Odd Subst like problem on domain controller

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi,

I am not exactly sure where to post this so I posted it to all three
newsgroups.

I am having a problem Windows 2000 Advance Server domain controller
Service pack 4. I was called out to site on friday found out that
active directory won't start. I ran the server in directory recovery
mode (safe mode)

Found out that for some odd reason there is now a drive letter F:
attached to this server which is an exact mirror image of C: drive.
When I delete a file or create a file on either drive it shows up as
the same. It almost looks like someone used subst to mirror the
drive.

And active directory was on F: and C: references in the registry.
(Actually mostly F:)

How do I found out where this drive is coming from? I have looked in
Manage computer and see it. It's almost someone ran subst. I checked
and it is not running.

If I change all references in the registry from F: to C: and reboot
will it just work or will I run into other problems. I would really
like to know where or how this F: drive was created first and then
eventually get rid of it.

ttyl,

Allen Armstrong

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Further to below the drive is not visable in the Veritas Volume
Manager. This is replacement to the standard microsoft tool provided
by dell to manage the raid array.

Server is Dell PowerEdge 2500

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:29:07 -0700, Allen <colaguy44@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am not exactly sure where to post this so I posted it to all three
>newsgroups.
>
>I am having a problem Windows 2000 Advance Server domain controller
>Service pack 4. I was called out to site on friday found out that
>active directory won't start. I ran the server in directory recovery
>mode (safe mode)
>
>Found out that for some odd reason there is now a drive letter F:
>attached to this server which is an exact mirror image of C: drive.
>When I delete a file or create a file on either drive it shows up as
>the same. It almost looks like someone used subst to mirror the
>drive.
>
>And active directory was on F: and C: references in the registry.
>(Actually mostly F:)
>
>How do I found out where this drive is coming from? I have looked in
>Manage computer and see it. It's almost someone ran subst. I checked
>and it is not running.
>
>If I change all references in the registry from F: to C: and reboot
>will it just work or will I run into other problems. I would really
>like to know where or how this F: drive was created first and then
>eventually get rid of it.
>

>ttyl,
>

>Allen Armstrong

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:29:07 -0700, Allen <colaguy44@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am not exactly sure where to post this so I posted it to all three
>newsgroups.
>
>I am having a problem Windows 2000 Advance Server domain controller
>Service pack 4. I was called out to site on friday found out that
>active directory won't start. I ran the server in directory recovery
>mode (safe mode)
>
>Found out that for some odd reason there is now a drive letter F:
>attached to this server which is an exact mirror image of C: drive.
>When I delete a file or create a file on either drive it shows up as
>the same. It almost looks like someone used subst to mirror the
>drive.
>
>And active directory was on F: and C: references in the registry.
>(Actually mostly F:)
>
>How do I found out where this drive is coming from? I have looked in
>Manage computer and see it. It's almost someone ran subst. I checked
>and it is not running.
>
>If I change all references in the registry from F: to C: and reboot
>will it just work or will I run into other problems. I would really
>like to know where or how this F: drive was created first and then
>eventually get rid of it.
>

>ttyl,
>

>Allen Armstrong

If they have dynamic disks and ran the "update Rollup 1", this is a know issue:
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=891861 "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 and known issues "

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
http://www.jsifaq.com

"Allen" <colaguy44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am not exactly sure where to post this so I posted it to all three
> newsgroups.
>
> I am having a problem Windows 2000 Advance Server domain controller
> Service pack 4. I was called out to site on friday found out that
> active directory won't start. I ran the server in directory recovery
> mode (safe mode)
>
> Found out that for some odd reason there is now a drive letter F:
> attached to this server which is an exact mirror image of C: drive.
> When I delete a file or create a file on either drive it shows up as
> the same. It almost looks like someone used subst to mirror the
> drive.
>
> And active directory was on F: and C: references in the registry.
> (Actually mostly F:)
>
> How do I found out where this drive is coming from? I have looked in
> Manage computer and see it. It's almost someone ran subst. I checked
> and it is not running.
>
> If I change all references in the registry from F: to C: and reboot
> will it just work or will I run into other problems. I would really
> like to know where or how this F: drive was created first and then
> eventually get rid of it.
>

> ttyl,
>

> Allen Armstrong

I would be reluctant to change F: references back to C: in the registry.
It might cripple your machine. If it was my machine then I would
probably do this:

1. Using an imaging tool, a Bart PE boot CD or (reluctantly) ntbackup.exe,
create a full backup of the system partition.
2. Restore the backup to another disk to ensure that it works.
3. Run regedit and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.
4. Delete the reference to \DosDevices\F:.
5. Reboot the machine.