Anyone running Asterisk with Dialogic?

Last response: in Networking
September 8, 2005 5:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech (More info?)

Is there anybody out there who has experience running Asterisk with
Dialogic boards?

BTW: The only Dialogic boards supported by Asterisk (because they have
a similar design philosophy as the Digium/Zaptel) as those of the JCT
family.

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:04:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech (More info?)

> Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
around:

http://www.asterisk.org/hardware

Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
from someone who really knows what he's talking about.

Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.

Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

-Ramon
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:30:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech (More info?)

I tried setting up Asterisk with a Dialogic card . It was a D/41D, and I
spent three days messing with it, hoping that if it worked I could move up
to a D/42D-SL. Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

"Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in message
> Is there anybody out there who has experience running Asterisk with
> Dialogic boards?
>
> BTW: The only Dialogic boards supported by Asterisk (because they have
> a similar design philosophy as the Digium/Zaptel) as those of the JCT
> family.
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon F Herrera

Related resources
September 13, 2005 1:39:26 PM

> > Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.
>
> Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
> around:
>
> http://www.asterisk.org/hardware
>
> Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
> therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
> from someone who really knows what he's talking about.
>
> Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
> Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.
>
> Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
> the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
> is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
> simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

Well, Thats what Intel does though, Aculab will be releasing an Asterisk
board soon and im sure others soon will.
Remeber the boards from digium are based on the Zapata project, Clone
TDM400s are avalible from China I believe

Ian

Ian
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:37:24 PM

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
> Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.

Don't think it is a per-channel (at least in my local catalog SR6 has a
fixed priced that translates in a few hundred dollars), but the drivers
are certainly not free. See
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/telecom/so...

and look at the 'Intel Policy' small-print.

> Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
> the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
> is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
> simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

That is what red tape does to a smaller company :)

> -Ramon

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 3:01:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.telecom.tech (More info?)

In article <11id41q8i9obm1f@corp.supernews.com>,
Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:

>"Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@conexus.net> wrote in message
>> > Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.
>>
>> Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept
>> around:
>>
>> http://www.asterisk.org/hardware
>>
>> Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and
>> therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that
>> from someone who really knows what he's talking about.
>>
>> Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for
>> Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.
>>
>> Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards,
>> the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary
>> is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market,
>> simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

It happened before. In the 1990s the Internet hammered all the other
data networks that didn't see it coming. In the 1980s the peecees
hammered the minicomputers.

Even back a hundred years ago International Harvester clung to steam
harvesters, and got hammered. Never trust a corporate monopoly to behave
rationally.

After nearly 30 years dealing with vendors like this I simply ignore
the half-breeds and the hacks, and go for the solutions that are supported
and work. Don't be afraid that they are small, upstart companies. If they
really serve a business need they will become household names and the
founders will sell off and buy themself something outragous, like a
MIG, or a fleet of competition sailing yachts.

I have been through it with Sun, Cisco and others.

>Well, Thats what Intel does though, Aculab will be releasing an Asterisk
>board soon and im sure others soon will.
>Remeber the boards from digium are based on the Zapata project, Clone
>TDM400s are avalible from China I believe

Sangoma also produce some great boards, although they need two
layers of drivers. They have their own, and a shim layer driver to
support zapata. The upside of this is better interrupt handling.
The downside is a complicated driver setup with some not-quite-open
drivers for teh card.

Cheap multiport ATA's are also arriving. Or, you could get yourself
a traditional channel bank and hook it up to a T1/E1 port. Affordable,
IP phones are also arriving in volume now.

-- mrr
!