Sign in with
Your question

Question about Kentsfield and Quad Core Processors

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2006 7:53:18 PM

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to quad core processors.. I am interested in making a new computer with either a 6700 or x6800 conroe processor.. I will do a lot gaming on my computer, internet browsing, programming /web development, and watching movies/tv.

What will a quad core (kentsfield) do better then say an x6800 extreme conroe? Will gaming be better with a quadcore or worse?? Please explain how this works. I have searched the forums some but never really get an exact answer.

Thanks.
July 24, 2006 9:28:43 PM

In the immediate future I dont think a QC proc because they will be launched(and continue to be) at least 2 speed grades behind the DC proc's and games are only starting to become multithreaded now and DC seems to be more than enough. With a QC chip that I imagine it'll be back to the video card bottlenecking once again.
July 24, 2006 10:41:47 PM

Quote:
I am a bit of a noob when it comes to quad core processors.. I am interested in making a new computer with either a 6700 or x6800 conroe processor.. I will do a lot gaming on my computer, internet browsing, programming /web development, and watching movies/tv.

What will a quad core (kentsfield) do better then say an x6800 extreme conroe? Will gaming be better with a quadcore or worse?? Please explain how this works. I have searched the forums some but never really get an exact answer.

Thanks.

I have to agree w/ K8MAN.
For your situation, DC is plenty for you. Gaming won't benefit that much and neither will any of those other things you mentioned.

Now if you were doing video encoding or photoshop or something, that would be a greater consideration, IMO.
Related resources
July 25, 2006 5:14:18 AM

thanks guys
July 25, 2006 8:02:03 AM

Quote:
thanks guys

No, no, thank YOU for helping my next bonus! I promise it will go towards the purchase of a C2D.
July 25, 2006 4:13:55 PM

good man.
!