Sign in with
Your question

I could really use your help - 1st build ever, Conroe

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2006 9:20:32 PM

Hi,

I’ve been waiting for months now for Conroe to come out so I can finally build my first high-end PC for an average price tag. Six months ago you would have paid double the price for half the performance. It’s really an exciting time and I hope everyone is just as AMPED as I am.

I could REALLY use your help. I’m nervous about pulling the trigger and purchasing all these components in one go. The last thing I need is to have compatibility issues/bottlenecks that could have been avoided in advance by doing my homework. This is my first build ever so it’s quite a big step. Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated. I love the forums, and you guys are great – thanks in advance for all your help.

One thing to note: If you agree or disagree with a specific component or make another recommendation, please state the reason clearly. Helps me and the other newbies understand why.

Also, constraints:
-budget of around $1700
-would like to ensure a future upgrade path to Kentsfield and DX10 compatible video cards.
-I might want to overclock a year from now when I figure out how. Thanks!

The build:

Case - Antec Performance One P180B Mid-Tower ($113)
http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

PSU - Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 550W ($98 )

Mobo – Asus P5W DH Deluxe ($242)

Processor – Conroe E6600 ($363)

RAM - OCZ Platinum Revision 2, 2GB, DDR2 800 - Retail ($195)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Video Card - MSI RX1900XT-VT2D512E Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail ($287)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Hard Drive – Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB ($95 at NewEgg)

DVD ROM - Lite-On SHM-165H6S Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer ($41)

Monitor - ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor ($263)

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite Mac/Win PS2/USB (already own)

07/25/06 - $1629
07/26/06 - $1639
07/27/06 - $1669
07/28/06 - $1707
07/31/06 - $1712
08/03/06 - $1581 (changed video card)
08/04/06 - $1532
08/08/06 - $1698 (switched back to the x1900xt at NewEgg)
08/09/06 - $1755 (added Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Heatsink)
08/11/06 - $1697 (removed HSF after seeing performance without OC, save that for another day)

More about : 1st build conroe

July 24, 2006 10:04:51 PM

Everything looks good except the ram and the video card.

You said you wanted to overclock in the future, so I think it would be in best interest to get good ram, from a well known company ex. Corsair DDR2 800 CAS 5 or you could always go CAS4 for 100 bucks more.

Also, I was originally planning on getting the x1900xt with my conroe build, but then I heard about the x1950xtx. It has gddr4, is cooler, quieter and looks sweet! X1950XTX

Other than that it looks good, but you might also want to consider getting a better heatsink/fan, but those possibilities are endless.[/quote]
July 24, 2006 10:12:44 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The RAM choice came from the Anandtech article - feeding the monster: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=19

If you want the absolute top performance in DDR2 you should still choose from the High-Performance group, but Value DDR2 on Conroe is shaping up to be remarkable in performance. Unless you have to have the absolute best, you can save $200 to $300 by buying one of these value DDR2 2GB kits instead. The Wintec AMPX 3AXD2675-1G2S-R and AData Vitesta ELJKD1A16K both stood out in this group by providing slightly better timings and/or slightly lower voltages than the others. They also cost $147 and $144 for a 2GB kit. ANY of the seven memories in this value roundup that are based on Elpida chips should perform similarly. We were not as impressed with Infineon chip value memory. The Infineon did mange lower voltages than the Elpida DIMMs, but at the price of slower memory timings. There is also the PQI PQI25400-2GDB memory, which at $117 with rebate is the cheapest we tested. It required a bit more voltage to reach the timings of the other Elpida value DIMMs, but if price is your guiding light $117 for 2GB of DDR2 that will do DDR2-800 is a steal.
Related resources
July 24, 2006 10:16:00 PM

On the issue of the x1950xtx - how much is this card expected to cost? It's probably going to be in the $500+ range which would be a 40% increase in price, and probably with a 25% increase in performance (totally guessing these figures - no real data, just gut feeling). Either way, it's going to be expensive.

Are these cards DirectX 10 compatible because perhaps that could justify the cost?
July 24, 2006 10:21:37 PM

The x1950xtx is not DX10 compatable. Any more input on the build anyone?
July 25, 2006 1:50:59 AM

Quote:

No current video card is compatable with DX10.

