9800XT to X1600 Pro

My 9800XT Recently took a dump on me and is about a year out of warranty :(.

Forced to upgrade and not wanting to spend too much more money on a new card, the X1600 Pro looked like a good buy. I figured with a faster core, more RAM, and DDR2, that I should get a nice performance boost without spending too much and going through the hassle of installing a new PCI-E motherboard.

After installing it, I noticed the performance wasn't much different. I was still getting the same framerates (without changing settings) on WoW and Oblivion.

I noticed on the list, that the X800 Pro/GTO is more expensive then the X1600 Pro, which usually means better performance. I used to keep up with all the Video Cards up to a few years ago, but I'm somewhat out of the game right now and a little lost with card names that don't make too much sense to me.

Going by price alone, it would appear that the best I could get in terms of performance would be the X850 XT.

To get to the point, for a final performance boost before AGP becomes obsolete, which of the following am I better off with in terms of bang for buck. I'm willing to go for the most expensive card, if that means a huge performance jump. Here are my choices:
$475.99 Radeon X850 XT
$356.99 Radeon X800 XL
$214.99 Radeon X700 Pro
$199.98 Radeon X800 XT Platinum
$179.99 Radeon X1600 XT

Oh, and I'm not looking to order online. I want to be able to pick the product up immediately.
11 answers Last reply
More about 9800xt x1600
  1. Quote:
    Here are my choices:
    $475.99 Radeon X850 XT
    $356.99 Radeon X800 XL
    $214.99 Radeon X700 Pro
    $199.98 Radeon X800 XT Platinum
    $179.99 Radeon X1600 XT

    Oh, and I'm not looking to order online. I want to be able to pick the product up immediately.


    Wow, that's pricey! Where are you at? If you want to go out and immediately buy a card, then why waste time posting here? You can do so, so, so, so much better online. It'd be worth the wait. $475 would get you any card out there.

    I don't understand these prices at all. Can anyone else clue me in as to why the X700 is more expensive here than the X800XT?
  2. Problem is, the X1600 pro is not better than a 9800XT, if anything I'd suspect the 9800XT would win more often than not.

    The X800XT platinum edition for $199 is a good price even if that's American dollars. It is actually clocked a tad over the X850XT and basically offers identical performance. The others you listed are all ripoffs at those prices!

    Buying online you could get a X800XL for $119 USD and $139 CAN.
  3. Prices are from CompUSA.com

    I went out and purchased the X1600 from Best Buy earlier today.

    The reason I'm posting here is to find out which will give me the best performance gain coming from a 9800 XT for the money. If the X850 XT will only give me a small boost, then there is no reason for me to purchase it, but if I will notice a large gain in performance, then I'll go for it.

    The cheapest (pricewatch.com) AGP X850 XT shows only $70 in savings, which isn't worth it for the time it takes to get here in my opinion.
  4. Quote:
    Problem is, the X1600 pro is not better than a 9800XT, if anything I'd suspect the 9800XT would win more often than not.

    The X800XT platinum edition for $199 is a good price even if that's American dollars. It is actually clocked a tad over the X850XT and basically offers identical performance. The others you listed are all ripoffs at those prices!

    Buying online you could get a X800XL for $119 USD and $139 CAN.


    So the X700 Pro, X800 XL, and the X850 XT don't offer much more performance the the X800 XT Platinum?
  5. X800XT platinum is the way to go. it is equal or a tad better than the X850XT, and both will give a huge boost over a 9800XT or X1600pro. The only AGP cards better than the X800XTpe/X850XT, are the 7800GS and the X850XT platinum, and they are not a lot better. So give bestbuy back their junk ;) and go grab the $199 X800XTpe if it's in stock.
  6. Quote:
    X800XT platinum is the way to go. it is equal or a tad better than the X850XT, and both will give a huge boost over a 9800XT or X1600pro. The only AGP cards better than the X800XTpe/X850XT, are the 7800GS and the X850XT platinum, and they are not a lot better. So give bestbuy back their junk ;) and go grab the $199 X800XTpe if it's in stock.


    I agree... the X1600 might be newer but it's a (crappy) midrange card. I was about to get it before going for a X800GTO (PCIe) since it performed better.
  7. Quote:
    Here are my choices:
    $475.99 Radeon X850 XT
    $356.99 Radeon X800 XL
    $214.99 Radeon X700 Pro
    $199.98 Radeon X800 XT Platinum
    $179.99 Radeon X1600 XT

    Oh, and I'm not looking to order online. I want to be able to pick the product up immediately.


    HOLY MOTHER OF XXX... dude wtf are you thinking, you could get either the 7900GT or the 1800XT for $300-$310 from newegg. Either of those cards will destroy that entire list even if you could get four of them working together in quad crossfire.
  8. Just to add a farcry performance link: http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/page10.html

    The 9800XT was the best of it's generation, the X800XTpe was the best of the next generation. it's honestly got to be 100% increase or even more if you turn on fsaa.
  9. ATI has an AGP X850Pro for $140, and an AGP X800XL for $120. I'd get the X800XL; it will give you that performance boost that you're looking for, and it won't break the bank.
  10. I went from a 9800 pro to an x800xl refurb with a 1 year warrany from ati for $119. The difference is astounding. X800xl or X850pro would be a great upgrade for cheap.
  11. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and giving me positive feedback without flaming me and making me out to be an idiot :D.

    It looks like its going to be the X800 XT Platinum Edition. I know some of you think I should buy online, but in all honesty, I don't want to wait for shipping. If this was just an upgrade to my existing properly functioning card, I'd order online due to the savings, but its just not practical for me at this time.

    Thanks again for all the positive feedback! :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance World Of Warcraft Graphics