Unable to Join to a domain

Hi All,

In our network we have installed Windows NT Server 4.0 as PDC. All the
computers comes under this domain controller.
Computer Name : mainserver
Domain name: DOMAIN

Yesterday freshly I installed Windows 2000 Advanced server in the same
machine and I created Active directory.
Now the Computer Name: MAINSERVER
Domain Name: DOMAIN

I disjoin some of the nodes (running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation) from the
old domain.

And also I am able to join with the new domain from Windows NT 4.0
Workstation. But when I try to disjoin from the old domain (running Windows
2000 Professional) (by making client computer as part of workgroup not under
domain) it do so and displays a error that "No such domain exist to
disjoin".

When I try to join to domain by changing workgroup to domain it asks user
name and password (to create computer in domain - active directory), after
getting this it says there is no such network called DOMAIN (my domain
name).

Is there any solution

Thanks in advance
Anbazhagan
2 answers Last reply
More about unable join domain

    Do your Windows 2000 clients point to the same DNS as the Windows 2000 DC
    does?

    "Anbazhagan" <anbazhagan@ewaksoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In our network we have installed Windows NT Server 4.0 as PDC. All the
    > computers comes under this domain controller.
    > Computer Name : mainserver
    > Domain name: DOMAIN
    >
    > Yesterday freshly I installed Windows 2000 Advanced server in the same
    > machine and I created Active directory.
    > Now the Computer Name: MAINSERVER
    > Domain Name: DOMAIN
    >
    > I disjoin some of the nodes (running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation) from the
    > old domain.
    >
    > And also I am able to join with the new domain from Windows NT 4.0
    > Workstation. But when I try to disjoin from the old domain (running
    > Windows
    > 2000 Professional) (by making client computer as part of workgroup not
    > under
    > domain) it do so and displays a error that "No such domain exist to
    > disjoin".
    >
    > When I try to join to domain by changing workgroup to domain it asks user
    > name and password (to create computer in domain - active directory), after
    > getting this it says there is no such network called DOMAIN (my domain
    > name).
    >
    > Is there any solution
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Anbazhagan

    Sounds like a name-resolution issue to me. Check to make sure you're
    pulling DNS from the appropriate location and that there's no
    duplicatation happening.

    --
    skyshock21
    skyshock21's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4819

Domain Computers Windows NT Active Directory Windows