I agree with floge, buy better quality memory. You won't be sorry by doing that. Value memory DOES NOT overclock well, and it never will.
July 25, 2006 3:46:51 AM

that ram you have their isnt anything you would want. get some g skill or team xtreem ddr2 667 they both have the micron d9 chips ive got my gskill on a p5w dh up to 1200mhz. at 2.3 and for the video card id opt for a 7600gt because dx10 is just around the corner. and that psu isnt looking too good, try a seasonic s12 600 or ocz gamexstream. and all i can say about the case is great other than the fact its hard to work in. i had to switch mine to a cm stacker stc-t01 which you can get for 125 at zzf. :lol: 
July 25, 2006 4:47:16 AM

excuse me, maybe i can give a sound piece of advice.

do NOT purchase all your parts from separate retailers.

first off, you're not gonna get your stuff at the same time. maybe one retail sends it the next day, maybe one sends it 2 weeks later. you can never be to sure. imagine having all your parts except one... say the motherboard. it will be death! knowing that you have almost everything but are waiting on just one measly part! i'll tell you, it's not goin to be pretty.

secondly, imagine having to RMA some parts, the mess the mess the MESS! save yourself some time and heartache and buy all your stuff from one place... two if you absolutely must, but one is preferred.

newegg is always the best choice cuz you order on sunday and EVERYTHING gets to your place at wednesday or thursday at the latest. that's what i call speed. i hear zipzoomfly and tigerdirect are pretty good too.

but anyway, what you do is up to you. however i'm in teh same boat and will be buying a $2000 system that i've been planning for a while as soon as newegg or zipzoom gets some conroes in.

:D 
July 25, 2006 5:37:02 AM

Ram, never heard of the brand so I would go with OCZ or Corsair XMS. I agree with the seperate retailer opinion, I go with newegg, its just a suggestion.

Almost all current cards you would want to buy are DX10 compatible, but none are DX10 optimized. In response to the X1950XTX I would just wait for the official DX10 cards to come out. Shelling out a speculated big wad of cash for something that will be overtaken by official DX10 cards in half a year is in my opinion foolish. Go with a X1900XT or 7900GT.
July 25, 2006 6:51:43 AM

Your case and power supply selections are poor values, I'd pick a sub-$90 case from Cooler Master and a sub-$80 power supply from Fortron Source.
July 25, 2006 1:41:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Much apprecited. FYI: I went into a CompUSA last night and checked out the ViewSonic VX2025WM Black/Silver 20.1" LCD Monitor.

I didnt like it! I would definately go with the 19"" one, the Viewsonic VP930. The 20"" really stretches the images, and gives you the false impression that it's actually smaller due to the short height of it. A definate no go. Would be good for watching movies though, but for gaming, uh no!

I'll definately look into getting better RAM, and try narrow it down to a few suppliers. Maybe you could even call them and ask for a discount if you purchase all parts from one supplier.

One question I did have - what's up with the negativity towards the PSU and case. I checked the reviews, and everything I saw was extremely positive. Is it a question of price? Forking out some cash for a good case and PSU isnt such a bad idea, because I'll keep it for future upgrades. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Thanks! :lol: 
July 25, 2006 2:36:04 PM

I have the Viewsonic VX2025wm - and I <3 it. Never going back to a 4:3 display again, widescreen is where it's at. If your application supports 16:10 resolutions, then you won't get the stretching. BF2 looks incredible on it, as does WoW, Guild Wars, UT2004, FEAR, Prey, etc.

The P180 is nice, will keep everything cool, but it's heavy and doesn't show off your parts. And it has some PSU compatibility issues. The Antec PSU you chose is ok, but it's not worth the money. I bought the Lian Li PC-60 Plus II in black and it's awesome. Looks incredible and very sturdy. For the PSU, I bought the Hiper Type-R 580W PSU. It's modular, so you can remove the cables you don't need - really tidies up your cabling.

Everything else looks pretty good, except for maybe the video card. I would suggest a 7600GT or X1800GTO. They're pretty good midrange cards that will drive 1680 x 1050 pretty well, and they would save you money when you want to upgrade to a shiny new DX10 card when the come out next year.
July 25, 2006 2:47:11 PM

The 7600GT card is not a bad idea. I just checked prices, and you can get a PNY GeForce 7600 GT Video Card for about $156. That will save me about $140. I can invest that into a newer card next year, maybe in Q3. Do you think it will run Black and White 2. Might be a little dogey?
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCOD...
July 25, 2006 2:53:11 PM

Quote:

No current video card is compatable with DX10.

