The future of 975X GRIM?

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I know there are enough threads out there about ATi/AMD, but this is more about 975X, through related to this morning's news.

What's going to happen when I buy my 975X motherboard, and there's a problem with Crossfire. I would assume AMD could just give Intel the finger, but I wanted to know if there's some sort of protection from that?

What does the future hold for existing Intel/Crossfire combos???

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
If you have a 975 Crossfire motherboard, all is good, why worry over it? :)

Why worry? Well, before I spend $$$$ on a xfire system -
Is the support going to be there (future drivers)?
for how long?
what kind of quality?

I'm building a system around the conroe this fall. And I was
planning on getting the SD600 chipset + ATI's S600 (dx10)
graphics board.

Still getting a conroe. But, it's wait and see about the ATI stuff.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
To think that the crux of a chipset's success is it's multi-GPU capability is misguided at best.

The only real benefit of a 975 versus 965 is the crossfire. 965 offers more USB ports, ICH8, and an improved memory controller.

So unless you have something to contribute next time, your cynicism is unwelcome.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
To think that the crux of a chipset's success is it's multi-GPU capability is misguided at best.

The only real benefit of a 975 versus 965 is the crossfire. 965 offers more USB ports, ICH8, and an improved memory controller.

So unless you have something to contribute next time, your cynicism is unwelcome.

I feel you rpain. It is lookign bad for high end gaming on Core 2. At least wth an ntel mobo. There aren't many 975X boards around and even fewer SLI nForce 5s.

Dell will have to make a deal with AMD now or they're screwed. Not for CPUs but for SLI/CrossFire chipsets. How many of those $10,000 machines will they sell without high end graphics?

Hopefully Xfire will still be supproted, but that would be a bad thing unless they come up with a GPU that surpasses R600 AND G80 AND has multi slot functionality.

Highly unlikely. You may end up with AMD soon just for the best GPUs.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
If you have a 975 Crossfire motherboard, all is good, why worry over it? :)

Why worry? Well, before I spend $$$$ on a xfire system -
Is the support going to be there (future drivers)?
for how long?
what kind of quality?

I'm building a system around the conroe this fall. And I was
planning on getting the SD600 chipset + ATI's S600 (dx10)
graphics board.

Still getting a conroe. But, it's wait and see about the ATI stuff.

I'm getting the ASUS P5W DH with a 7950 nVidia vid card, i guess i misunderstood the original post, i could care less about SLI or CF, since i will run the 7950 single card (which is internally SLI) and the Crossfire stuff i am not into at the moment lol so a 975 board like the ASUS P5W DH is perfect for me for now.

I also have no intentions of keeping this ASUS motherboard around for more than 18 months, i am sure something more powerful and nice will come out sooner or later.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Dell will have to make a deal with AMD now or they're screwed. Not for CPUs but for SLI/CrossFire chipsets. How many of those $10,000 machines will they sell without high end graphics?

That's a good point. VERY smart move by AMD, but that's my humble opinion. I'm excited about it. After all is said and done, AMD has bought themselves wiggle-room, and as any good strategist knows, options are as good as any well-laid plan. Plans are only as good as their versatility :)

ATi has a lot to offer AMD, including a wealth of knowledge about multi-core communication. AMD offers ATi manufacturing fabrication to which it just didn't have access. Let's hope they have enough working capital to keep things running, or a very neat trick up their sleeves.