Best way to install printers?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

What is the best way to install network printers to PCs, so that anyone who
logs in will have a specific default printer on a PC. We currently have
"Site" scripts that run at "user" login. The script compares the PC name
and adds the right printer.

Problem: This relies on PC names to be correct and we have people
accumulate printers in their profile as they roam about our buildings.
Plus, the script deal with 100's of printers and is slow.

I am considering consolidating PCs from common location to specific OUs then
using a GPO with "computer" logon script to install a specific printers for
all PCs with in an OU. I know that I can use the:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\PrinterServer\Printer"

But is this the best way?

All advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

try using kixtart (kixtaxt.org) for user login and then create a group
for each printer. Then you can add printers based on group at login.

nbullock wrote:
> What is the best way to install network printers to PCs, so that anyone who
> logs in will have a specific default printer on a PC. We currently have
> "Site" scripts that run at "user" login. The script compares the PC name
> and adds the right printer.
>
> Problem: This relies on PC names to be correct and we have people
> accumulate printers in their profile as they roam about our buildings.
> Plus, the script deal with 100's of printers and is slow.
>
> I am considering consolidating PCs from common location to specific OUs then
> using a GPO with "computer" logon script to install a specific printers for
> all PCs with in an OU. I know that I can use the:
>
> Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
> WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\PrinterServer\Printer"
>
> But is this the best way?
>
> All advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

try using kixtart (kixtart.org) for user login and then create a group

"" wrote:
> What is the best way to install network printers to PCs, so
> that anyone who
> logs in will have a specific default printer on a PC. We
> currently have
> "Site" scripts that run at "user" login. The script compares
> the PC name
> and adds the right printer.
>
> Problem: This relies on PC names to be correct and we have
> people
> accumulate printers in their profile as they roam about our
> buildings.
> Plus, the script deal with 100's of printers and is slow.
>
> I am considering consolidating PCs from common location to
> specific OUs then
> using a GPO with "computer" logon script to install a specific
> printers for
> all PCs with in an OU. I know that I can use the:
>
> Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
> WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection
> "\PrinterServerPrinter"
>
> But is this the best way?
>
> All advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Windows 2003 R2 provides a great solution for this! It is expected to
be introduced end 2005/begin 2006.

Read more at:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/312b10cb-73ec-40c7-a4df-63dd7248d93d1033.mspx

Search for "Deploying Printers to Users or Computers by using Group
Policy"

It might be worth the wait

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-install-printers-ftopict419014.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1399369

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

See if the info at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
helps.

I think of printers as being location or computer specific as opposed to use
specific so avoid doing printer things in logon scripts becuase you never
know what computer any given user might logon to.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing