Subnets listed within AD Sites and Services, need help?

If I have some remote sites that do not have there own DC or GC does there
specific subnet need to be defined with AD Sites and Services? Presently we
have 4 DC\GC's in our setup and have 5 or so warehouse facilities that do not
have a DC or GC. We also have a speific subnet that is allocated for VPN
users. Does this subnet as well need to be defined within the the sugnets
folder within AD Sites and Services

"" wrote:
> If I have some remote sites that do not have there own DC or
> GC does there
> specific subnet need to be defined with AD Sites and Services?
> Presently we
> have 4 DCGC's in our setup and have 5 or so warehouse
> facilities that do not
> have a DC or GC. We also have a speific subnet that is
> allocated for VPN
> users. Does this subnet as well need to be defined within the
> the sugnets
> folder within AD Sites and Services

for clients, servers and services to find the nearest services, sites
and subnets are used in AD. If you have clients in a certain site
those clients need to know in what AD site they are in (this is
possible because of the site-subnets mappings) so they can consult the
nearest available service (when talking about nearest available
service think about authentication, LDAP, DFS) If a client on a
certain subnet that is not defiined in AD as a subnet and is not
mapped to a site the client will search for ANY DC that will respond
and that CAN be a very distant DC!

So for this to work OK you should:
* create AD sites that represent fast network locations (most of the
times these map to physical locations - but that is not mandatory)
* create an AD subnet for each physical subnet that contain clients
and servers
* Map the subnets in a certain location to the corresponsing AD sites

Althought those sites are DC-less the sites will be covered by the
site with DCs/GCs. This occurs through auto site coverage which is
enabled by default

Is this and answer to your question?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Subnets-listed-AD-Sites-Services-help-ftopict418518.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1397420

Yes, thank you very much!

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > If I have some remote sites that do not have there own DC or
> > GC does there
> > specific subnet need to be defined with AD Sites and Services?
> > Presently we
> > have 4 DCGC's in our setup and have 5 or so warehouse
> > facilities that do not
> > have a DC or GC. We also have a speific subnet that is
> > allocated for VPN
> > users. Does this subnet as well need to be defined within the
> > the sugnets
> > folder within AD Sites and Services
>
> for clients, servers and services to find the nearest services, sites
> and subnets are used in AD. If you have clients in a certain site
> those clients need to know in what AD site they are in (this is
> possible because of the site-subnets mappings) so they can consult the
> nearest available service (when talking about nearest available
> service think about authentication, LDAP, DFS) If a client on a
> certain subnet that is not defiined in AD as a subnet and is not
> mapped to a site the client will search for ANY DC that will respond
> and that CAN be a very distant DC!
>
> So for this to work OK you should:
> * create AD sites that represent fast network locations (most of the
> times these map to physical locations - but that is not mandatory)
> * create an AD subnet for each physical subnet that contain clients
> and servers
> * Map the subnets in a certain location to the corresponsing AD sites
>
> Althought those sites are DC-less the sites will be covered by the
> site with DCs/GCs. This occurs through auto site coverage which is
> enabled by default
>
> Is this and answer to your question?

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Subnets-listed-AD-Sites-Services-help-ftopict418518.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1397420

One last question. The sites I am referring to are DC-less and GC-less. Do
I really need to create separate sites for them or will subnet entries
suffice?