tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Especially with all the discussion about the AMD/ATI deal, I've been reading a lot of comments lately to the tune of "I will never let any ATI component in my computer. Death to AMD and long live Intel."

Myself, I'm baffled by all this anti-ATI thinking. A year ago I built a PC and selected an X800 XL for the graphics (I found it to be the best price/performance in my price range). I booted up, installed windows, downloaded new ATI drivers, installed, rebooted, and was gaming away with no problems in mere minutes.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has a 6600 GT in his PC build. He also had to do nothing more than install new drivers to get his card working perfectly.

As far as I can tell, nVidia and ATI cards are just as easy to install and use. Sure, their features may sometimes differ (my X800 has no SM3.0 support, for example), but that's all explicitly stated on the box.

Is there some reason I always see such rabid anti-ATI comments? Near as I can tell, ATI and nVidia are neck-and-neck in just about every area.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Welcome to the internet.

You're experiencing a phenomenom call "fan boys". Fan boys are somewhat like sports fans, except less testicles. They pick a company that they like, then boast about it on internet message boards, while berating it's competitor. It has nothing to do with the actual performance of the products, and everything to do with a lack of a social life, a damp parent's basement, and virginity. The best way to approach fan boys is with a gun and a body bag, but if those aren't available, a good dose of facts and reality work well.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Stupidity is contagous. We've all had good experiences with different companies and bad experiences too. Fanboys just take this to extreme. Pay no mind, most don't have anything of value to contribute. I own it all, Intel, AMD, ATI and NVidia. they all work, i've had no problems. I've even got Rambus if you really want to get into it. Just do your research, if a part has a problem, someones going to post about it. If too many posts, don't buy it.

Welcome to the internet.

You're experiencing a phenomenom call "fan boys". Fan boys are somewhat like sports fans, except less testicles. They pick a company that they like, then boast about it on internet message boards, while berating it's competitor. It has nothing to do with the actual performance of the products, and everything to do with a lack of a social life, a damp parent's basement, and virginity. The best way to approach fan boys is with a gun and a body bag, but if those aren't available, a good dose of facts and reality work well.
:D

4745454b

Titan
ATI YEARS ago had issues with their drivers. Its been mostly fixed. (I do wish they had something like coolbits, and I wish CCC wasn't .net or a resource hog, but the cards are still good.) For the most part, I let my wallet, then motherboard, then os decide what to get.
Wallet picks what video card market I'm in. If I only got $100, I'm not going to bother looking at a 7950...
When I bought my newest system, I was going to get a NF4 sli motherboard, and I picked a 7900GT. When I bought the parts, I got a great deal on a Asus Crossfire motherboard. I didn't buy the 7900GT, but an X1800XT. Although it would have worked, I like to match SLI cards with SLI motherboards, and CF cards with CF motherboards.
Last is the OS. This is a none issue for most, as most people run windows. As toms pointed out, with newer Linux builds, there isn't much difference between ATI and nVidia. I you want newer drivers, or your running an older version of linux, then your better off with an nVidia card.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I prefer a rifle for the proverbial 10 foot pole.

At this exact moment I would prefer an ATI card just because the image quality. But, this might change a week from now considering the buyout.