Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI/AMD Vs NVIDIA/Intel

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 24, 2006 10:03:02 PM

I posted this article for all the newbs on Gamespot. I figured that a lot of people on this forum need to know this stuff as well.

For all you uninformed people praying to god that intel buys nvidia....well guess what....that won't happen....because last year intel had the chance between purchasing nvida or investing into communications....and guess what they chose......thats right....communications. Stupid Intel.

However...for all you Intel/ Nvidia fanboys out there:
Because AMD is now merged with ATI...intel will remove ati from there mobo chipsets...and become more "closely related" with nvida.....but the funny thing about that....there still is no partnership....and there are no plans of a partnership in the future. AND AMD WALKS AWAY WITH SLI.....thats right....no more sli for nvidia until plans are ammended with intel.....they are going to miss the first gen directx10 race...

Besides...the new Core duo 2 proecessor now holds the cheapest price/performance lead....and....they are better than the previously reigning AMD processor they run cooler...and use less voltage. /clap intel you did something right for a change. But....remember...your comparing last gen processors to new gen processors....just wait till AMD releases there new quad core in early 07' /goodbye intel

For all you peeps complainging about integrated solutions....go do some research...because they arent refering to crappy onboard intell/ati express graphics cards.....they are refering to a new technology that they would like to implement that places a gpu dye on the cpu or something similar. CPU/GPU combo basically.

--AND THE FUNNIEST THING--
Nvidia just lost the only company that supported SLI....so now nvidia **WONT HAVE SLI** in the next generation on direct x10 games.

And ATI crossfire lives on to dominate Ageia physx with the upcoming addition to new motherboards that support 2 gfx cards running crossfire config focusing on gfx with 1 gfx card running physx... ( thats 3 pci-e 16x lanes)
-OR-
1 gfx card running gfx and 1 gfx card running physx (thats 2 pci-e 16x lanes)

--AND THE GREATEST THING--
AMD/ATI have always been the #1 choice among hardcore gamers.
MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN...

***IMPORTANT***
BTW....nvidia fans that are all like "Nvidias drivers are sooo much better than ATI's".....might i remind you that nvidia has done 3 illegal optimizations to there drivers that showed performance yeilds over ati cards in aquamark and 3dmark even though the card wasn't capable of what the test score showed. Its all over the internet....check it out...nvidia is full of a bunch of cheaters.

And because of there cheating....directx 10 excluded Nvidia from the Directx 10 conference so nvidias cards wont be 100% compatible with Directx 10 graphical features

"Nvidia's NV38 (along with the rest of the FX series) has been dubbed as a substandard card by the DX Development Team. THIS MEANS THAT DX WILL NOT INCLUDE NVIDIA IN ITS DEVELOPEMENT RANGE FOR DIRECTX 10. Team DX made the decision "as a favor to the graphics industry". Team DX claims that NV violated their partnership agreement by changing the DX9 code with their latest set of drivers as caught by Xbit labs recently. This violates the licensing agreement and conpromises DX's quality in order to make it seem as if ATi and NV cards alike display the same image quality (which would be really bad in this case)."

ALSO....intel got caught in a large scandle last month....they were paying a major distributions office over in europe to not allow AMD products into the retail stores around that region. Currently intel awaits trial agains AMD for "unfair play"....intel is also full of a bunch of cheaters.

More about : ati amd nvidia intel

July 24, 2006 10:10:28 PM

Quote:
Nvidia just lost the only company that supported SLI....so now nvidia **WONT HAVE SLI** in the next generation on direct x10 games.


nVidia is not going anywhere. Thsi time next year they will still have th emajority of desktops AMD chipsets.

AMDs plan is to use ATi for high end server and mobile while nVidia takes everything else. IMHO.

SLI will still be supported on AMD mobos. They will jsut need the nForce 5xx which I don't think nVidia wil just throw away.

I was worried about the relationship with nVidia but it looks like they aren't going to brand GPUs or chipsets with AMD. At this poitn it looks really bad for Intel with Vista coming and they have no IGP for Aero Premium.

