X1950, X1950 Crossfire, and X1900 256mb coming soon.

Do you think it''s worth it to buy a card at this stage?

• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
According to Dailytech, another ATI refresh is coming with several new cards.
Synopsis:
These cards are at the very least, an X1950XTX, an X1950 Crossfire Edition, an X1900XT 256mb edition allowing it to fit under 300 bucks.
X1950s will have 512 megs of GDDR4 and higher clock speeds.

Haggard

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
It all depends on how bad you want a new card.

And remember, there is always something new on the horizon.
There comes a time when you just have to shoot.

With G80 and R600 on the horizon, getting an X1950XT would be a foolish idea.

Not playing games because your build is sitting there without a graphics card or with an inferior graphics card is equally foolish. The new cards are a MINIMUM 3+ months away. IT's not like they're right around the corner, so the purchase is as foolih as anyone buying a GF7900/X1900 the day before this launch.

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005

Not playing games because your build is sitting there without a graphics card or with an inferior graphics card is equally foolish. The new cards are a MINIMUM 3+ months away. IT's not like they're right around the corner, so the purchase is as foolih as anyone buying a GF7900/X1900 the day before this launch.

nVidia G80 is scheduled for September, just weeks after Radeon x1950XTX is expected to release at the end of August. So I'm not sure where you're getting this 3+ month figure from.

And buying a current gen. card before a refresh to that series is *significantly* different than buying DX9, SM3 hardware on the virge before DX10, SM4 hardware's release.

:roll:

nVidia G80 is scheduled for September, just weeks after Radeon x1950XTX is expected to release at the end of August. So I'm not sure where you're getting this 3+ month figure from.

Well probably the same place HY got his June/July G80 launch timeframe from. And you September launch is equally laughable. I say 3+ months, you say 1+ month, I bet I'm closer to the real date than you are.

And buying a current gen. card before a refresh to that series is *significantly* different than buying DX9, SM3 hardware on the virge before DX10, SM4 hardware's release.

:roll:

Only if it were on the 'verge' of release, which it isn't, and by your argument people will be sitting on the 'verge' of the pitch watching the launch of the G80, because why get the hybrid card, when just a month later you can get the fully unified R600.

Buying a current gen card makes as much sense as it did 2 weeks ago, if you were waiting for the G80/R600 then you will continue your summer of no gaming running on your previous hardware, if you're a smart short like many here, you'd buy now and then if by some magic nV pushes their timeline up to September (which ain't gonna happen) then you have only had it for these few weeks you speak of, same as any GF7950GX2 owner.

BTW, who do you think is bringing the G80 to market for this September launch, Santa or the Easter Bunny? :roll:

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005

Well probably the same place HY got his June/July G80 launch timeframe from. And you September launch is equally laughable. I say 3+ months, you say 1+ month, I bet I'm closer to the real date than you are.

Actually, September is straight from the horse's mouth, noted during a webcast nVidia held at the end of May. If you'd like, I can supply you with the transcript, courtesy of Geo.

While they stated September, they mentioned it would be done when it's done (as all developers do to ensure no dissapointment in the event of a delay). But as of now, I've seen nothing to indicate problems arising that would cause a significant delay past the end of November (as your 3+ figure would imply).

Only if it were on the 'verge' of release, which it isn't, and by your argument people will be sitting on the 'verge' of the pitch watching the launch of the G80, because why get the hybrid card, when just a month later you can get the fully unified R600.
I consider it to be "on the virge" when it's schedule puts it 2-3 weeks after another (who knows we don't see another "Yes, here's the x1950XTX, but it won't be released until the middle of September." Surely you remember that incident when R520 was supposed to launch on Oct. 5, then we got a surprise announcement on that day that it would be another 6 weeks). nVidia even specified that it would a "hard-launch" with G80.

Secondly, I don't believe you quite understand what a USA is or consists of. Or perhaps you've just been putting too much into your ATI PR FUD. While unified shaders shound exciting and revolutionary, the truth is we simply don't know how they will perform. But there are more unknown factors that could hinder such performance with a USA than there is with this "hybrid" design you speak of. First off, how will games support it? We know USA is supported by the DX10 api, but surely you'd realize that games out now are DX9 and will continue to be for the next few years. A USA is expensive and I'm not so optimistic it's going to exert the magnificent fireworks you seem to think will happen.

