Max Payne II, late review

Max Payne II - A late review

In keeping with my tradition of being a cheapskate, I bought Max Payne
well after the buzz died down and nabbed it for a paltry $20. This is
my late review.

There's a statistic floating around out there that by the time a child
is 18 he's seen 200,000 deaths on TV. If you include video games it's
a lot higher. If you've played Max Payne you can probably double the
number. This game is all about the killing. This is slow-mo,
bullet-pumping shotgun blast mayhem. The number of bad guys killed is
easily in the hundreds, maybe approaching 1000.

If you played the original Max Payne there's nothing new here. I
believe the whole excuse to make the game, and what makes it unique, is
the Bullet Time feature, shamelessly borrowed from the original Matrix
movie. This is where time slows down for everybody but our hero as he
dives and squeezes off a couple lethal shots from whatever cannon he's
holding at the moment. Bad guys die in a spectacular flopping ragdoll
motion you get to see over and over and over....

The plot takes up where the original leaves off, with Max's new love
interest Mona Sax the mystery, or is it pursuit? You guide Max as he
walks from one trigger to the next, popping caps into bad guys while he
uncovers clues along the way. Dirty Harry has nothing on Max. Max
kills more guys in the first level than all of Dirty Harry's movie
exploits combined. But hey, it's only a game.

A couple key elements make the game really worthwhile. First, there
are a few levels where Max and Mona switch places and you control the
ultra-hot ultra-cool vixen instead of Max. One relies upon the other
as you blast your way through buildings, providing cover fire for your
boyfriend. It's a neat twist and well done.

Secondly, the scene where you must protect Vinnie Gotnitti, goofball
gangster as he's trapped in a ... well, I won't give it away but it's
pretty damn funny. The voice acting of the Vinnie character is
extremely well done and really makes the whole game for me. This level
is worth the price of admission alone.

Also worth mentioning is the funhouse shootout. It's never all that
scary but it's well constructed and thought out.

The plot is OK, not as good as the first, but plausible. You can
largely ignore the whole plot if you like and just blast your way
through, but if you pay attention it's a little better. There are some
detailed plot elements that all link back together that you don't
notice until the 2nd or 3rd time you play, but overall it's well
constructed and a quality piece.

I think this game benefits from the console link to the PC. We're
seeing more and more games designed for console and/or PC at the same
time. Another example is Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay. Maybe the
PC versions are dumbed down a little, but overall the quality has gone
up. The voice acting and art are fantastic, and I have trouble
believing Max Payne II could be this polished on a budget designed
without console profit factored into the expenses. Gone are the days
where the programmers also voice the script, and I'm glad. Max Payne
II had some talented people working on it and it shows.

Overall though, the game is short. Some replay value is added by
unlocking difficulty levels progressively but in reality it's just more
of the same thing over and over. Luckily the thing you do over and
over is worth it. Also once you finish the most difficult level be
sure to watch for the alternate ending.

My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.

It was a great game. Short, but sweet.

--
Remove nospam to email

Inlaw Biker wrote:
> My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.

Most definately. I just finished it a couple of months ago for the
first time. There were a couple sections I didn't care for - the last
area before the final fight in particular - but overall it was a blast
while it lasted. It's just a shame there wasn't more but it's a great
game when it leaves you wanting more.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: xtc - 02 - helicopter.mp3

x-no-archive: yes

Inlaw Biker wrote:

<snip>

pc games are not only the just released but a extensive library
of hundreds and hundreds of great titles some of them classics
lets not forget pc games have an history or over 10 years

older titles are totally worthy of buying playing and making a
review like you did!

thanks for your review! and please do it again with a pc game
of your choice!

and btw please don't feel diminished in anyway for buying a
pc game with a low price
for me 20 bucks is what every pc game should cost but for that
to happen we must kill piracy and promote and protect pc games!

