What should i look for when buying a UPS

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hi guys n gals,

I Haven't posted in ages, but I am thinking of buying a UPS.
Ive never bought one before and i live in taiwan so the ones I find tend to be covered in chinese writing I can't understand and theres no names I recognise.
I need to hook up 2 pc's, one with a 580w psu and one with a 420w psu, 2 lcd monitors, speakers etc, although speakers are obviously not really important, its just i was hoping to get around the problem of when someone switches a light off on my floor, my sub kinda pops.

Anyway what basic specs do i need to look for, i looked at the sticky etc but doesnt help me. Any advice will be much appreciated!

cheers, cheetsy

Mondoman

Splendid
Check out the APC website (apcc.com I think). They make very good-quality UPS/power conditioning equipment and have useful "what do I need" info on their website.
In your case, it sounds like power conditioning (surge supression and *voltage regulation*) are your main priority, with backup run time secondary. That means you need a fancier UPS, but not one with so heavy a battery that it will need 4 Teamsters to deliver (it'll still be heavy, though). Not sure what to look for on the box, but what you want is something that'll automatically draw on the battery to up the voltage if it drops below nominal and trim it if it goes too high.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hi guys n gals,

I Haven't posted in ages, but I am thinking of buying a UPS.
Ive never bought one before and i live in taiwan so the ones I find tend to be covered in chinese writing I can't understand and theres no names I recognise.
I need to hook up 2 pc's, one with a 580w psu and one with a 420w psu, 2 lcd monitors, speakers etc, although speakers are obviously not really important, its just i was hoping to get around the problem of when someone switches a light off on my floor, my sub kinda pops.

Anyway what basic specs do i need to look for, i looked at the sticky etc but doesnt help me. Any advice will be much appreciated!

cheers, cheetsy

Look at cyberpower too. They're generally cheaper than APC and they're nice units. I picked up 2 1200va units last weekend at Best Buy (sucks) for 84 each.

Good luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll probably want something with 700W capability. Beyond that you really don't know the other part: How long it will "stay up", because few if any manufacturers advertise Amp Hour ratings.

I have a huge one that's really just barely powerfull enough, but has huge batteries that can keep my system up for about 45 minutes.

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Nice one, thanks alot, i shall pop round my local 3c and see what they have!! Ill particually look for these brands too. Thanks, i have much more of an idea of what im looking for now :D, thanks all!!

cheetsy