Buying a current gen card makes as much sense as it did 2 weeks ago, if you were waiting for the G80/R600 then you will continue your summer of no gaming running on your previous hardware, if you're a smart short like many here, you'd buy now and then if by some magic nV pushes their timeline up to September (which ain't gonna happen) then you have only had it for these few weeks you speak of, same as any GF7950GX2 owner.
The only reason G80 wouldn't launch in September is if there's an issue or problem that arises, that thus far hasn't been indicated (it would be known if it was that significant). In other words, we have every reason to believe nVidia is still on schedule with G80 for a September launch.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

And buying a 200 Watt video card isn't foolish? :p

If a 120 W prescott can heat up a room, just imagine what the R600 will do... or a 400W crossfire setup.

Your room will be transformed into a toaster oven. God forbid, you should also want a 4x4 FX setup with that.

\
Actually, September is straight from the horse's mouth, noted during a webcast nVidia held at the end of May. If you'd like, I can supply you with the transcript, courtesy of Geo.

Sure go ahead, because the tape out didn't occur 'til that time so a comment in May about an exact date would be pretty foolish since they didn't even have a chance to test the silicon yet. :roll:

While they stated September, they mentioned it would be done when it's done (as all developers do to ensure no dissapointment in the event of a delay).

Yeah, and that's what I said, but you stick by your Septemeber, and we'll see who's closer. My money is on an October launch since they can't get it to market for back to school period.

But as of now, I've seen nothing to indicate problems arising that would cause a significant delay past the end of November (as your 3+ figure would imply).

Mid November is the 3 mont period, and anyone buying opne card before the competition launches, truely just a few weeks later, is foolish. When the G80 & R600 launch they will be considerably more expensive than the X1950, and so if you want to buy first day that's fine, but regardless of performance, when the competition launches the first to market will drop like a stone in reaction.

I consider it to be "on the virge" when it's schedule puts it 2-3 weeks after another (who knows we don't see another "Yes, here's the x1950XTX, but it won't be released until the middle of September." Surely you remember that incident when R520 was supposed to launch on Oct. 5, then we got a surprise announcement on that day that it would be another 6 weeks).

Actually the R520 did launch on Oct 5th, your lack of understanding of that show your myopia. Or was there another chip that launched instead. Perhaps some focus on your part would help.

nVidia even specified that it would a "hard-launch" with G80.

Which is all the more reason to belive in the October/November time frame.

Secondly, I don't believe you quite understand what a USA is or consists of. Or perhaps you've just been putting too much into your ATI PR FUD. While unified shaders shound exciting and revolutionary, the truth is we simply don't know how they will perform. But there are more unknown factors that could hinder such performance with a USA than there is with this "hybrid" design you speak of.[/qutoe]

Yeah sure it's so revolutionary and forboding, I guess that's why it doesn't work in the R500. :roll:

First off, how will games support it? We know USA is supported by the DX10 api, but surely you'd realize that games out now are DX9 and will continue to be for the next few years. A USA is expensive and I'm not so optimistic it's going to exert the magnificent fireworks you seem to think will happen.

You obviously don't know much about the chip design as the dispatch will be handled by the chip, just like in the R500, no need for the API to be geared towards a unified shader, the chip still sees it as pixel/vertex calls. So tell me what's so complicated and unknown other than the performance deltas?

The only reason G80 wouldn't launch in September is if there's an issue or problem that arises, that thus far hasn't been indicated (it would be known if it was that significant).

Why would it be known, unless they miss target due dates for shipment whihc is in August for a September launch. They have only be able to have working silicon in the last few weeks, problems would be slow reaching the ears of the market, and likely we'd hear about a July dlay mid-august anyways.

In other words, we have every reason to believe nVidia is still on schedule with G80 for a September launch.

First of all who is this 'we'? Band of nV fanboi brothers?

