Problem accessing groups and users of two trusting domains

I have two independent domains (X and Y) that trust each other. The trust is
not transitive. I am trying to add the Administrator account of X's domain
controller to the Domain Admins group of Y. Unfortunately, when I open the
Domain Admins group on domain Y I cannot even access the users and groups of
the other domain controller. In other words, domain X is not even visible in
the Y's add members tab.

Is this a normal course of events? If not, can someone please explain to me
how to achieve a successful access to a trusting domain's groups and users
from the trusted domain?

Thanks.

--
Victor

"" wrote:
> I have two independent domains (X and Y) that trust each
> other. The trust is
> not transitive. I am trying to add the Administrator account
> of X's domain
> controller to the Domain Admins group of Y. Unfortunately,
> when I open the
> Domain Admins group on domain Y I cannot even access the users
> and groups of
> the other domain controller. In other words, domain X is not
> even visible in
> the Y's add members tab.
>

> Is this a normal course of events? If not, can someone please
> explain to me
> how to achieve a successful access to a trusting domain's
> groups and users
> from the trusted domain?
>

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Victor

This is normal behavior...

Domain Admins is a global group and global groups can only contain
users from the same domain as the global group

see for more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/79d93e46-ecab-4165-8001-7adc3c9f804e.mspx

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Problem-accessing-groups-users-trusting-domains-ftopict419485.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1401585

Jorge, the ADMT procedure for copying objects from one domain to another
seems to require the user that is logged in to be added to Domain Admins in
both source and target domains. Since those domains are in different
domains (and different forests), how can it be done?

--
Will