> My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.

buy and don't lend to anyone!
each copy is personal!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"Inlaw Biker" <gmonsquared@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> Max Payne II - A late review
>
> In keeping with my tradition of being a cheapskate, I bought Max Payne
> well after the buzz died down and nabbed it for a paltry $20. This is
> my late review.

Great review. I just picked up MP2 actually, for a song. Should be on my to
play list soon.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

I loved this game, and I got it for $39 not too long after it came out.
One of the best PC games I ever played, and one of the few I actually
finished 3 times without referring to any walkthroughs.

I think the graphics in the game are excellent, and the voices are
pretty well done. I liked especially when you switch characters and get
to hear both halves of a conversation, each one from Max and Mona as
you work through levels with each character. I also thought the
"running through the burning building" part was visually excellent,
even if brief.

"Inlaw Biker" <gmonsquared@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Max Payne II - A late review
>
> In keeping with my tradition of being a cheapskate, I bought Max Payne
> well after the buzz died down and nabbed it for a paltry $20. This is
> my late review.

Later than you think. It's been at the $20 for just about a year now (USA).

> [...]
> time. Another example is Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay. Maybe the
> PC versions are dumbed down a little, but overall the quality has gone
> up. The voice acting and art are fantastic, and I have trouble
> believing Max Payne II could be this polished on a budget designed
> without console profit factored into the expenses. Gone are the days
> where the programmers also voice the script, and I'm glad. Max Payne
> II had some talented people working on it and it shows.
>
> Overall though, the game is short. Some replay value is added by
> unlocking difficulty levels progressively but in reality it's just more
> of the same thing over and over. Luckily the thing you do over and
> over is worth it. Also once you finish the most difficult level be
> sure to watch for the alternate ending.
>
> My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.

Well worth the $20. I wouldn't want to see all games become like this one,
but it was fun as an original. Very polished. One thing that stands out is
that gritty haunting feeling like you get from the game. A little cheezy at
times, but mostly well done. I don't think they came close to sales goals.

I borrowed it from my friend so bite mine.

--
Remove nospam to email
"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.
>
> buy and don't lend to anyone!
> each copy is personal!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

"Inlaw Biker" <gmonsquared@yahoo.com> thought that a good way to
threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> Overall though, the game is short. Some replay value is added by
> unlocking difficulty levels progressively but in reality it's just
> more of the same thing over and over. Luckily the thing you do
> over and over is worth it. Also once you finish the most
> difficult level be sure to watch for the alternate ending.

Give Dead Man Walking mode a try. You are placed in a small arena
with spawn points for enemies and some weapons lying about. The
object is to stay alive as long as possible, which is made
increasingly difficult by enemies that respawn faster and faster. By
about the 4 minute mark, you are pretty much in constant bullet time
mowing down an enemy every few seconds. My record is somewhere around
7 minutes.

When I'm looking for a quick way to blow off some steam, there's no
cooler option for sheer mass carnage.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

agh

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

"Inlaw Biker" <gmonsquared@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Max Payne II - A late review
>
> The plot is OK, not as good as the first, but plausible. You can

Interesting. I found the plot of the first game to be boringly presented and
therefore not so well connected to the game. The levels are longer there,
with much more shooting and much less storytelling. MP2 has a perfect mix
of those and the presentation of the story (clips, voice-acting, music..) is
stunning. I finished the game a couple of times and the presentation always
moves me.

Thanks for the Review.

I never actally finished the game. It was a PAIN, i got so bared
playing it. Just decided to uninstall it and forget it :(

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:06:38 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
wrote:

>It was a great game. Short, but sweet.

"Inlaw Biker" <gmonsquared@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> My advice is for $20, definitely buy this game.

I got Max Payne 2 as a gift not long after it first came out. It did stick
to the original formula, but I considered that to be a good thing and
enjoyed playing through it. This is definitely one of the better third
person action games out there. I liked the original game a bit more, but
that was mainly because of the feeling of deja vu that I got from the second
game.

x-no-archive: yes

Doug wrote:

<snip self confessed thief glorifying his crimes>

scum pirate you will pay! just wait!