I remember saying that people(OEMs) would definitely stab Intel in the heart if they got a chance. nVidia, AMD, and ATi now have the chance. The merger should go through both countries pretty quickly and their should be an ATi chipset for the K8L server when it debuts.
July 24, 2006 10:18:32 PM

Heres the thing....SLI is currently supported.....but with the merge of ati/amd...i doutb if ati will allow amd to support nvidia.....thats like verizon merging with sprint when sprint previously supported cingular (all made up of course) verizon wouldnt let there new merger company support there enemy
Related resources
July 24, 2006 10:20:44 PM

The fact that Intel may or may not have a dual GPU solution has no effect on nVidia's DX10 cards. Sure, mabye no SLI, but how many people use it to begin with anyway?

The CPU/GPU idea has been discussed in other threads. It's not practical. Imagine putting an X1900 GPU alongside an C2D X6800...smells like Prescott. Additonally, it's not modular - if you want to get a new GPU, you'd have to replace the entire unit, which would become very expensive.

There is no proof that AMD's quad core will be any better than Intel's. With their 65nm behind schedule, how do you even know they will get it out on time?

For AMD to turn around and screw nVidia makes no sense. AMD is still a viable customer to nVidia. For nVidia to isolate themselves from a potential market because of a grudge is like flushing money down the toilet.

=========================

BaronMatrix - It's called GMA 3000 - it's meets the bare minimum for Aero.
Ehhhhhhh, but it's an Intel IGP, and we know how much you hate those.
July 24, 2006 10:31:01 PM

Im not saying amd would screw over nvidia with the profits that amd stands to make with nvidia......but will ati stand for there owner still working with there competitior...i mean....this morning after the merge....intel annouced that they were going to remove the ati bridge from all future products. People are speculating (stress on the word speculating) that this could create delays with the r600 core from ati.Stuff like that doesn't sit well.

MEX:
"The fact that Intel may or may not have a dual GPU solution has no effect on nVidia's DX10 cards. Sure, mabye no SLI, but how many people use it to begin with anyway? "

My answer:
"Team DX made the decision "as a favor to the graphics industry". Team DX claims that NV violated their partnership agreement by changing the DX9 code with their latest set of drivers as caught by Xbit labs recently. This violates the licensing agreement and conpromises DX's quality in order to make it seem as if ATi and NV cards alike display the same image quality."

MEX:
"There is no proof that AMD's quad core will be any better than Intel's. With their 65nm behind schedule, how do you even know they will get it out on time? "

My answer:
Either way....no matter how you slice it......the performance margins between the core duo 2 and the last generation of athlon x2 processors weren't incredibly impressive, although they won in over 95% of the tests. Especially for the fact that they were comparing the new processor with the processors already out on the market....amd will have an answer for this in the near future. The only compliment that i can give to intel is that they now lead in price/performance margins. And now they finally have a processor that rivals amd with low power intake and high performance outtake.
July 24, 2006 10:41:06 PM

first: the name of the topic on this post should be changed to the truth and not what you want the truth the be.

amd buys out ati vs intel buys out communications ( not like it really matters since i wont be using this new technology for 2-3 years )

second: i dont have to use my hands or fingers for that matter to count how many people use sli in my neighbourhood. does sli really acts like 2 video cards? if you have one video card and if your buddy has 2 video cards ( which i think is a waste of money and no point) does he expirence double the gaming you expirence? i think not. sli is for those people who like to say they have the top of the line stuff for gaming yet you really only need one gpu to really do what you need to do. sure its better to have 2 video cards then one but there is no point of having two when one is just fine.

third: i think what they should have was get two video cards and merge them together as one instead of making this overpriced technology called sli.

fourth: do you want nvidia to stop? do you know what would happen if that were to happen? ati would be the number 1 video card maker ( of course because there is no competition) and since there is no competition there is no point of making better technology as fast as they was already. then we all know what happens after that.

gg
July 24, 2006 10:42:56 PM

Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.
We all know that amd cant stand to lose money over the next couple months, because they need to make a quick turnaround if they plan to get anywhere...
Boyond that...only time will tell.