I agree with floge, buy better quality memory. You won't be sorry by doing that. Value memory DOES NOT overclock well, and it never will.

anyone commenting on how shittiy value ram is should take a very close look at this, especially the price points...

Quote:
The Value DDR2 tests comparing seven 2GB DDR2 kits at less than $200 provided quite a few surprises. ALL of the seven brands reached DDR2-800 with a voltage increase to around 2.2V. This performance was a complete surprise for DDR2 memory kits rated at DDR-533 or DDR2-667. Most of the value kits also reached DDR2-800 memory timings of 4-3-3. This is only slightly slower than our High-Performance DDR2 group at DDR2-800 3-3-3. This means performance of this group is almost exactly the same at DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 as the High-Performance DDR2 - at less than half the price! We will have additional Conroe performance test results from this group in a future article.

Anandtech

for the price of value ram and how expensive the ddr-800 ram is, value ram is a very good deal here....
July 25, 2006 2:56:47 PM

I got a 2GB kit of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-12 for $150. Terrific RAM. That's value, right there. And Intel is a little less sensitive to timings than Intels, so you should be able to get more performance out of them. Specs are solid other than the timings.

They don't overclock well at all, I'm pretty sure that's what's keeping me at 2100MHz on my X2 3800+, but I don't really care. But, your milage may vary. And Corsair is a better brand than A-Data...
July 25, 2006 3:00:15 PM

Guys,

I've also seen some great posts on THG with people identifying basement bargains on certain components. If anyone sees any of my components at rock bottom prices, PLEASE MENTION IT! I would really appreciate it. Buy yours first and then let the community know. It helps us all.
July 25, 2006 3:56:08 PM

im not an expert on ram...so i cant comment much.

good choice in psu, modular is the best!!!

as to video card, i wouldnt recommed x1950- its just gonna be obsolete for dx10. id have to go for x1800 series IF you are going first gen of dx10. if you are going to wait until this time next year mab the x1900 series would do better as it will run a dx9 stuff at max for ever where as the x1800 would be stressed running huge resoulution on somehting like oblivion.

id go with the x1800- you can save the money and leave it in the bank for a nice dx10.
July 25, 2006 4:23:17 PM

I actually found a good article on RAM: OCZ EL PC2-8000 XTC: Low Latency PLUS DDR2-1100.
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2732

It's $220 at NewEgg.

Anandtech: OCZ EL PC2-8000 is the best performing DDR2 memory ever tested at AnandTech. We expect to receive memory from competitors based on the new Micron chips in the near future. It may be similarly impressive, but OCZ is the first to bring these new Micron DDR2 chips to market. We are pleased to award OCZ EL PC2-8000 XTC our Gold Editor's Choice for the best performing DDR2 memory you can currently buy. This memory provides the lowest DDR2 memory timings possible to DDR2-533. The memory is rated at DDR2-1000 and provides exceptional performance all the way to DDR2-1100 at the fastest timings and lowest latencies seen in any DDR2 memory. OCZ EL PC2-8000 XTC is a very welcome addition to the Memory Market.
July 25, 2006 4:27:10 PM

Is this the CAS4 memory you indicated would be the "best" (or better) for the conroe chip? Its not buffered

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Features EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles) and also SLI certified

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

I am considering building a new rig as well, want to choose the best regardless of price. :) 

- Preecher
July 25, 2006 4:30:23 PM

Quote:
I am considering building a new rig as well, want to choose the best regardless of price. :) 

In that case...

w00t
July 25, 2006 4:41:05 PM

If you go on Newegg.com and read all the user comments for this PSU (Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550), you will find commentary indicating that this PSU has problems with ASUS motherboards. It doesn't seem to have any problems with any other MBs though.
July 25, 2006 4:52:36 PM

@manhumpingmountaindewmachineavatar

The memory doesn't overclock well? Really? Curses, I was thinking about it for a OC build. Damn it, Corsair! With your good deals you lure us in and then surprise us with low OC potential; curse you!

I was thinking about OCZ, but it has some issues with DDR2. Hey, if price does not matter at all, go with the Corsair at 8500...

I still cannot find a 2GB of resonably priced memory that has overclocking potential and will work perfectly with AM2....

