response time

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I am a gamer, but I am not hardcore or anything so I was wondering if buying a 2ms lcd vs. a 8ms would really make a huge diffrence for me...also i would like to be able to watch DVD's on it... so would it really be that big of a diffrence?...also i have a dell 9300 lappy what are the response times on these LCD's usually?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Truthfully it wouldn't make a huge difference, but if you can get the 2ms instead of the 8ms without a large increase in price you should consider doing so.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
i have a apple cinema display 23" with a 16ms response time. It looks much better than my hp 19" ;) However, although that seems quite high these days, with larger monitors I don't think the response time makes that much of difference.

I am a gamer, but I am not hardcore or anything so I was wondering if buying a 2ms lcd vs. a 8ms would really make a huge diffrence for me...also i would like to be able to watch DVD's on it... so would it really be that big of a diffrence?...also i have a dell 9300 lappy what are the response times on these LCD's usually?

You should realize that there is no standardized way to measure response times. It is different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Also "ghosting" is based on how your brain processes the information your eyes feeds it. That means you may not be able to see "ghosting" when playing on a 2ms LCD, but other people may be able to.

The best thing to do is to see the LCD in action if possible.

I have a Viewsonic LCD with 8ms and I am quite happy with it. I have seen some reviews about the 4 and 2ms LCD's and the concensous was that they may not be that much better than a good 8ms LCD, and overall picture quality was not that great. I think Tom did a review on some of these, don't remember exactly when, you can do a search for it on the site.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Those 4ms-2ms responce times are mute, because an 8ms LCD is capable of 125Hz or 125fps, but because of the latency between the graphics card & the monitor/VSync enabled the graphics card has to wait until the LCD is ready for the next frame. VSync caps your frames to what your refresh rate is- 60Hz = 60fps cap, 75Hz =75fps cap. If image tearing don't bother you that much then with VSync off, your monitor is able run as fast as it was designed to run. Also if you can keep your fps closer to your refresh rate than image tearing is not noticed as much, just remember that refresh rate for an LCD is actuly responce time/latency. A lot of LCD makers cheat in how they messure responce times, the right way is how long it takes for one pixel to turn on-off and back on. Some only messure on-off times in doing so cheating!