As for your belief it's a September launch I'll believe it when I see it, because people like yourelf and HeyYou keep touting dates just on the horizone, and as June has come and gone without a launch, so will September, and if I'm wrong all the better for the marketplace, but it still doesn't change the fact of the X1950's actually launch date, and your hope for a launch date 'sometime in September'. You nail me down an exact date like we have for the X1950, and then I'll think your post is something more than FUD.

born2phrag

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Nah, I don't think it's worth it, with DX10 cards to be out soon. Of course unless you're not planning to upgrade to Vista anytime soon :wink:

4745454b

Titan
The x1950 cards might be nice. Not sure why there are being released. Yes to compete with the 7950 cards from Nvidia, but they are different cards. The 7950 has two GPUs, while the 1950 is the same as a 1900, but with DDR4 memory that is clocked a lot higher. It will be faster then the 1900, but will it be faster then a 7950? Doubt it. I would also imagine there are times where extra memory bandwith won't really make your games any faster, as either your res or GPU is holding it back.

I also don't understand why the 256Mb 1900 is needed. A good sub $300 card are the x1800s. I got my x1800XT (256MB) for ~$225. I would think a 512MB model would be high $200s. Would a 256MB x1900 be faster then a 512MB x1800xt? Guess its time to go looking for benchies...

It will be faster then the 1900, but will it be faster then a 7950? Doubt it. I would also imagine there are times where extra memory bandwith won't really make your games any faster, as either your res or GPU is holding it back.

Except for the fact that high res speed is related to bandwidth. The reality is that all they need to do is launch a card that's worth the money. The GF7950GX2 is 2 chips so more expensive to make, and as much as that is simply in order to have the crown, the X1950XTX makes as much sense.

The area where the GX2 excels and leaves everyone else behind is high resolution and high AA, adding more bandwidth to the X1950 makes alot of sense if their target is the GX2, especially for the top end where the GX2-SLi has a slightly higher benefit compared to the GX2 on it's own, both of which are unchallenged as top spot, but where there are areas of weakness that if ATi needs a product to tide them and their vendors over until the R600 launch, better to refresh and sell both the X1900XT/XTX and the X1950XT/XTX series.

We'll see, but really we're talking about Marquee, niche products that aren't about 'good sense'.

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
Sure go ahead, because the tape out didn't occur 'til that time so a comment in May about an exact date would be pretty foolish since they didn't even have a chance to test the silicon yet. :roll:

Right, because you obviously know more than nVidia does on the launch of their product. :roll:

Yeah, and that's what I said, but you stick by your Septemeber, and we'll see who's closer. My money is on an October launch since they can't get it to market for back to school period.
Woah, wait a minute. Just a day ago you were saying - "The new cards are a MINIMUM 3+ months away."

Hmm, let's see. 3 months from the end of August (x1950XTX launch) is the end of November - not October? So which is it? 3+ months minimum or October? :?

Mid November is the 3 mont period, and anyone buying opne card before the competition launches, truely just a few weeks later, is foolish. When the G80 & R600 launch they will be considerably more expensive than the X1950, and so if you want to buy first day that's fine, but regardless of performance, when the competition launches the first to market will drop like a stone in reaction.
First off, Radeon x1950XTX is set to launch, according to ATI, between Aug. 23-27. Three months after would be Nov. 23-27 - sorry to bust your bubble, but Nov. 15 is the middle of November.

Actually the R520 did launch on Oct 5th, your lack of understanding of that show your myopia. Or was there another chip that launched instead. Perhaps some focus on your part would help.
The Radeon x1800XT wasn't available until the first of November, despite being announced on Oct. 5. So I guess I consider "launch" as being available, whereas you must think it just means a mere announcement. So I can see how our difference in opinions would make this statement controversal (but I think more people would agree with me that a launch is when there's availability ;) ).

Which is all the more reason to belive in the October/November time frame.
Why? Geforce 7800GTX was available it's launch day. Heck, Geforce 7800GTX 512MB was available a week before it's launch. Yea, a few weeks later availability trickled down. Geforce 7900GTX hard-launched, too, though also had some availability problems a few weeks later, (though certainly not as bad as Geforce 7800GTX 512MB's.) Geforce 7950GX2 hard-launched and has been in good availability ever since.