~Ibrahim~
July 25, 2006 5:01:03 PM

Well, you never stated what you will be using this PC for.

With all the money your spending why not get at least 2 hard drives? One for your OS- where is it on your list? And one for storage.
July 25, 2006 5:21:50 PM

I'm going to be using the PC for gaming and some office related work, but 80% for gaming. I'll be using XP for now, and punch it up to Vista next year. Also, the 320gb Barracuda will serve me will for now. I'll upgrade to the Raptor next year when prices come down and I need additional storage. I'll then put my OS on the Raptor, and keep the Barracuda for storage.

What do you think? :lol: 
July 25, 2006 5:25:36 PM

GOSH - you we're right about the PSU. Should I switch to the TPII ?????

-Stay Away From Asus Motherboards with this PSU

Pros: Excellent Build Quality, very quiet and should be able to put out a good amount of power. The Modular cables are very nicely done....

Cons: If you're planning on using this with a high end Asus motherboard just don't. I got this with a P5WD2-E Premium and it took me a good deal of switching out parts to find out that this was the issues. ... More »
I've tried 2 of these with the same problem. Also if you look online it seems other people have problems w/ this psu and other high end Asus boards. just something to consider before buying.
July 25, 2006 5:31:13 PM

I got this from the Antec website regarding the ASU issue and the NeoHE 550:

Are there compatibility issues between ASUS motherboards and Neo HE power supplies?

We have received multiple reports of such issues, and ASUS and Antec technical teams have been able to confirm the existence of a random problem. If you believe you have encountered this incompatibility, please do the following:
1. Update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version. This step solves the incompatibility problem in a majority of cases.
2. If you have successfully updated your BIOS and still encounter the compatibility issue, please contact Antec Customer Support for a replacement power supply unit that has implemented a fix for the "ASUS motherboard problem."
July 25, 2006 5:34:04 PM

Well, at least they confirmed it. This, though, would give me cause to steer clear of either the motherboard or the PSU - meaning that if you are dead set at getting one, avoid the other
July 25, 2006 5:37:49 PM

Update on Antec NeoHE 550 PSU:

I called Antec and they said that any PSU manufactured after Dec 2005 will be good to go with an ASUS board. Serial number must start with 0512 to be compatible. The NeoHe will most probably work. YAY!
July 25, 2006 5:52:38 PM

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who has yet to build a system with the Asus P5W DH in an Antec P180 case?

I read in a THG review of the Antec case that the fans don't connect to the mobo, but to the PSU. This means that the nifty fan regulating software you get with the Asus mobo can't control the fans.

Is there an easy workaround to this?
July 25, 2006 5:54:01 PM

Excellent point! Can anyone help on this? Thanks for the good question.
July 25, 2006 5:58:09 PM

A Google search revealed someone who has:
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:vd3NPt29na4J:www.xt...)&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

Intel Pentium D 930 @ 4.5 GHz|Mushkin XP2-6400 (4-4-3-10)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe (i975x)|EVGA 7950 GX2|Samsung SyncMaster 214T
WD Raptor 74GB HD(x2)|Pioneer-711B5PK|Auzentech HDA X-Plosion|Klipsch
ProMedia Ultra 2.0|FSP FX700-GLN|Antec P180 B|Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
July 25, 2006 7:44:11 PM

So guys,

We've closed the loop on the PSU issue. To conclude the RAM debate - I think I'm going to go with the pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail), after reading through the Anand article. Good value DDR2 that's cheap and can be OC to DDR2800 when I figure out how. Also has a $40 rebate.

Any other thoughts before I click BUY! Woohoooooo.
July 25, 2006 9:48:24 PM

The P180 is a great case, with the ability to place the psu and hard drives in the lower section of the case you can drastically lower the ambient temperature around the mb and cpu. My last build I used the p180 and the neo550 on an asus P5N32-SLI with a Pentium D930, and with mild polishing on the stock heatsink, temp's register at 16C. I checked that temp 3 times with a thermal probe, and a laser thermometer and to my supprise it was correct. Problems I had with the case are as follows:
1. The 4pin 12v cable needed to stretch quite a ways to reach the connection at the top of the mb, the SLI setup took up all the slack. Barely worked.
2. The psu wires were very cramped in the bottom, specifically infront of the large 120mm fan for the psu, looks cramped but there is simply not enough room to clean up the wires. Hate to see what a PSU without cable management would look like in there.
3. The VGA duct was pretty much worthless with my build. When I put an 80mm fan in the duct, the fan protruded about half an inch past the outside of the duct, which created clearance issues with my video cards(7800gt). It's hard to describe but put simply, it would not work, so I ditched the duct and left it out completely. Video cards ran about 33-34C on the GPU(idle).
This case can be difficult to work with if your used to working on a standard atx, but once the build is done it's quite nice. Low noise, low temps, easy access to filters, very much open space around mb and components. I was pleased with both the PSU and the Case.

