386\adminpak.msi (Server tools for remote management of servers)
d:\support\tools\setup.exe (Server Utilities)

Copy the following to a cmd file and run look for error, fail and warn
within the reports. Post any errors you can't figure out. make sure you
modify DC_Name to the name of a dc in your domain.

@echo off

c:
cd \
cd "program files\support tools"

del c:\dcdiag.log
dcdiag /e /c /v /s:DC_Name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
start c:\dcdiag.log

netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log
start c:\netdiag.log

repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
start c:\repl.txt

See for more details

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/1d4ce93c-54f2-4069-a708-251509c38837.mspx

"Mike S" <Mike S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a network with 2 DC's on it DC1 and DC2. DC1 crashed and needed to
>be
> rebuilt. I gave the new DC the same name DC1 since I did a metadata clean
> up
> I thought it would be ok. I am getting the following errors
>
> Event ID 4319
>
> Source NetBT
>
> A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of
> the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a
> command
> window to see which name is in the Conflict state.
>
> Event ID 8005
>
> Source MRxSmb
>

> The browser has received a server announcement indicating that the
> computer
> DC1 is a master browser, but this computer is not a master browser.
>
> Event ID 13508
>
> Source NtFrs
>
> The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
> DC2
> to DC1 for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name dc2.domain.com. FRS
> will
> keep retrying.
> Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
>
> [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name dc2.domain.com from this
> computer.
> [2] FRS is not running on dc2.domain.com.
> [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
> not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
>
> This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
> is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
> connection has been established.
>
> The rebuilt domain controller is not acting as a full blown DC since it
> isn't replicating NTFRS. What can I try to get it back to its intended
> status.

Paul thanks for the help.

The DC has the same name and the same IP address. I do not use WINS I use
DDNS.

I ran all the diags you suggested
The following failed.

From DCDIAG.log

Starting test: Advertising
Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for
\\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com, when we were trying to reach TMCDC01.
Server is not responding or is not considered suitable.
The DC TMCDC01 is advertising itself as a DC and having a DS.
The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as an LDAP server
The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as having a writeable directory
The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as a Key Distribution Center
The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as a time server
......................... TMCDC01 failed test Advertising

From NETDIAG.LOG

Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Failed
Test to ensure DomainSid of domain 'TMC' is correct.
Secure channel for domain 'TMC' is to '\\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com'.
Secure channel for domain 'TMC' was successfully set to DC
'\\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com'.
[FATAL] Cannot test secure channel for domain 'TMC' to DC 'tmcdc01'.
[ERROR_SERVICE_NOT_ACTIVE]

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> [...]
> > DC2
> > to DC1 for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name dc2.domain.com. FRS
> > will
> > keep retrying.
> > Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
> >
> > [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name dc2.domain.com from this
> > computer.
> > [2] FRS is not running on dc2.domain.com.
> > [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
> > not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
> >
> > This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
> > is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
> > connection has been established.
> >
> > The rebuilt domain controller is not acting as a full blown DC since it
> > isn't replicating NTFRS. What can I try to get it back to its intended

Does this dc have multiple nic's? If so disable one and reboot the server
(Or run a netdiag /fix).

If you aren't using dhcp (Reserved address) make sure both the ip address
and the sub-net mask are correct.

What does dns say for a name and ip address for this conflict?

Look at
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4319&eventno=554&source=NetBT&phase=1
for possible similar problems to what you have run across.

> [...]
>> > FRS
>> > will
>> > keep retrying.
>> > Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
>> >
>> > [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name dc2.domain.com from this
>> > computer.
>> > [2] FRS is not running on dc2.domain.com.
>> > [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica
>> > has
>> > not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
>> >
>> > This event log message will appear once per connection, After the
>> > problem
>> > is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
>> > connection has been established.
>> >
>> > The rebuilt domain controller is not acting as a full blown DC since it
>> > isn't replicating NTFRS. What can I try to get it back to its intended

I have 2 NICs that are being used as one. It is a Compaq server and they are
using the teaming software from Compaq.

I ran the netdiag /fix and receive the following error

Domain membership test . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] Ths system volume has not been completely replicated to the
local
machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.

I also ran nbtstat -n

Local Area Connection 3:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.168.254] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
TMCDC01 <00> UNIQUE Registered
TMCDC01 <20> UNIQUE Registered
TMC <00> GROUP Registered
TMC <1C> GROUP Registered
TMC <1E> GROUP Registered
TMCDC01 <03> UNIQUE Registered
INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
IS~TMCDC01.....<00> UNIQUE Registered

The DNS reads that my DC is the only machine with the IP address.

I also checked the config of the IP on the NIC and it is correct.