What im really interested in....will AMD make certain ATI combo specific mobos/gpus/cpus that will allow the amd procesors to tailor specifically to the architecture of an ati card. Allowing full allocation of every feature build into the card. Because with the current market....cpus are made to be operated with either integrated intel/ati graphics, or a choice between nvidia or ati.

An interesting new future could unfold due to the agreement that took place this very day, I can't wait to see what it will be like.
July 24, 2006 10:47:38 PM

Quote:
MEX:
"The fact that Intel may or may not have a dual GPU solution has no effect on nVidia's DX10 cards. Sure, mabye no SLI, but how many people use it to begin with anyway? "

My answer:
"Team DX made the decision "as a favor to the graphics industry". Team DX claims that NV violated their partnership agreement by changing the DX9 code with their latest set of drivers as caught by Xbit labs recently. This violates the licensing agreement and conpromises DX's quality in order to make it seem as if ATi and NV cards alike display the same image quality."

You didn't answer my question. Your original post implied that because Intel didn't have SLI, nVidia would not be able to get their DX10 cards out on time. Did I mention that the G80 has been taped out? nVidia will not miss the DX10 race. In fact, they've set the rather lofty goal of an October release. However, since they just barely taped the core out, I don't see that happening. Think more November/December.

Quote:
MEX:
"There is no proof that AMD's quad core will be any better than Intel's. With their 65nm behind schedule, how do you even know they will get it out on time? "

My answer:
Either way....no matter how you slice it......the performance margins between the core duo 2 and the last generation of athlon x2 processors weren't incredibly impressive, although they won in over 95% of the tests. Especially for the fact that they were comparing the new processor with the processors already out on the market....amd will have an answer for this in the near future. The only compliment that i can give to intel is that they now lead in price/performance margins. And now they finally have a processor that rivals amd with low power intake and high performance outtake.

The performance margins may not have been impresive, but the fact that the E6700 is capable of rivaling the FX-62 for 2/3 the price is. What's AMD's answer? 65nm? That will help with yields and power consumtion, but process changes typically don't yield more performance (although it does usually make them more overclockable). The internet is awash with dates on the release of K8L, 4x4 is vaporware, and quad core may or may not come out on schedule.
July 24, 2006 10:50:38 PM

Quote:
Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.
We all know that amd cant stand to lose money over the next couple months, because they need to make a quick turnaround if they plan to get anywhere...
Boyond that...only time will tell.

What im really interested in....will AMD make certain ATI combo specific mobos/gpus/cpus that will allow the amd procesors to tailor specifically to the architecture of an ati card. Allowing full allocation of every feature build into the card. Because with the current market....cpus are made to be operated with either integrated intel/ati graphics, or a choice between nvidia or ati.

An interesting new future could unfold due to the agreement that took place this very day, I can't wait to see what it will be like.


cpus being combined with video cards? does that kick the new technology sli out of the picture...?
July 24, 2006 10:53:08 PM

In reply to mex:
What you misunderstood or perhaps i may have wrote it in a confusing manner. Is that basically ....nvidia was excluded from the developement of directx 10. And now AMD owns ATI...and AMD is the company thats making motherboards that support sli cards. These new details may mean that Nvidia wont have directx 10 sli cards. I know they already have directx 10 cards (even though they arent full compatible with all the new directx 10 features, which all by itself is enoguh reason to avoid nvidia till directx10a)

Details will come forth over time
July 24, 2006 10:55:35 PM

o thanks for that. i got what your saying. nvidia will find a way.
July 24, 2006 11:01:21 PM

Quote:
In reply to mex:
What you misunderstood or perhaps i may have wrote it in a confusing manner. Is that basically ....nvidia was excluded from the developement of directx 10. And now AMD owns ATI...and AMD is the company thats making motherboards that support sli cards. These new details may mean that Nvidia wont have directx 10 sli cards. I know they already have directx 10 cards (even though they arent full compatible with all the new directx 10 features, which all by itself is enoguh reason to avoid nvidia till directx10a)