The issue with the fans is this. It is an Antec TRI-Cool fan which has a 3 way switch, High/Med/Low, connected to the fan via a 2 inch wire. Then you have the power connection which is a standard 4pin to the psu, and last you have a one wire connection for the mb that tells how many rpm's the fan is turning. If you want to be able to control the speed of the fan by software you will have to get a fan that is not a tri-cool, one with a 3pin power connector that you can plug directly to the motherboard. Most all of Antec's fans are 3pin now except for the tri-cool. You can't easily undo the tri-cool's regulation switch unless you wanted to cut the switch off and try to run the wires to 3pin connector which is too much work. The easiest thing is to just buy 3 new fans, but I actually used the tri-cool fans, just set them to medium where the noise was low and it worked well. Think I had to buy one for the front though, as it wasnt included. Fan regulation software is a bit overrated IMO but hey, its your comp, you'll just have to buy 3 new fans. Good luck on the build.
July 25, 2006 10:13:03 PM

Just the opposite, a P180 should work better upside-down. Look at the thermodynamics
July 25, 2006 11:33:07 PM

Quote:

The issue with the fans is this. It is an Antec TRI-Cool fan which has a 3 way switch, High/Med/Low, connected to the fan via a 2 inch wire. Then you have the power connection which is a standard 4pin to the psu, and last you have a one wire connection for the mb that tells how many rpm's the fan is turning. If you want to be able to control the speed of the fan by software you will have to get a fan that is not a tri-cool, one with a 3pin power connector that you can plug directly to the motherboard. Most all of Antec's fans are 3pin now except for the tri-cool. You can't easily undo the tri-cool's regulation switch unless you wanted to cut the switch off and try to run the wires to 3pin connector which is too much work. The easiest thing is to just buy 3 new fans, but I actually used the tri-cool fans, just set them to medium where the noise was low and it worked well. Think I had to buy one for the front though, as it wasnt included. Fan regulation software is a bit overrated IMO but hey, its your comp, you'll just have to buy 3 new fans. Good luck on the build.

Now THAT'S what I call a good reply! Thanks a million for the info on the fan situation. I've been going back and forth choosing between the Antec P180 and the Thermaltake Armor. Both cases have their pros and cons, but I finally decided on the P180...and then I read about the fan issue. I got really dissapointed until I read your post here. So now I'm almost 100 % sure (again) it's the P180 for me.

My specs so far:

PART I - Parts that are set in STONE

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX (new and improved model!)
MOBO: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
PSU: Seasonic S-12 600W (for those of you preferring the Antec, check out THG stress test on PSU's...the Seasonic is solid as a ROCK)
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5
HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB SATA2
SOUNDCARD: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
DVD: NEC ND-3550 (Not really important so I chose a brand that's been solid for the past couple of years)

PART II - Parts still undecided

VGA:
Asus GeForce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3, 650/1600MHz (since the mobo doesn't support the 7950GTX I'm sticking to this one)

or

Asus Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 (the mobo supports xFire but the performance on this doesn't match SLI and then we have the cooling issue - the 1900XTX is NOISY!)

CASE:
Antec P180 (clean design, quiet...however the fans need to be replaced for mobo fan control)

or

Thermaltake Armor (pimped out design, great room for just about everything, good cooling possibilities, but how noisy is it & what about fan controls on the mobo? the case uses ADDA fans which seem to have a 3-pin signal connector that ought to do the trick )

CASE Fans:

Papst 4412FGL 120x120x25 55.3cfm 1600rpm +/- 10% 26dBA 3pin

or

Nexus 120mm Real Silent

Now for the BIG question:

Has anyone tried to combine the Asus P5W DH mobo with a 7950GTX graphics board AND gotten both GPU's to run? I seem to remember someone on xtremesystems.org posting something about running the two together but can't find the post anymore.
July 25, 2006 11:55:44 PM

It was a good reply; you can't beat first-hand experience. Oh, sh!t. Are all of those things set in hard stone or is it like talc?

