ATI loses bus license from Intel

ravynmagi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/24/ati_intel_bus_license/

This article states that Intel has pulled it's bus technology license from ATI.

I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what this means. The article says AMD expects Intel to stop ordering chipsets from ATI. But does this mean anything for chipsets like RD600? Is there anything to prevent motherboard manufactures such as ASUS from offering ATI chipsets on Intel platforms?

I guess there are a lot more questions than answers at the moment. Just curious if anyone had any ideas. :)

weilin

Distinguished
but amd still wishes the consumer to demand for ati products so that AMD can benefit from Intel's Core 2 Duo. So it would be in AMD's favor if Intel has to order more and more boards from ATI or should i say ATIMD

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Mark my words "AMD and ATIs days are numbered". An unmistakable turn in computing history is in the works. A shakeout is coming as a result of the poor economy and slow computer industry. Only the deep pockets and best-of-the-best will survive. Right now Intel and nVidia are the undisputed champs.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The problem arises when Intel has to give prototype chips to the chipset makers for testing. Intel doesn't want those chips in the hands of their direct competitor (AMD).

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Right now Intel and nVidia are the undisputed champs.

umm... undisputed? wow. champs of what?

Market share-wise I do believe that ati has a lead in the chipset market over Nv. (Tom's just had that in one of their articles this morning) They both trade blows in the rest of the graphics market segments (cant remember actual numbers there) and AMD has been chewing up intel's server market and even biting out desktop chunks (but will lose some of that w/ conroe)

so, undisputed? If the market %s or consumer demand have anything to do w/ that then I would say they are very much disputed... if they were to be declared champ at all... by anyone intelligent.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
The problem arises when Intel has to give prototype chips to the chipset makers for testing. Intel doesn't want those chips in the hands of their direct competitor (AMD).
Now that is a VERY good point. I would wager that ati will make some more current chipsets but be out of the loop for future revs.