So I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion. :?

Yeah sure it's so revolutionary and forboding, I guess that's why it doesn't work in the R500. :roll:
Lol, so I guess you'll be happy as long as it works (that's some mighty strong ATI loyality you have :p )

You obviously don't know much about the chip design as the dispatch will be handled by the chip, just like in the R500, no need for the API to be geared towards a unified shader, the chip still sees it as pixel/vertex calls. So tell me what's so complicated and unknown other than the performance deltas?
Well, for one, the arbitur units that tell a shader what to "be" in that moment can cause a bottleneck, with workloads literally waiting for the shaders to decide what to do. Secondly, you have the fact that a specialized shader will always be better fit than a generalized one, until the workloads in a game, between pixel and vertex work, can actually commensurate to the point where a USA would be advantageous. That's not the case, as you should obviously know.

Why would it be known, unless they miss target due dates for shipment whihc is in August for a September launch. They have only be able to have working silicon in the last few weeks, problems would be slow reaching the ears of the market, and likely we'd hear about a July dlay mid-august anyways.
Just like with R520, right? ;)

First of all who is this 'we'? Band of nV fanboi brothers?
Actually, the general population of well informed members on this subject. I take it you're not in that category? :cry:

As for your belief it's a September launch I'll believe it when I see it, because people like yourelf and HeyYou keep touting dates just on the horizone, and as June has come and gone without a launch, so will September, and if I'm wrong all the better for the marketplace, but it still doesn't change the fact of the X1950's actually launch date, and your hope for a launch date 'sometime in September'. You nail me down an exact date like we have for the X1950, and then I'll think your post is something more than FUD.
Well, first off, I actually was very critical of a June launch, noting it's impracticality.
And second off, fair enough about you believing September. But to throw out some 3+ figure (which you know have seemed to change) was quite futile.

*Gamer

Right, because you obviously know more than nVidia does on the launch of their product. :roll:

No, but I obviously know more than YOU which is what we're talking about here. You're saying nV has/had a set date for September when they hadn't even been able to test their design yet. So now YOU are saying that you know more than nV, because even nV didn't know what their fate was until they tested their part, so the assumptions you make (which are a giant leap from anything Geo would support you ascribing to him I'm sure) are the same as the people who 'knew' at the beginning of the year that these parts would be here this summer right after Vista launched, because both had due dates of the summer. Sound familiar? :roll:

Woah, wait a minute. Just a day ago you were saying - "The new cards are a MINIMUM 3+ months away."

Hmm, let's see. 3 months from the end of August (x1950XTX launch) is the end of November - not October? So which is it? 3+ months minimum or October? :?

Yes they are a minimum of 3+ months Away. 3 Months from today is the End of october, I didn't say 3 months after the launch of the X1950 next month. Perhaps if you were better at reading what people are saying instead of making up your own arguments, then you'd have less difficulty understanding what they're saying. Funny how you jump on thing yet can't focus on that one thing you jumped on. You wanna play semantics, then learn to actually quote the correct statement. There's a full stop period there, not relating that statement to anything else. Thus END OF OCTOBER, understand or do you need me to bring out a calander for you. This is why eVGA is still not a safe step-up option, simply because it wuld be outside the 90days, if they hit the late October target instead of the spring's optimistic Sept target.

First off, Radeon x1950XTX is set to launch, according to ATI, between Aug. 23-27. Three months after would be Nov. 23-27 - sorry to bust your bubble, but Nov. 15 is the middle of November.

Sorry to bust your bubble by folowing you down your own made up timelines, but mid November be it 1 week different or not is still outseid of my 3months statement, and really, anyone worrying about the X1950 versus waiting is pretty foolish to worry solely about products without launch dates, especially since this one will be far cheaper thanthe competition and something they can use, while the G80 is still a paper nothing without a launch date, so what's your point.

The Radeon x1800XT wasn't available until the first of November, despite being announced on Oct. 5. So I guess I consider "launch" as being available, whereas you must think it just means a mere announcement.

No actually it's your lack of knowledge of this industry despite your statement in the other thread of knowing so much more than me...

