Sign in with
Your question

Unhappy PSU?

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2006 5:59:55 PM

I recently built a computer out of spare parts and a AMD 64 3000+ that someone gave me with with several badly bent pins.

I used a pair of needle-nose and a credit card to straighten out the pins and put the rest together. I had several issues, but managed to get them all worked out except for one.

Most of the time, when I turn on the computer, it does not boot. PSU and optical drive turn on, but I don't get the boot beep and (obviously) no signal to the monitor.

If I push the reset button a second or two after the computer has failed to boot, it will boot up just fine. Once it boots, it works just fine. I don't have crashes or anything, even under load. Occassionally, the computer boots on power-on, but not usually. It almost always boots after one reset.

The PSU is just some crap PSU that came with the case. I know this is a bad idea, but like I said, it was just to be used as a spare computer hobbled together from spare parts.

Does an issue like I've described above sound like the PSU can't handle it, or do you feel it's more likely related to some type of CPU damage which causes it to not always post? I can't justify spending $100 or so on a PSU for this computer if I'm not reasonably sure that will fix it.

More about : unhappy psu

July 24, 2006 7:43:35 PM

Hmmm... Hard to say. If once you get it booted it never crashes even when under load, it would be hard to single out the PSU as the problem. What's the wattage rating on your current PSU, and what's the complete list of components are you using?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2006 8:03:44 PM

What kind of board? Are u running the latest bios? Some boards do weird stuff with crappy bios's

If it was the PSU.... it should be crashing under load. I am pointing at the board
Related resources
July 24, 2006 8:04:27 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... Hard to say. If once you get it booted it never crashes even when under load, it would be hard to single out the PSU as the problem. What's the wattage rating on your current PSU, and what's the complete list of components are you using?

Full list:

AMD 64 3000
2 GB PC 3200 memory
Radeon X1600Pro
A 16x NEC DVD drive
40 GB Western Digital Drive (I forget what kind specifically, but it is a 7200 rpm IDE drive)

The PSU shows to be 450 watts.

I also have a set of USB speakers that I use, but they are not powered by the supply and I get the issue with them plugged in or not.

It has not crashed while running even once in the 30 days or so that I've had it up. I forced it to play Oblivion for a few hours to see if I could get it to fail, and it kept on trucking. (Heat doesn't seem to be an issue. It doesn't get above 43C even after a few hours of heavy use. Though, I'm sure heat wasn't really a boot failure consideration).

Quote:
What kind of board?

It's a Gigabyte GA-K8NS. I have not flashed the bios because I had a terrible experience doing that on my last computer.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2006 8:05:35 PM

board? Company that made the PSU?
July 24, 2006 8:21:41 PM

Quote:
board? Company that made the PSU?

I edited in the board.

And I've no clue who made the PSU. It came with the case - 2 years ago.
July 24, 2006 8:46:14 PM

I had a similar issue with my notebook. It was doing the exact same thing, wouldn't boot up on cold start but then would after an immediate reset. I flashed my bios and it hasn't happened since.

I would try that if I were you, it sounds like the machine isn't that important to you, so if you have a bad experience again is it that big of a deal?
July 24, 2006 8:58:13 PM

Quote:
I had a similar issue with my notebook. It was doing the exact same thing, wouldn't boot up on cold start but then would after an immediate reset. I flashed my bios and it hasn't happened since.

I would try that if I were you, it sounds like the machine isn't that important to you, so if you have a bad experience again is it that big of a deal?

I'll give it a shot then. The real care that I have is that I'd have to hear "You killed another one??" I guess I can live with that.

Thank you for your assistance everyone.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2006 10:10:54 PM

and it is always a safe bet to flash from a CD or flash drive(usb stick) when u can....You dont want a bad flash cause of an old disk...

Good luck!
!