Details will come forth over time

Since Intel just lost XFire to the AMD/ATi buyout, they will license SLI from nVidia, whether they already have it or not - Intel needs to get the word out that they are still a viable enthusiast platform. As for AMD...who says they ever lost SLI? nVidia will still have SLI and will still make chipsets for AMD - they won't have as big a share, but a share none the less. Additionally, how do you know nVidia cards aren't fully compatible with DX10. Just because they weren't present at the design confrence doesn't mean they're in the dark. By your logic, nVidia's products will be inferior throughout the entire lifetime of DX10.
July 24, 2006 11:26:12 PM

Heres the deal.....at the directx10 conferences DX gives the developers dev kits to make there products fully compatible with every directx 10 feature. You might remember with Directx9 there was a slew of new features that added realism to our games and added more with the release of 9a 9b and 9c. Specualar lighting, New shaders support, HDR lighting and just a bunch of other things that added to the realism.....if a graphics card company wants to produce graphics for all the new up and coming games, the graphics card needs to support whatever directx 10 features that game has implemented into it. So yes Nvidia products will be inferior to ATI in the FIRST GENERATION OF DIRECTX10, because nvidia will recieve dev kits from various game companies over time that will be supporting new content creation for Directx10a / b/ c allowing nvidia to catch up. Directx only excluded them from the initial conference. They wont exclude them from the rest of Directx10. So no they wont be inferior throughut the Directx 10 lifetime....just at the initial release.

For instance......valve came up with a lot of new directx 9 content that they had to send to gfx card manufacturers in order for those companies to allow for optimizations and funcionality.....so eventually nvidia will get all caught up and a lot faster since vista will be out in full support of directx 10....and game companies will tailor their games around directx 10 sending dev kits to nvidia and also ati.
Maybe your not familiar with that process, and thats were we fail to agree.

As for SLI..
Sli is amd/nvidia.......amd is now amd/ati with crossfire/sli...and nvidia is alone with amd and nvidia sharing a profit from the bridges and sli.

Dont you think that now that AMD owns ATI they would rather make 100% of the prophet and not share it with an outside company such as nvidia.

AMD uses nvidia support for the time being....however.....ati has there own chipsets/bridges...and now that AMD/ATI are together....they MAY want to make the profit ENTIRELY.....not a certain % of nvidias profit. Thats how corporations work. Just incase you failed to understand that.

AMD will keep nvidia for the time being because amd uses there chipsets/bridges and sli.....but thats for the time being.

If Nvidia hopes to not fall behind...they too will need to side with a manufacturing company such as intel because ati and amd are going o benefit from eachother immensly throughout the upcoming months
....like i said before
"Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.
We all know that amd cant stand to lose money over the next couple months, because they need to make a quick turnaround if they plan to get anywhere...
Beyond that...only time will tell."
July 24, 2006 11:30:34 PM

and thats why they got with ati. they running short of funds i suppose since intel trying to wipe them clean.
July 24, 2006 11:45:35 PM

Guys calm down already ... the only thing all those companies care about is your hard earned $$$$ so arguing about wich will dominate who and when is total waste of time. I remember reading lots of posts like I read here back when DEC (Digital) was bought out by Compaq and today HP are still selling Alpha based servers because they still make $$$ with them. So the debate on who will support what from whom will be decided again by $$$$$.
July 24, 2006 11:46:15 PM

hmm nice i agree, but sli isnt dead, no company is stupid enough to do that, ati cant produce so much, i mean theres the fabrics and all that, it doesnt mean that they merged with amd that they will have like a billion more fabrics... amd fabrics are for cpu's, ati fabrics for gpu's... its more the technology, its gonna be superioir to nforce chipsets, and then finally, it seems that amd still has a fight with the price/performance, because Tom or some hardware page calculated that, for example, the x2 4200 had to cost less than 213 dollars to compete with the E6300, now conroes are good for overclocking... ladedadeda, but to do so u have to spend 150-200 on a friggin mobo, while with amd a 100 dollar mobo does just fine, lets see 180 + 200 = 380 to overclock and E6300, 200 + 100 = 300 to overclock an x2 4200, that almost 100 bucks less to overclock! and i mean wow! with those 80 bucks u get urself better ram to overclock, or a better gpu or better psu or better case so on so forth, so to conclude HECK YES ATI AND AMD!!!! GAMERS FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!! gonna PWN the conroe and those crappy intel chipsets!
July 24, 2006 11:46:57 PM

