Need to confirm 2003 Native mode won't break my Exchange s..

Hi All,

I have a 2003 AD Domain currenting running in Windows 2000 mixed mode.
The only DC's in this domain are Windows 2003 servers.

I have a Windows NT 4 Domain with external trusts set up with the 2003
Domain.

I have an Exchange 2003 server in the 2003 Domain hooked up to an Exchange
5.5 organizaton in the NT 4 Domain.
We are in the process of migrating mailboxes from the 5.5 server to the 2003
server.
Users login into the 2003 exchange server with their NT 4 domain accounts.

If I switch the AD to 2003 native, am I going to break the exchange logins?
I need 2003 to use the AD Migration Tool to start bringing users into the
AD.

All users are either 2000 Pro SP4 or XP Pro SP2 clients.

Based on what I've read, I don't think switching modes will cause any
problems, I just want to make on last check before I do this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Paul Landry

Paul Landry wrote:
(...)

> Based on what I've read, I don't think switching modes will cause any
> problems, I just want to make on last check before I do this.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.

No, it should not break Your environment.

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl

Thanks Tomasz.
It's always good to double-check this kind of stuff.

Paul

"Tomasz Onyszko" <T.Onyszko_nospam_@w2k.pl> wrote in message
> Paul Landry wrote:
> (...)
>

>> Based on what I've read, I don't think switching modes will cause any
>> problems, I just want to make on last check before I do this.
>>
>> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> No, it should not break Your environment.
>
> --
> Tomasz Onyszko
> http://www.w2k.pl

But test in your lab!

As Tomasz indicates this should be fine. The issues with the RUS and ADC in
Exchange 2000 in a K3 Forest Functional mode domain were corrected in Exchange 2003.

But again, always test one changes like this in your lab with your lob apps so
you have a good feeling yourself. You could have 3000 people in the newsgroups
tell you it is fine and some odd aspect of your environment causes some odd
problem. If you ask MS, they will almost never give you a "you will be perfectly
fine", they will say, you should be fine, there are no known issues, but test.

joe

www.joeware.net

Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
> But test in your lab!
>
> As Tomasz indicates this should be fine. The issues with the RUS and ADC
> in Exchange 2000 in a K3 Forest Functional mode domain were corrected in
> Exchange 2003.
>
> But again, always test one changes like this in your lab with your lob
> apps so you have a good feeling yourself. You could have 3000 people in
> the newsgroups tell you it is fine and some odd aspect of your
> environment causes some odd problem. If you ask MS, they will almost
> never give you a "you will be perfectly fine", they will say, you should
> be fine, there are no known issues, but test.

That's why I said "it should not break" - wise words joe, it's always
good to do some testing and good backup before making changes.

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl