I have a small 15 machine network with an old DC. I am trying to replace it
with a new server. Both are server 2000 with service pack 4. All of the data
is on the new machine but I can't promote it to a DC. When I run DCPROMO or
use the active directory wizard the DHCP and DNS services on the new machine
will not start after a reboot. When I remove the AD the DHCP and DNS runs
just fine. The old machine does not seem to be willing to share info with the
new machine. Any ideas?
Thanks,
John

"" wrote:
> I have a small 15 machine network with an old DC. I am trying
> to replace it
> with a new server. Both are server 2000 with service pack 4.
> All of the data
> is on the new machine but I can't promote it to a DC. When I
> run DCPROMO or
> use the active directory wizard the DHCP and DNS services on
> the new machine
> will not start after a reboot. When I remove the AD the DHCP
> and DNS runs
> just fine. The old machine does not seem to be willing to
> share info with the
> new machine. Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> John

I assume:
* the machine is a member server of your domain...
* DNS and DHCP services are installed on the new server and configured
* oldDC will be called OLDDC (just for reference here)
* newDC will be called NEWDC (just for reference here)

any errors in the event logs?
Steps:
* With the DHCP MMC authorize the NEWDC -> enterprise admin
permissions is needed
* Configure TCP/IP settings on NEWDC to point for the preferred DNS
server to OLDDC -> IPCONFIG /registerdns and stop and start netlogon
service
* DCPROMO NEWDC to a DC
* Make DCPROMO a GC (sites and services)
* Tranfers ALL 5 FSMO roles. Use Users and Computers, DOmain and
Trusts and Schema MMCs to do that or use NTDSUTIL from the command
line
* Let NEWDC and OLDDC replicate with each other as WINS push/pull
replication partners if you use WINS
* Point NEWDC for WINS only to itself if it is a WINS server
* Transfer all other data from OLDDC to NEWDC

After All data has been transfered from OLDDC to NEWDC:
* Configure TCP/IP settings on NEWDC to point for the preferred DNS
server to itself -> IPCONFIG /registerdns and stop and start netlogon
service
* Configure TCP/IP settings on OLDDC to point for the preferred DNS
server to NEWDC -> IPCONFIG /registerdns and stop and start netlogon
service
* With the DHCP MMC de-authorize the OLD -> enterprise admin
permissions is needed
* Break the WINS replication partnership
* Stop and disable DHCP service on OLDDC
* Stop and disable DNS service on OLDDC
* Stop and disable WINS service on OLDDC
* DCPROMO OLDDC to a member server
* Remove OLDDC from the domain

This should help you...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Trouble-replacing-DC-ftopict419824.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1402737

Check the event log and see why these services won't start. Most likely you
are running them under a certain user account (not default localsystem), and
after promoting this server to DC, this account no longer has "log on as a
service" privilege on new dc.

--
Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services