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Copy the following to a cmd file and run look for error, fail and warn
> >> within the reports. Post any errors you can't figure out. make sure you
> >> modify DC_Name to the name of a dc in your domain.
> >>
> >> @echo off
> >>
> >> c:
> >> cd \
> >> cd "program files\support tools"
> >>
> >> del c:\dcdiag.log
> >> dcdiag /e /c /v /s:DC_Name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
> >> start c:\dcdiag.log
> >>
> >> netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log
> >> start c:\netdiag.log
> >>
> >> repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
> >> start c:\repl.txt
> >>

> >> See for more details
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/1d4ce93c-54f2-4069-a708-251509c38837.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

Sorry I don't know what teaming is but, I would disable one of the nic's to
find out if this is where the issue is coming from. You can work from there
once you have proven it does or doesn't resolve the initial issue.

> [...]
>> > Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for
>> > \\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com, when we were trying to reach TMCDC01.
>> > Server is not responding or is not considered suitable.
>> > The DC TMCDC01 is advertising itself as a DC and having a DS.
>> > The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as an LDAP server
>> > The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as having a writeable directory
>> > The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as a Key Distribution Center
>> > The DC TMCDC01 is advertising as a time server
>> > ......................... TMCDC01 failed test Advertising
>> >
>> > From NETDIAG.LOG
>> >
>> > Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Failed
>> > Test to ensure DomainSid of domain 'TMC' is correct.
>> > Secure channel for domain 'TMC' is to
>> > '\\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com'.
>> > Secure channel for domain 'TMC' was successfully set to DC
>> > '\\tmcdc02.tmc.themarkets.com'.
>> > [FATAL] Cannot test secure channel for domain 'TMC' to DC 'tmcdc01'.

I have disabled one NIC and I am still getting the same issues. If you have
any other ideas it is appreciated.

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> Sorry I don't know what teaming is but, I would disable one of the nic's to
> find out if this is where the issue is coming from. You can work from there
> once you have proven it does or doesn't resolve the initial issue.
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "Mike S" <MikeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 NICs that are being used as one. It is a Compaq server and they
> >are
> > using the teaming software from Compaq.
> >
> > I ran the netdiag /fix and receive the following error
> >
> > Domain membership test . . . . . . : Failed
> > [WARNING] Ths system volume has not been completely replicated to the
> > local
> > machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.
> >
> > I also ran nbtstat -n
> >
> > Local Area Connection 3:
> > Node IpAddress: [192.168.168.254] Scope Id: []
> >
> > NetBIOS Local Name Table
> >
> > Name Type Status
> > TMCDC01 <00> UNIQUE Registered
> > TMCDC01 <20> UNIQUE Registered
> > TMC <00> GROUP Registered
> > TMC <1C> GROUP Registered
> > TMC <1E> GROUP Registered
> > TMCDC01 <03> UNIQUE Registered
> > INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
> > IS~TMCDC01.....<00> UNIQUE Registered
> >
> > The DNS reads that my DC is the only machine with the IP address.
> >

> > I also checked the config of the IP on the NIC and it is correct.
> >

> > "Paul Bergson" wrote:
> >
> >> Does this dc have multiple nic's? If so disable one and reboot the
> >> server
> >> (Or run a netdiag /fix).
> >>
> >> If you aren't using dhcp (Reserved address) make sure both the ip address
> >> and the sub-net mask are correct.
> >>
> >> What does dns say for a name and ip address for this conflict?
> >>

> >> Look at
> >> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4319&eventno=554&source=NetBT&phase=1
> >> for possible similar problems to what you have run across.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> >> rights.
> >>

> >> "Mike S" <MikeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

once disabled did you run a netdiag /fix or reboot the dc?

>I have disabled one NIC and I am still getting the same issues. If you
>have
> any other ideas it is appreciated.
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
>> Sorry I don't know what teaming is but, I would disable one of the nic's
>> find out if this is where the issue is coming from. You can work from
>> there
>> once you have proven it does or doesn't resolve the initial issue.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

>> rights.
>>

>> "Mike S" <MikeS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 2 NICs that are being used as one. It is a Compaq server and
>> >they
>> >are
>> > using the teaming software from Compaq.
>> >
>> > I ran the netdiag /fix and receive the following error
>> >
>> > Domain membership test . . . . . . : Failed
>> > [WARNING] Ths system volume has not been completely replicated to
>> > the
>> > local
>> > machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.
>> >
>> > I also ran nbtstat -n
>> >
>> > Local Area Connection 3:
>> > Node IpAddress: [192.168.168.254] Scope Id: []
>> >
>> > NetBIOS Local Name Table
>> >
>> > Name Type Status
>> > ---------------------------------------------
>> > TMCDC01 <00> UNIQUE Registered
>> > TMCDC01 <20> UNIQUE Registered
>> > TMC <00> GROUP Registered
>> > TMC <1C> GROUP Registered
>> > TMC <1E> GROUP Registered
>> > TMCDC01 <03> UNIQUE Registered
>> > INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered
>> > IS~TMCDC01.....<00> UNIQUE Registered
>> >
>> > The DNS reads that my DC is the only machine with the IP address.
>> >

>> > I also checked the config of the IP on the NIC and it is correct.

I rebooted the DC