Quote:
Heres the deal.....at the directx10 conferences DX gives the developers dev kits to make there products fully compatible with every directx 10 feature. You might remember with Directx9 there was a slew of new features that added realism to our games and added more with the release of 9a 9b and 9c. Specualar lighting, New shaders support, HDR lighting and just a bunch of other things that added to the realism.....if a graphics card company wants to produce graphics for all the new up and coming games, the graphics card needs to support whatever directx 10 features that game has implemented into it. So yes Nvidia products will be inferior to ATI in the FIRST GENERATION OF DIRECTX10, because nvidia will recieve dev kits from various game companies over time that will be supporting new content creation for Directx10a / b/ c allowing nvidia to catch up. Directx only excluded them from the initial conference. They wont exclude them from the rest of Directx10. So no they wont be inferior throughut the Directx 10 lifetime....just at the initial release.

For instance......valve came up with a lot of new directx 9 content that they had to send to gfx card manufacturers in order for those companies to allow for optimizations and funcionality.....so eventually nvidia will get all caught up and a lot faster since vista will be out in full support of directx 10....and game companies will tailor their games around directx 10 sending dev kits to nvidia and also ati.
Maybe your not familiar with that process, and thats were we fail to agree.

As for SLI..
Sli is amd/nvidia.......amd is now amd/ati with crossfire/sli...and nvidia is alone with amd and nvidia sharing a profit from the bridges and sli.

Dont you think that now that AMD owns ATI they would rather make 100% of the prophet and not share it with an outside company such as nvidia.

AMD uses nvidia support for the time being....however.....ati has there own chipsets/bridges...and now that AMD/ATI are together....they MAY want to make the profit ENTIRELY.....not a certain % of nvidias profit. Thats how corporations work. Just incase you failed to understand that.

AMD will keep nvidia for the time being because amd uses there chipsets/bridges and sli.....but thats for the time being.

If Nvidia hopes to not fall behind...they too will need to side with a manufacturing company such as intel because ati and amd are going o benefit from eachother immensly throughout the upcoming months
....like i said before
"Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.
We all know that amd cant stand to lose money over the next couple months, because they need to make a quick turnaround if they plan to get anywhere...
Beyond that...only time will tell."

First off, I accept your DX10 argument. Well played, if a little difficult to read (no offence).

Now, it's true that AMD would not want to have to compete with nVidia sice they now own the XFire platform, and have a chipset of their own as well. But by that logic, why doesn't AMD shove VIA and SIS out of the way either? To force nVidia out of the market would be a bit...monopolistic, since VIA and SIS don't have much of a share on the platform anyway. Additionally, using your logic, we can take AMD a step further. They OWN ATi. AMD could simply take the chipset division and spin off the GPU division, effectivly giving AMD a near 100% dominance over the AMD platform, by offering the only chipsets and multi-GPU solution. However, if they did that, one or more disgruntled companies would surely go after AMD in an anti-trust suit and acuse AMD of monopolistic practices involving chipsets, just as AMD did to Intel not to long ago.

Most are guessing that nVidia will not merge/sell to Intel at this time.

Quote:
If Nvidia hopes to not fall behind...they too will need to side with a manufacturing company such as intel because ati and amd are going o benefit from eachother immensly throughout the upcoming months
....like i said before
"Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.

You're contradicting yourself here. It's unknown what exact benefits, if any, this buyout will have on the companies.
July 25, 2006 12:50:44 AM

Quote:
Heres the deal.....at the directx10 conferences DX gives the developers dev kits to make there products fully compatible with every directx 10 feature. You might remember with Directx9 there was a slew of new features that added realism to our games and added more with the release of 9a 9b and 9c. Specualar lighting, New shaders support, HDR lighting and just a bunch of other things that added to the realism.....if a graphics card company wants to produce graphics for all the new up and coming games, the graphics card needs to support whatever directx 10 features that game has implemented into it. So yes Nvidia products will be inferior to ATI in the FIRST GENERATION OF DIRECTX10, because nvidia will recieve dev kits from various game companies over time that will be supporting new content creation for Directx10a / b/ c allowing nvidia to catch up. Directx only excluded them from the initial conference. They wont exclude them from the rest of Directx10. So no they wont be inferior throughut the Directx 10 lifetime....just at the initial release.