The R520, in the form of the X1800XL launched on Oct5 to wide availability, the same R520 with higher clocks and faster memory and bigger HSF was launched again as an X1800XT model. So the R520 did indeed launch on Oct5th, unless you have evidence otherwise. SO I guess we can put that one to rest with the knowledge that you were just plain wrong. No point in beating a dead horse, so, since you can't get your past right why even bother with your predictions of the future? :roll:

So I can see how our difference in opinions would make this statement controversal (but I think more people would agree with me that a launch is when there's availability ;) ).

Oh, but that's what I said now isn't it, the R520 WAS available on OCt5th, and I think everyone would agree that I was right and you were wrong, because once again you DIDN'T FAQin' READ what was said, and this time YOU chose the words. YOU said R520, not X1800XT, see I can read, perhaps you should get someone to help you.

Geforce 7950GX2 hard-launched and has been in good availability ever since.

GF7900GX2 didn't hard launch, and considering the availability of the R520 before launch just like some of nV's parts I guess that makes you doubly wrong.

Lol, so I guess you'll be happy as long as it works (that's some mighty strong ATI loyality you have :p )

Yep, that's usually all I look for in a computer part, that it works and is good bang for the buck, I don't look for salvation in my computer hardware/companies, unlike you obviously. :roll:

Well, for one, the arbitur units that tell a shader what to "be" in that moment can cause a bottleneck, with workloads literally waiting for the shaders to decide what to do.

Except being parrallel in nature and not assigned to a 'pipeline' anymore that delay is inconsequential, and will be nowhere near the delay caused by the ROPs.

Secondly, you have the fact that a specialized shader will always be better fit than a generalized one, until the workloads in a game, between pixel and vertex work, can actually commensurate to the point where a USA would be advantageous. That's not the case, as you should obviously know.

Yes, I do know but unlike you I see that as an added bonus to be added later and nearly irrelevant at the start which is why the G80 and R600 will be very close at the start, yet you see it as a dissadvanage which is far less proven, and speaks to your FUD mentality, the operationality of the unified design with unoptimized development had been shown with the X360 all of whose early games, have minimal optimization for it's unified design, one of the few titles to truely take advanatage has been Oblivion.

The benifits of unification have already been proven with emulation in DX9 hardware, once it's not emulated and done strictly in hardware then it's going to be faster still. Either way you're argument bears little weight on what you say, just FUd without even a logical backup.

Just like with R520, right? ;)

Well if that's your only defence to me saying you don't know jack, then let me end our discussion with , G80...just like the fx?

Well, first off, I actually was very critical of a June launch, noting it's impracticality.

I don't care man, scepticism is not what you're holding now. I have a feeling that both nV and ATi are going to bust their humps to get these new cards to market in time for people to put them on Xmas wish lists, but I'm not naive enough to believe a date picked in the spring (which you still haven't shown as being anything more than a guess).

And second off, fair enough about you believing September. But to throw out some 3+ figure (which you know have seemed to change) was quite futile.

Futile, nah, based on first revision silicon nV will be pushing very hard to get it within the month of september, more likely the month of October, and IMO, it's be the end of October, with ATi hiting the end of Novemeber, thus 3+ months from now. Your arguing aginst that with little more than your assumptions based on statements probably formulated before there was a tape-out let alone working silicon shows you've got nothing worthy to counter point.

Perhaps you should show Geo's comments, because I'd love to see the date in September he picked and not the Q3 statements Huang was making, and had been since the March conference calls.

C'mon give me an exact date that puts them on track for September something more recent, something that doesn't just refer to that early date and says they need to rush to meet it.

Or once again did you misread someone else's statements when using them as your tools for an argument? :roll:

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
No, but I obviously know more than YOU
That's what you like to think, right? ;)

You're saying nV has/had a set date for September when they hadn't even been able to test their design yet. So now YOU are saying that you know more than nV, because even nV didn't know what their fate was until they tested their part
No, in fact, I specifically said, "While they stated September, they mentioned it would be done when it's done (as all developers do to ensure no dissapointment in the event of a delay).

You're saying it's impossible for nVidia to have set a concrete date, and yet nobody is saying they have. September is the month they have planned to aim for, which is all I've stated.