I think you would be much better off using two Seagate Perpendicular 7200.10 320GB of these in RAID, as they are a good bit faster than other 7.2k drives.

There is new Gigabyte board that supports Quad-Core and Quad-Core CPU...Just saying, this is more of a idea than a suggestion.

Well, I have this burner and it is amazing. Burns nearly everything under the sun and it does it quickly.

X1950XTX comes out August 7th and it has 512MB GDDR4 memory at 2.0Ghz, 650+ Core Clock, and best of all : NEW COOLER!

Check it out:

Just a few suggestions..

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 12:30:06 AM

Quote:
It was a good reply; you can't beat first-hand experience. Oh, sh!t. Are all of those things set in hard stone or is it like talc?

I think you would be much better off using two Seagate Perpendicular 7200.10 320GB of these in RAID, as they are a good bit faster than other 7.2k drives.

There is new Gigabyte board that supports Quad-Core and Quad-Core CPU...Just saying, this is more of a idea than a suggestion.

Well, I have this burner and it is amazing. Burns nearly everything under the sun and it does it quickly.

X1950XTX comes out August 7th and it has 512MB GDDR4 memory at 2.0Ghz, 650+ Core Clock, and best of all : NEW COOLER!

Check it out:

Just a few suggestions..

~Ibrahim~

Damn, that burner looks GOOOD! Damn shame it only comes in black. If I choose the P180 that won't be a problem, but if I go the Tt Armor way (Silver) it's gonna be a mis-match. I'll have to find a good silver colored burner just in case.

Just checked the price on the Seagate disks and they're the EXACT same price as the WD I was looking into. Haven't read that much about the perpendicular technique, but it sounds interesting. Have any good links?

The X1950XTX looks awesome, truly awesome! If it performs like we all hope it will, then it'll probably be a sure buy. Please note that I'm getting my hopes up on the performance part of the card, NOT the cooling. I still have this bad feeling that I'm gonna cough up serious $$$ for this graphics card and still have to replace the cooling for a Zalman VF900-Cu or an AC Accelero. Just can't shake the feeling that when I plug everything in and boot it up...a giant roar is gonna come from the case. :lol:  :lol: 

OK guys, now it's definetely time to sleep. It's 2:30 in the morning and I have work tomorrow...
July 26, 2006 12:52:27 AM

Crash, I can't argu with you on that point. Heat rises but the trick with this case is it actually seems to do a very good job of isolating the psu and any hard drives, that you place in the lower compartment of the case, from the upper compartment. It has built in some plastic panels that slide back and forth above the lower compartment, this is to allow wires from the psu into the upper section, and with my particular application I was able to virtually shut off the lower part from the upper with only half an inch of the slide panel open. If it wern't for this, it would be like you were refering, heat contanimation would over take the upper section of the case. However, like I said, I had half an inch from complete isolation of the two compartments. From what I can see they built this case taking that very point into consideration, otherwise they wouldn't have built it with the slide panels to accommodate wiring and isolate the two compartments, or the oversized 120mm fan in the lower compartment to push out the heat as quickly as possible. Infact, inlight of what you pointed out with thermodynamics, the only reason I can see them placing the psu in the bottom of the case is to get the noise of the psu as far away from the user as possible. Put it on the ground and minimize the reflection of any sound waves that come out of the exhaust fan's. That in combination with the side panels, and vibration dampers would provide much of the advertised sound proofing of this case.

I had been playing around with base coat clear coat on these because they didn't come completely black back when I got mine. As a result I had to tear the case completely down, and with as much time as I've messed/wasted with this thing its clear they put quite a bit of thought into it. That's the main reason I'm writing this with confidence, I've been through it more times than I care to remember, and as nobody could logically undermine/argu your point, I can say that it seems as if they have tried to avoid this very issue. The only cheap thing about it is the front door, it's flimsy and doesn't shut well sometimes, but even it is designed to block the sound waves of the front fan, and pull air in from the sides, keeping the noise out of your ear. Everything on this case seems to have a purpose and thats something that I either never noticed on another case, or never took the time to notice. Hehe I really don't want to see another one after the work I've put into them, but like I said before, once the build is done it's turns out quite nice.
July 26, 2006 1:59:29 AM