For instance......valve came up with a lot of new directx 9 content that they had to send to gfx card manufacturers in order for those companies to allow for optimizations and funcionality.....so eventually nvidia will get all caught up and a lot faster since vista will be out in full support of directx 10....and game companies will tailor their games around directx 10 sending dev kits to nvidia and also ati.
Maybe your not familiar with that process, and thats were we fail to agree.

As for SLI..
Sli is amd/nvidia.......amd is now amd/ati with crossfire/sli...and nvidia is alone with amd and nvidia sharing a profit from the bridges and sli.

Dont you think that now that AMD owns ATI they would rather make 100% of the prophet and not share it with an outside company such as nvidia.

AMD uses nvidia support for the time being....however.....ati has there own chipsets/bridges...and now that AMD/ATI are together....they MAY want to make the profit ENTIRELY.....not a certain % of nvidias profit. Thats how corporations work. Just incase you failed to understand that.

AMD will keep nvidia for the time being because amd uses there chipsets/bridges and sli.....but thats for the time being.

If Nvidia hopes to not fall behind...they too will need to side with a manufacturing company such as intel because ati and amd are going o benefit from eachother immensly throughout the upcoming months
....like i said before
"Well i guess only the upcoming months will tell.
We all know that amd cant stand to lose money over the next couple months, because they need to make a quick turnaround if they plan to get anywhere...
Beyond that...only time will tell."


Last i check SLI was created by 3DFX and Nvidia purchased 3DFX so Nvidia holds all rights to SLI.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2001/04/19/3dfx/index.php
Nvidia can make their own chipset and as for DX10 Nvidia has been in the design of G80 for well over a year. The hardware is DX10 compatable and the drivers can be none DX10 until next spring and not change a thing. DX10 programs will not show up until next year some time.

AMD would be dumb to force Nvidia into Intels corner so yes AMD will support Nvidia as always. Intel would be dumb to force ATI only to AMD's platform as boths CPU makers market share will depend partly then on the GPU maker.

AMD's main goal in the merger is to consolidate their and ATI's 65nm production and to gain access to ATI's GPU technology.
July 25, 2006 12:51:56 AM

I doubt amd sees via and sis as a threat since their market value is far less, and the only thing that are making money off of is chipsets. (for the most part)

that last part i said may be slightly contradictory, your right...however.....noting that what i said somewhat contradicts my earlier statement....know this. If ati and amd have access to eachothers technologies, Nvidia is stuck with what they have....and they may need help if they want to compete in the longrun even if intel has moved to communications....perhaps via could fill that slot, i dunno....but the main manufacturing advantage is now in amd/ati's corner. This advantage may pose as a threat to nvidia if nvidia cant find a similar partnership to help with the manufacturing process...we shall see, im sure they will be fine for now, but in the long run they may want a similar solution

I wholeheartedly agree with the anti-trust suit....however...when amd and nvidia signed the contract for an sli partnership im sure it was something of a 4 year contract with the posibility of a renewal after 4 years, and im sure amd will see doors opening now that they OWN ati, same goes for ati's chipsets.

When a company can keep all the profits, not have to oursource for components, and provide there own chipsets....they probly will.

Thats gotta me the most ingenous part of this purchase.

Who knows....nvidia could fall apart and be bought out like voodoo :p , but not likely. This may be the spawn of an entirely new and evolving form of game peroformance computers.

Time will tell
July 25, 2006 12:56:58 AM

LOL ELBERT.....read my article again...i was talking about the motherboards AMD/SLI....not INTEL/SLI....im sure that everyone in here knows that sli was purchased from 3fx by nvidia.

And intel already booted ati from Intel mobos, read the press release this morning.