No actually it's your lack of knowledge of this industry despite your statement in the other thread of knowing so much more than me...

The R520, in the form of the X1800XL launched on Oct5 to wide availability, the same R520 with higher clocks and faster memory and bigger HSF was launched again as an X1800XT model. So the R520 did indeed launch on Oct5th, unless you have evidence otherwise. SO I guess we can put that one to rest with the knowledge that you were just plain wrong. No point in beating a dead horse, so, since you can't get your past right why even bother with your predictions of the future? :roll:
R520 was Radeon x1800XT, which did not launch during it's Oct. 5 release date but instead a month later in Nov.
And instead, a slower clocked version, with lower memory, and a smaller HSF did launch on Oct. 5. I was perfectly right, you just spinned the facts around a little to present them in a way that was favorable to you.

Oh, but that's what I said now isn't it, the R520 WAS available on OCt5th, and I think everyone would agree that I was right and you were wrong, because once again you DIDN'T FAQin' READ what was said, and this time YOU chose the words. YOU said R520, not X1800XT, see I can read, perhaps you should get someone to help you.
R520 is X1800XT, which I presumed was common knowledge, but apprently not to you.

GF7900GX2 didn't hard launch, and considering the availability of the R520 before launch just like some of nV's parts I guess that makes you doubly wrong.
That's because the GF7900GX2 was OEM only. Again, common knowledge, but apparently not to you.

Everything else (aka G80 and R600) will be proved in time. Lol, that's all I can do at this point, and the fanboys will see what they want to.

But APE, let me be very clear in saying how you're more isolated than you think. The general concensus will always overturn the mere thoughs of a few fanboys here and there.

Anyways, peace.

*Gamer

No, but I obviously know more than YOU
That's what you like to think, right? ;)

That's what I now know, right? 8)
Let's do a qucik one sentence refresh there;
You say the R520 didn't launch until Oct5th, the R520 is the X1800 series, the X1800 XL launched on Oct5th, you were wrong but try and backpeddal. Simple mistake, but you defined the chip, and unless you 'know' something no one else does the R520 is the chip used in the X1800XL. So whatdaya know now Chump!?! :roll:

R520 is X1800XT, which I presumed was common knowledge, but apprently not to you.

And what's the X1800XL, a different chip?
Seem to remember it being an R520 as well. Seemed to not be just common knowledge but published fact, let's see what B3D says;
http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r520/

Wow you can even see the picture of the chip;
http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r520/index.php?p=09

Yep R520. Different revisions at launch, but the same chips. Imagine that, just like I said.

The rest of your 'common knowledge' statements pale in comparison.
By your own rules, you were blatantly wrong. No one forced you to say R520, you chose it yourself. You could've said X1800XT, but you're so smart you didn't. Common knowledge as an excuse is pretty lame, because common knowledge states that these chips are about 3 months off, no one knows for sure except those working for nV and even they only knew recently. And common knowledge sattes that you're right and I'm wrong, thus concludes a waste of two many minutes with you.

Everything else (aka G80 and R600) will be proved in time. Lol, that's all I can do at this point, and the fanboys will see what they want to.

So until then you don't know squat other than what you steal from members of other forums and try to pass off as your own without the knowledge to back up your statements.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
nVidia G80 is scheduled for September, just weeks after Radeon x1950XTX is expected to release at the end of August.

G80 will come out closer to the time of Windows Vista (in that case, it might never come out :lol: ) because (as far as I know), DX10 won't be supported by XP. Because the DX10 cards are back-compatible with DX9, it should (hopefuly) come out before Vista. Anyway, I'd rather wait a little longer and get a kick-ass product, instead of getting a mediocre product early.

If a 120 W prescott can heat up a planet

Global warming, anyone??

Your room will be transformed into a toaster oven.

Mmm... silicon for breakfast :lol:

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
That sounds like it could prove interesting.i'll check it out some more.

Dahak

EVGA NFR4-SLI READY MB
ACEPOWER 520WATT PSU
AMD 4400+ DUAL CORE S-939
NVIDIA 7800GT
WD 300GB HD 7200 RPM
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR