Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hi
running xp pro sp2, system extremly slow, reformatted
drive to remove clutter and still very slow. anyway of
finding conflict/s

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Col

thanks for the tip, have run defrag and clean up still
the same, have sent email with further details.

Brad

New installations leave the drive heavily fragmented. Have you run the
defragger? Do you run it regularly?

"brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
> running xp pro sp2, system extremly slow, reformatted
> drive to remove clutter and still very slow. anyway of
> finding conflict/s

Please do not email other posters unless requested. Replies should be to
the group so that other readers can benefit from and contribute to the
conversation. Kazaa is a good program for updating your viruses and
spyware. Not a good idea. One possible cause for slowness could be that
there is a program listed in a resgistry entry that is not on the computer
and the system is busy trying to resolve. Just an outlandish guess.

> [...]

"brad" wrote
> running xp pro sp2, system extremely slow, ...

Brad, How much RAM does it have? Rgds, JohnH

John

Thanks for the reply

256 RAM, i think the problem originated when number one
son loaded Kazaa and a game. Have removed both,
reformatted drive, clean disk, compat tested with xppro
disk, defraged and still going slow.

do you know of anyway to run something that will show any
conflicts?

Brad

Colin

Sorry for the email, hae learnt and will reply to group
from now on.

I agree whole heartedly about Kazaa it was one that
slipped in behind my back. As for your outlandish guess,
that is exactly what I think may be happening, however
have no idea on how to find the problem. Should I
consider sending the hard drive to a costly expert to
resolve or do you or anyone else have any tips.

Brad

You might try one of the registry cleaner programs. Norton System Works
includes one. Registry First Aid is another. I have used both without
incident. Some of the freeware cleaners have been reported here by other
posters to cause harm. It is by no means clear that this would deal with
it, but someone here will have a better idea than me.

"Brad 4 Colin B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Colin
>
> Sorry for the email, hae learnt and will reply to group
> from now on.
>
> I agree whole heartedly about Kazaa it was one that
> slipped in behind my back. As for your outlandish guess,
> that is exactly what I think may be happening, however
> have no idea on how to find the problem. Should I
> consider sending the hard drive to a costly expert to
> resolve or do you or anyone else have any tips.
>
> Brad

You will often be advised to add memory. Do this. However, if the system
was faster at one time than it is now, memory is not the current issue. It
is hard to tell.