And read the last few posts and the post before this....they will enlighten you. You seem kinda lost...no offense.
July 25, 2006 1:05:01 AM

Quote:
LOL ELBERT.....read my article again...i was talking about the motherboards AMD/SLI....not INTEL/SLI....im sure that everyone in here knows that sli was purchased from 3fx by nvidia.

And intel already booted ati from Intel mobos, read the press release this morning.

And read the last few posts and the post before this....they will enlighten you. You seem kinda lost...no offense.


I see your point the SLI Nvidia payed for by the buy out of 3DFX isnt in any way the SLI on the mobo. :lol:  AMD license the tech from Nvidia and Nvidia at anytime can break that contract due to them owning all rights.

If AMD owned the rights to any part of SLI then ATI could use SLI. I guess you think AMD hold rights to SLI on the mobo but were does the Nvidia chipsets come in? The funny part is Intel/SLI or AMD/SLI both are owned by Nvidia.

Note the Nvidia 7950 the all on the card SLI and Nvidia could do the same with a quad SLI on a single slot.
July 25, 2006 1:13:22 AM

Quote:
that last part i said may be slightly contradictory, your right...however.....noting that what i said somewhat contradicts my earlier statement....know this. If ati and amd have access to eachothers technologies, Nvidia is stuck with what they have....and they may need help if they want to compete in the longrun even if intel has moved to communications....perhaps via could fill that slot, i dunno....but the main manufacturing advantage is now in amd/ati's corner. This advantage may pose as a threat to nvidia if nvidia cant find a similar partnership to help with the manufacturing process...we shall see, im sure they will be fine for now, but in the long run they may want a similar solution

This is a potential advantage. While ATi could use AMD's fabs and process technologies to gain the upper hand over nVidia, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

AMD is in dire straits right now - 65nm is far behind schedule. Any 65nm capable fab (may be 0) is going to be producing 65nm AM2 chips as fast as it can. 90nm fabs are being converted, which caps their performance at around 50%. Now, if ATi wanted to use AMD process technology, it would have to be produced at AMD fabs since those would be the only facilities capable of using that technology (neccesary equipment, etc.). That being said, where would ATi find room? AMD fabs are most likely loaded to capacity or crippled by the 90>>65nm transistion. Additionally, the core would have to designed from the ground up using AMD's technology, meaning it probably couldn't be implemented until the generation after next.

In the meantime, ATi will continue to use TSMC and other outside foundries. Therefore, this is not an immediate threat to nVidia (Incidentally, AMD's issues would give nVidia ample time to find a manufacturing parter should they see this as an issue). AMD will not see a major capacity increase until they complete their NY fab in 2012, I believe.
July 25, 2006 1:22:21 AM

Quote:
first: the name of the topic on this post should be changed to the truth and not what you want the truth the be.

amd buys out ati vs intel buys out communications ( not like it really matters since i wont be using this new technology for 2-3 years )

second: i dont have to use my hands or fingers for that matter to count how many people use sli in my neighbourhood. does sli really acts like 2 video cards? if you have one video card and if your buddy has 2 video cards ( which i think is a waste of money and no point) does he expirence double the gaming you expirence? i think not. sli is for those people who like to say they have the top of the line stuff for gaming yet you really only need one gpu to really do what you need to do. sure its better to have 2 video cards then one but there is no point of having two when one is just fine.

third: i think what they should have was get two video cards and merge them together as one instead of making this overpriced technology called sli.

fourth: do you want nvidia to stop? do you know what would happen if that were to happen? ati would be the number 1 video card maker ( of course because there is no competition) and since there is no competition there is no point of making better technology as fast as they was already. then we all know what happens after that.

gg


I agree. But these times, are for fanboys. - So Good-Bye
July 25, 2006 1:39:08 AM

Quote:
--AND THE FUNNIEST THING--
Nvidia just lost the only company that supported SLI....so now nvidia **WONT HAVE SLI** in the next generation on direct x10 games.
What are you smoking? AMD doesn't make their own chipsets, and currently only Nvidia chipsets support SLI for both Intel and AMD platforms. It'll be the same way now that AMD owns ATI; Nvidia will continue to make SLI chipsets for both AMD and Intel.
!