upgrading video card leads to less CPU performance .. :(

MissDjax

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
hi all,
well I have a massive problem I couldn't solve yet, so you guys are my last way out.
first my specs:

- AMD 2500+ barton
- 1x1 Gb 333 ram
- Asus A7V333-X (VIA 333)
- x800pro 256 (formerly 9800pro 128)
- win2000

Now to my problem:
I upgraded my video card and now on different benchmarks (3dmark2005, aquamark3) I have less CPU scores than before, for example:

Aquamark3 with radeon9800pro:
- 5800 GPU score
- 5800 CPU score

Aquamark3 with x800pro
- 7400 GPU score
- 4700 CPU score !!!

I tried several drivers for the video card but I guess the problem has nothing to do with the vid card itself, but maybe for the hardware combination!? well I just don't know at all...
I tried several via 4in1 drivers as well and no change at all.
I didnt change any settings in the bios either.

Well I don't think someone can help me out but it's worth a try ;)
thx in advance
MissDjax

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
you cpu is bottlenecking your gpu. Get a barton 3000+ or at least athlon 64 3000+. GL! :arrow: If you wont upgrade, then use your old 9800pro for better performance.

MissDjax

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
thx for the replys guys but honestly I don't think my issue is due to bottlenecking. My 2500+ is O/C at 2900+ and for me it would make more sense if my GPU score would be lower than it could be with a better CPU but that the CPU score is far lower with a more powerfull vid card than with an older one would be pretty strange in my opinion.
I compared my benchmark results with similar system specifications of other users (~2800+/x800pro) and they have around the same amount of CPU score that I had BEFORE I upgraded my vid card.
I'm not an expert, but I think it's something else than bottlenecking.
in waiting of other solutions... ;)
Djax

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
thx for the replys guys but honestly I don't think my issue is due to bottlenecking. My 2500+ is O/C at 2900+ and for me it would make more sense if my GPU score would be lower than it could be with a better CPU but that the CPU score is far lower with a more powerfull vid card than with an older one would be pretty strange in my opinion.
I compared my benchmark results with similar system specifications of other users (~2800+/x800pro) and they have around the same amount of CPU score that I had BEFORE I upgraded my vid card.
Djax

They could be using better ram than you, less fragmented HDD. :roll: X800 is more advanced than you cpu. Just cause you OC doesnt mean the perfomance is increased enough not to bottleneck. Dont understimate the x800 just bc the specs are close to the 9800... It is much more effecient.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Djax

Overclocking is your problem. Return your CPU to it's intended bin speed and I would imagine that will clear up your problems.

MissDjax

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Overclocking is your problem. Return your CPU to it's intended bin speed and I would imagine that will clear up your problems.

Returning to normal speed lowers my CPU score and overall Aquamark3 score from 43000 to 40000.

MissDjax

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
They could be using better ram than you, less fragmented HDD. :roll: X800 is more advanced than you cpu. Just cause you OC doesnt mean the perfomance is increased enough not to bottleneck. Dont understimate the x800 just bc the specs are close to the 9800... It is much more effecient.

I defragmented my HDD as well and I have NTFS, so there aren't much fragments anyway.
Sure, they can have better ram than I have and running at 400mhz FSB but I compare primarly the results with mine I acquired with my old 9800pro and I still can't understand why I have much less CPU score, it still doesn't make sense. The CPU should slow down the GPU performance but not inversely ?!
Djax, totally confused