Gona say one more thing and shut up. :wink: I've built my share of pc's, and I plan to build a new system using conroe in a few months. From my personal epxerience/expense, even when you've done your homework, if you use components that have just been released you are setting yourself up for potential disaster. In the past 5 years I have yet to see the release of a product with Intel(and I'm an Intel fan) that did not have some sort of compatibility issue, especially with Asus. I love Asus, they make some of the most high performance yet stable mb's out there, but lately the trend has been release the product, let the consumer test it, then release a modified second edition of the product without the bugs. That goes for lots of other products out there as well. It would be smart of anyone to wait a couple of months until people start reporting compatibility issues and then you will know what or what not to buy. Otherwise you may be the one telling us what works and what doesn't.

I personally think they hyped this up just a bit too soon. I think you'll see a new/updated chipset/mb from intel based off the 975x within a few months, you'll have nvidia bringing their new nforce to the table soon...., there is some stuff here coming up in the very near future that you might not want to miss. I think they just released the cpu early because of corporate politics for these reasons. Other than the 965p, they don't have a chipset/mb that will work with Conroe and for Intel that is highly unusual. They have always made chipsets/mb releases in conjunction with their cpu's until now. This entire release is weird for Intel because for the most part they have nothing else to offer other than the cpu itslef. You know they won't ignore the performance market with this cpu, and the 975x isn't ready, the 965p has nothing, one pci/express 2 pci??? I don't want to kill your hopes by any means, but nonetheless, it needs to be said. This release is simply not ready IMO, and if you tried to build now you might be sadly disappointed, and I genuinely don't want to see that happen. But, hey I could be wrong, I havn't done my homework because I've had this rolling around in the back of my head since I saw the hype and it never occurred to me that a conroe system was really even viable this early in the game. Just my 2 cents which ain't worth a whole hell of a lot.
July 26, 2006 2:11:17 AM

If the power and hard drive section was at the top of the case, you wouldn't need the baracade. Power supplies draw more heat out than they put in, at least when the fan is effective.

But I'm actually seeing impressive cooling from ordinary, traditional cases with only two cooling fans. I think the only thing that makes Antec's designs look impressive is when they're compared to junk. But that works for any good enclosure.
July 26, 2006 2:06:30 PM

DARN! The RAM got punched up by $10. NewEgg decreased the $40 mail in rebate. Grrrrr. I'm waiting a day before I pull the trigger to make sure I can get the E6600. I'd hate to have all my parts and then not have the processor.

Any other bargains you guys are aware of on any of the components. Thanks!
July 26, 2006 2:30:53 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot about matching bezel's! I can't find one of it in black, but I'll look.

Yeah, RAM just went up to $177 over like $158 a few days ago. Dude, NewEgg is getting fishy, first high prices on price-cuts, then cutting short an amazing deal, what next?

Seagate

This is a review on the 750GB, but I believe everything is identical, just minus the drive space. Would that change the results?

lol, roar.

Good night!

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 5:42:57 PM

I haven't looked recently, but the last time I did look a few months ago the 320GB was the "early" version 7200.10, while the 300GB was the "later" version. The early version has much lower platter density, and used 3 platters for 320GB. The later version used 2 platters for 300GB.
July 26, 2006 5:49:42 PM

Really? I can't find the 300GB version, though..

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 5:57:53 PM

Quote: /Crashman:
"Your case and power supply selections are poor values, I'd pick a sub-$90 case from Cooler Master and a sub-$80 power supply from Fortron Source."

It is amazing how hard so many have worked to ignore the fundamental case/PSU issue.
July 26, 2006 5:58:59 PM

Yeh, and Seagate won't even tell you. But if you look at their comparison sheet you'll see that the 3-platter versions all have one weight, while the 2-platter versions all have a lower weight. Why they'd "need" "Pependicular" for the low-capacity platters is beyond me...
July 26, 2006 6:02:37 PM

True. It might be cheaper, though.

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 10:50:28 PM

Quote:
Yeh, and Seagate won't even tell you. But if you look at their comparison sheet you'll see that the 3-platter versions all have one weight, while the 2-platter versions all have a lower weight. Why they'd "need" "Pependicular" for the low-capacity platters is beyond me...

perpendicular recording has superior performance, almost that of a 150 GB raptor
!