Multiple profiles - broadband access

Hi,
We have two user profiles on our home PC. We have installed wireless
broadband internet access onto one profile, but cannot access it from the
second profile - please can someone explain how we can both access the
internet from our own profiles?
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about multiple profiles broadband access

    Hello Jen,

    If the second account is a "Limited" account you will have to temporarily
    change it to an admin account, install/set up the wireless access, then you
    can change it back.
    Michael Ortega

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We have two user profiles on our home PC. We have installed wireless
    > broadband internet access onto one profile, but cannot access it from the
    > second profile - please can someone explain how we can both access the
    > internet from our own profiles?
    > Thanks

    Both accounts are admin accounts - it looks like the disks are already
    installed but there are no icons / menus to access the internet - when we try
    using the old freeserve link we get an error message saying that access is
    denied.
    The blueyonder helpdesk said it is possible to set up on two accounts, but
    they don't support it themselves so we'd have to figure it out for
    ourselves...

    "Michael Ortega" wrote:

    > Hello Jen,
    >
    > If the second account is a "Limited" account you will have to temporarily
    > change it to an admin account, install/set up the wireless access, then you
    > can change it back.
    > Michael Ortega
    >
    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > We have two user profiles on our home PC. We have installed wireless
    > > broadband internet access onto one profile, but cannot access it from the
    > > second profile - please can someone explain how we can both access the
    > > internet from our own profiles?
    > > Thanks

    Hello Jen,

    Technically its still one account since you are still on the same computer
    :-p If you were to call them again don't inform them of the other account,
    they gave you a "Oh this is not my problem any more hahahahahaha" response.
    Have you gone through every step up did with the first account. I would tend
    the believe that all the setting that were made are user specific and would
    have to be set up the same way for each other account on the computer. By
    "Wireless Broadband" do you mean that the modem the company gave you is
    wireless or they connected it to a router? What kind of broadband is it?
    Cable or DSL?

    > Both accounts are admin accounts - it looks like the disks are already
    > installed but there are no icons / menus to access the internet - when we
    > try
    > using the old freeserve link we get an error message saying that access is
    > denied.
    > The blueyonder helpdesk said it is possible to set up on two accounts, but
    > they don't support it themselves so we'd have to figure it out for
    > ourselves...
    >

    > "Michael Ortega" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Jen,
    >>
    >> If the second account is a "Limited" account you will have to temporarily
    >> change it to an admin account, install/set up the wireless access, then
    >> you
    >> can change it back.
    >> --
    >> Michael Ortega
    >>
    >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > We have two user profiles on our home PC. We have installed wireless
    >> > broadband internet access onto one profile, but cannot access it from
    >> > the
    >> > second profile - please can someone explain how we can both access the
    >> > internet from our own profiles?
    >> > Thanks

    It goes through the cable TV set-top box, with a thingumy that plugs into the
    USB port on the processor. It's Blueyonder, through Telewest.
    Jen

    "Michael Ortega" wrote:

    > Hello Jen,
    >
    > Technically its still one account since you are still on the same computer
    > :-p If you were to call them again don't inform them of the other account,
    > they gave you a "Oh this is not my problem any more hahahahahaha" response.
    > Have you gone through every step up did with the first account. I would tend
    > the believe that all the setting that were made are user specific and would
    > have to be set up the same way for each other account on the computer. By
    > "Wireless Broadband" do you mean that the modem the company gave you is
    > wireless or they connected it to a router? What kind of broadband is it?
    > Cable or DSL?
    > Michael Ortega
    >
    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Both accounts are admin accounts - it looks like the disks are already
    > > installed but there are no icons / menus to access the internet - when we
    > > try
    > > using the old freeserve link we get an error message saying that access is
    > > denied.
    > > The blueyonder helpdesk said it is possible to set up on two accounts, but
    > > they don't support it themselves so we'd have to figure it out for
    > > ourselves...
    > >

    > > "Michael Ortega" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello Jen,
    > >>
    > >> If the second account is a "Limited" account you will have to temporarily
    > >> change it to an admin account, install/set up the wireless access, then
    > >> you
    > >> can change it back.
    > >> --
    > >> Michael Ortega
    > >>
    > >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hello Again Jen,

    I assume that you have tried installing the software on the second account?
    When you use the software on the first account what does it do? Do you have
    to enter in a user name and password, or just bring up the software and it
    connects? Perhaps the drivers still need to be installed for the second
    account, after you log in unplug the modem from the USB port, wait a few
    seconds and then plug it back in, you should hear a sound, and see it start
    installing(little icon in the bottom right)

    > It goes through the cable TV set-top box, with a thingumy that plugs into
    > the
    > USB port on the processor. It's Blueyonder, through Telewest.
    > Jen
    >

    > "Michael Ortega" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Jen,
    >>
    >> Technically its still one account since you are still on the same
    >> computer
    >> :-p If you were to call them again don't inform them of the other
    >> account,
    >> they gave you a "Oh this is not my problem any more hahahahahaha"
    >> response.
    >> Have you gone through every step up did with the first account. I would
    >> tend
    >> the believe that all the setting that were made are user specific and
    >> would
    >> have to be set up the same way for each other account on the computer.
    >> By
    >> "Wireless Broadband" do you mean that the modem the company gave you is
    >> wireless or they connected it to a router? What kind of broadband is it?
    >> Cable or DSL?
    >> --
    >> Michael Ortega
    >>
    >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Both accounts are admin accounts - it looks like the disks are already
    >> > installed but there are no icons / menus to access the internet - when
    >> > we
    >> > try
    >> > using the old freeserve link we get an error message saying that access
    >> > is
    >> > denied.
    >> > The blueyonder helpdesk said it is possible to set up on two accounts,
    >> > but
    >> > they don't support it themselves so we'd have to figure it out for
    >> > ourselves...

Broadband Internet Access Microsoft Windows XP